INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager
Duty station: Aydabiya
Starting date: 17/07/2022
Contract duration: 7 months (renewable)
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Supervision of: National Staff, Officers
General context of the project
INTERSOS is present in Libya since 2018 and it is currently implementing humanitarian projects in the West, South, and East of Libya. In the East, where duty station is located, INTERSOS is running programs to support social cohesion and promote understanding between host communities’ members, migrants and internally displaced people. In 2020, upon the grant confirmation and in partnership with NRC, INTERSOS stared working in the East of Libya with a multisectoral project funded by the European Union Trust Fund. INTERSOS is responsible for the implementation of the Education in Emergency and Child Protection Activities through the already consolidated methodology of the Baity Centre. This Community Centre is part of the protection programming with an aim to provide access to missing services in community to the most vulnerable population, offering safe space with child friendly services, non-formal education, psychosocial support, and activities that enhance life skills, while supporting parents and caregivers through ad hoc protection services. In 2022, additional projects are expected to start in the north area of operation with the same general aim to promote social cohesion and provide access to basic service to the most vulnerable population.
General purpose of the position
- Full managerial and technical responsibility of the project implementation; This includes responsibility for all aspects of the day-to-day operations within the defined area setting, including procurement, recruiting and managing staff, managing budgets and ensuring that the coverage and quality of the services provided meets predefined targets and set standards. S/he is responsible for on time and good quality, regular and ad hoc, both internal and external reporting.
- In cooperation with the management team, s/he represents INTERSOS at external meetings and in communication with the Consortium partner and with other relevant humanitarian actors.
- In cooperation with management team, s/he attends and actively contribute at technical coordination meetings, consortium technical meetings and other meetings as needed
Main responsibilities and tasks Day to Day operations management:
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating the implementation of the project, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per approved project’s proposal (set goal/targets)
- Make sure all the documentation related to the project on time is achieved and it is well kept, in line with relevant organisational policies so to ensure the whole history of the project is correctly handed over.
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analysing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in course.
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups with Consortium lead, donors, authorities, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that applied processes and management of the project are in line with donor regulations and INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, donor regulations and relevant international humanitarian standards
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges
- Ensure appropriate budget management. In collaboration with the Finance department, monitor and supervise expenditures and ensure proper management of project funds (forecast and update – project financial planning monthly) and propose budgetary adjustments to the Finance department and program/grant management team.
- Coordinate with the Finance and Logistic departments, communicating expected deliverables and monitor execution of the contracts with vendors and suppliers to procure material necessary for the implementation of the activities in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites.
Project Reporting and Development:
- On time and good quality, regular and ad hoc, both internal and external reporting to Consortium lead, donors, authorities and INTERSOS, using both standard and the specific donor requested reporting platforms and system and entering the update information like Consortium Narrative reports and ensuring follow up of the financial reports to the Donor through the agreed reporting platform.
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and store and achieve them on a designed organisational platform).
- Use Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and in cooperation with MEAL team and Management, conduct out exploratory missions and rapid assessments in line with INTERSOS strategy in the country, in order to analyses context, make informed decision on priorities, knowing constraints and population needs and design new project proposals using evidence base methodology.
- Support the Coordination team in the identification, preparation and development of new project proposals, ensuring these are in line with INTERSOS’ program goals, objectives and indicators.
- Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
- Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, Induction, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for Identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and maximise their capabilities and commitment.
Required profile and experience
Education Bachelor’s degree in Humanities and Social Sciences, Business, or a related field
- 3-5 years of project management and related experience
- Experience in consortium management is an asset
- Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline
- Knowledge of the legal framework and international standards that governs INTERSOS operations, as required by local and national government and by major donors (EU, UN, US, Bilateral Donors)
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- Proficiency in Arabic is an asset
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
- Job City Aydabiya