Project Manager Consultant
Terre des Hommes Netherlands is looking for a Project Manager Consultant, to be based in Kilifi, Kenya with frequent travel to Kwale and Nairobi. This is a national position, open to applicants who can prove the right to live and work in Kenya. The project management consultancy period will be for a period of five Months, from 1st June to 31st October 2022.
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH NL) is an international child rights organisation committed to stopping child exploitation. TdH NL goal is hinged on the need to identify, expose and respond to hidden and emerging forms of child exploitation taking place all over the world, so children can be children.
Our vision is a world in which children are no longer exploited’ and our mission is ‘to prevent child exploitation, remove children from exploitative situations and ensure these children can develop in a safe environment.’
Our vision and mission are inspired and guided by international human rights instruments and standards, in particular the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Council of Europe’s Lanzarote Convention, the International Labour Organisation Conventions and aligned with achievement of the SDGs, in particular Goals 5, 8 and 16.
Guided by the 2021-25 strategy, TdH NL approach follows a 5 phase model: 1. Identify (child exploitation issues); 2. Research (investigate the nature and scope of these issues); 3. Expose & Design (design evidence-based interventions. share research findings, and work with key stakeholders to co-create solutions); 4. Mobilise (bring key stakeholders together to ensure solutions are scalable and sustainable); and 5. Hand over & monitor (ensure sustainable handover to partners). The strategy also places a strong emphasis on innovation and the use of technology to help tackle exploitation, whilst also ensuring children remain at the centre of all our work.
In Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Madagascar. In Kenya, TdH NL programmes are implemented in Central, Rift Valley, Coastal, Western and Northern regions of Kenya where we collaborate with other CSOs and networks in the execution of projects aimed at preventing child exploitation and providing assistance to exploited children.
About the Building a Future (BAF) Project
Building a Future is a 21 months project funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons, through Global Fund to End Modern Slavery (GFEMS). The BAF project is implemented by Terre des Hommes Netherlands and Kesho Kenya and envisages a reduction in sex trafficking or re-trafficking of children in Kwale and Kilifi Counties.
Project Impact: The project envisions a reduction in prevalence of trafficking and sexual exploitation among children in Kilifi and Kwale Counties.
Specific Project Outcomes:
- Survivors of child sex trafficking and children at risk remain in school.
- Schools play an active role in monitoring, identifying and reporting child sex trafficking through the established referral pathways.
- Vulnerable families have improved income.
- Older child sex trafficking survivors have increased employability skills and are able to earn a sustainable income.
- Communities develops positive social norms which discourage child sex trafficking.
Objective of the function
The Project Manager Consultant will be responsible for providing substantive technical, project, and administrative support in the planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the Building a Future project in line with defined objectives and quality Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). The post holder is expected to lead and support the project team to effectively and efficiently deliver the project. He/she will be expected to strengthen good cooperation with national and county stakeholders, relevant networks and alliances including but not limited to government, private sector, like-minded CSOs and communities.
The Project Manager Consultant, working together with the Finance Officer, Project Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and the implementing partner (Kesho Kenya) will be responsible for ensuring effective quality implementation through work planning, technical support, strategic engagement, coordination, (internal and external) and partner capacity building and support. The Consultant Project Manager will be responsible for the realisation of the BAF project in accordance with the defined goal(s) with regard to lead time, budget and quality.
Position in the organisation
S/he will work with the Kenya Country Team, and receive leadership and supervision from the Programme Manager (PM) to whom he/she will report to. He/she will, in close collaboration and consultation with the Programme Manager, be accountable for the rollout, coordination and oversight of the BAF project in Kilifi and Kwale Counties.
- 100% delivery of project key interventions as outlined in the project documents: Workplan, logframe and proposal. This includes 100% burn rate
- Execution of Project Learning Agenda and Endline Evaluation
- Effective execution of Project closeout
Results Areas, Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Realising the project objectives
- Overall coordination and support supervision to the implementing partner to effectively deliver the project as per the approved design, time and budget.
- Overall management including effective planning, implementation and monitoring of project outcomes.
- Translates a developed project plan into a concrete and achievable work plan for project execution, submits this to the client for approval and communicates the work plan to the stakeholders.
- Ensures project execution based on the work plan drawn up; directs the project team to this end, checks the progress of the project in terms of time, budget and quality and solves any conflicts/bottlenecks.
- Works with TdH NL finance team in effective project finance management, budget monitoring and tracking for better burn rates.
- Works professionally within TdH NL’s policies and codes of conduct, including those related to child protection/safeguarding, confidentiality, safety and security and ethical practice.
- Ensures that the project officers and partners follow the policies, processes and protocol regarding child safeguarding,
- Communicates incidents and violations of the policies in line with the established protocol.
- Oversees effective project close-out using TdH NL closeout guidelines and procedures.
Result: The project has been successfully implemented according to the objectives of the developed project plan and the project team is involved, well-functioning and informed.
- Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Works in close collaboration with the PMEL Officer and Regional PMEL Coordinator to monitor and report on the project progress.
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual project progress reports in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands reporting guidelines and those of GFEMS
- Provide regular/routine project implementation updates to Kenya Country Office (KCO) management team.
- Monitoring and safeguarding meaningful engagement of children in the implementation and management of the project.
- Provide technical inputs for child exploitation and child trafficking analyses, strategies and solutions and contribute to the development, dissemination and uptake of child exploitation knowledge products, capacity development materials and advocacy and information materials.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement of working methods and procedures and apply these improvements.
- As part of a team, translates developments and situation specific information into thematic and country annual and strategic policies.
- Assists in the continuous assessment of child protection needs and gaps in the counties in order to ensure that these are appropriately reflected in project strategies and interventions.
- Identifies new trends and developments in the area of child exploitation and sex trafficking.
- As and when relevant, coordinates the activities of assigned consultants for specific tasks, such as evaluations, learning agenda, etc.
- Supports the Senior Communication Advisor at the Regional Office with information and materials for marketing and communication, e.g. news items (case stories), documentaries and photos.
- Work the Senior Communication Advisor at the Regional Office to consolidate, package and disseminate project best practices, success stories and case studies.
- Ensures appropriate reporting, including through monthly and quarterly reports, are on time , accurate and as per GFEMS’s requirements.
- Has an active contribution to the continuous process of quality improvement for the provision of services in the specific policy area.
Result: Service has been improved in such a way that responses to relevant developments are made and contacts are maintained.
3.. Collaboration, Networking and Representation
- Follows and identifies relevant (social) developments and issues and translates these into opportunities for the organisation and developed projects.
- Evaluates realised projects and, if necessary, proposes improvements for future project execution.
- Maintains relevant network contacts and represents the organisation with internal and external relationships.
- Encourages and guides collaborative processes with internal and external stakeholders in the context of the project.
- Maintains contacts with stakeholders and interested parties to gauge whether the project meets expectations.
- Represents TdH NL in protection cluster meetings and contributes to interagency initiatives.
Result: Service has been improved, such that responses to relevant developments are made and contacts are maintained.
- Programme Development
- Support Country Manager Kenya and the Programme Development Manager in identifying project development opportunities in Kilifi and Kwale counties.
- Represent Kenya country office in critical spaces to increase visibility and credibility with donors and other external stakeholders ensuring we continue to claim our role as an expert organisation in our theme areas.
- Develop and share project ideas for further development into concept notes and proposals.
- Perform any other duties as relevant for the country programme as assigned and as can reasonably be expected from the position, in consultation with the line manager.
Education, experience and skills required
- Masters degree in Social Sciences, Gender, Development Studies or related fields.
- At least 5 years proven experience in managing child protection programmes. Experience in sexual exploitation (SEC) and trafficking Project Management is an considereable asset.
- In-depth knowledge of child protection and child labour laws and sector nationally, and locally
- Proven knowledge, skills and experience in stakeholders engagement, lobby and advocacy at all levels
- Familiarity with guidelines in Child Rights programming and coordination including SEC and sex trafficking prevention
- Proven knowledge and experience in developing and supporting community mobilization projects for SEC prevention and behaviour change
- Experience with financial management, solid understanding on planning, budgeting and project reporting
- Experience in supervising/leading a team including excellent partner management skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Planning, organising, cooperation, performance oriented
- High degree of taking initiative and working independently
- Exhibits composure and professionalism. Ability to represent TdH NL in Kenya to donors, government officials, other NGOs, other external stakeholders in a self assured manner.
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision.
Make others enthusiastic and motivate them to achieve a previously defined result. Encourage others to develop themselves to the full.
Level 2: Gives others the room to work independently and coaches them along the way.
B. Planning & Organising
The effective alignment of activities, time and resources to achieve objectives.
Level 3: Coordinates and aligns activities and supports and encourages others in the direct vicinity to start to plan and organise.
C. Problem-solving ability
Actively seek logical, tangible and realistic solutions for problems
Level 3: Can identify and articulate the core of the problem, can initiate the collection of relevant data and can propose solutions.
D. Performance orientation
Focused on goal setting and active achievement of results.
Level 3: Can articulate the results to be achieved – and achieve them!
How to apply
Please send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position, no later than by Wednesday, 4th May 2022 1600hrs (EAT). The application email subject should be: Project Manager Consultant – BAF Project
For more information about this position, you can contact us through the same email address.
Note that due to the expected large responses, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will also include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references.
- Job City Kwale, Kilifi