Position: Project Manager Mali
Location: Bamako, with fields visits in the areas of intervention of the NGO in Mali (depending on security conditions)
Family Duty Station: NO
Starting date: ASAP
Application deadline: 19/06/2023
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
WeWorld supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld has been active in Mali since 2019. The sectors of intervention are food security and support to resilience, protection with special focus on child protection and the most vulnerable groups of population, in particular IDPs. Future activities will enlarge the intervention in the fields of education and school feeding, including cash transfer. WeWorld currently works in the regions of Mopti and Gao. Currently we have a national representation office in Bamako, a field office in Douentza et Gao and an operational presence in Mopti with the help of the partners.
The Project Manager will be in charge of the general operational coordination and execution of the activities necessary for the realization of the project “Iniziativa promossa AID 012590/09/7– “ALIS: Accesso al Lavoro e Inclusione Sociale per i giovani maliani” financed by Italian Cooperation. The project coordinator/Trice is responsible for the overall setting and planning of activities both from a technical and management point of view that will be implemented in Bamako.
He/she will ensure the quality of the implementation in all its phases: planning, activities follow-up, monitoring and reporting, in coordination with the field teams and partners (CISV, LVIA, APEJ, HYDROAID and COGEVAD) and in collaboration with the admin departments.
The Project Manager will be under the direct line management of the Country Representative in Mali. In coordination with her, he/she will represent the NGO in the relevant meetings related with the projects under his/her management.
Main functions and duties:
Project Management (60 %)
- Leading, monitoring and supporting the planning of project’s activities, ensuring effective delivery in line with donor requirements and WeWorld’s mission
- Supervising the activities of the project partners by ensuring that the timeframes and procedures stipulated in the official Project documents and AICS procedures are followed
- Supervising the tasks and monitor the activities carried out by project staff by outlining their priorities, facilitating and encouraging their coordination, in coordination with project partners
- Monitor the progress of activities, track the achievement of indicators, ensure the timely delivery of both internal and external reports
- Drafting documents related to project implementation, ensuring their accurate and timely delivery, such as: periodic operational plans and any additions and extensions; interim and final reports; requests for variants to be submitted to the donor agency for approval; preparation of dissemination materials
- Manage project budget, under the supervision of the Country Financial Manager, ensuring that all expenditures made are in line with the approved financial plan and consistent with project objectives, formulating financial planning on a monthly basis in coordination with partners
- Supervising in coordination with the administrative manager and the LOG/Admin Assistant that purchasing procedures are in line with the requirements of the donor agency
- Coordinating and organizing the documentation required by the donor (collection of bids for purchases and possible tenders) and in close coordination with the Country Financial Manager and LOG/Admin Assistant by referring to the Internal Procedures Manual adopted by the Organization
- Preparing project planning, worksheets and activities follow-up mechanisms (general/specific activity plan, procurement plan, M&E plan, etc.)
- Supervising the field staff to comply with planning documents and putting corrective mechanisms in place if necessary
- Preparing internal and external reports to ensure effective and timely information flows and reporting
- Ensuring timely information on progress, results and challenges
- Compiling, organizing, analysing, monitoring, and preparing data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting products
- Ensuring efficient, effective and timely field data collection and analysis for donors, audits, and internal purposes
- Comply with WeWorld’s internal procedures, ensuring the timely execution of scheduled tasks and maintaining work standards marked by quality and efficiency
Project staff Capacity Building and General (10%)
- Recruiting and training of new key team members
- Identifying learning and training opportunities for project staff and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
- Ensuring transparent, equal and inclusive management of human resources in accordance with internal policies and procedures, and all regulatory requirements of country legislation and donor’s policy
- Fostering an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensuring that the highest standards of conduct are observed
Partnership and Networking (20%)
- Managing regular contacts with operational and institutional stakeholders involved in project implementation, in coordination with project partners
- Participating in institutional meetings with the donor agency
- Participating in Cluster/Working Groups coordination meetings and other emergency working groups or meetings as required
- Representing WeWorld and feed back to the Country Representative and HQ coordinators on relevant issues
- Developing and maintaining regular, transparent and accountable communication lines/flows with the assigned project staff, HQ experts, as well as other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs)
- In coordination with the Country Representative, providing effective WeWorld representation to project’ donor (AICS), national and local authorities, partners and other relevant stakeholders related with the project
Strategic Programme Development (10%)
- Developing new project proposals in collaboration with the Country Representative and HQ coordinators, involving a multi-sectorial approach, expanding the intervention of WeWorld in new sectors
- Providing strategic and technical guidance on key components of WeWorld’s emergency work to foster good practice and ensure that humanitarian minimum standards are met
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Law and International Law, Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International Relations, Project Management or related fields
- Excellent knowledge of the Italian language, written and verbal
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures
- Fluent in French, both written and verbal
- At least 3 years of experience in project and programs managing
- Knowledge of PCM and the principles of humanitarian aid
- Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package
- At least 3 years’ relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings
- Proven experience in consortium management
- Proven experience in project proposal writing
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stress conditions
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage effectively multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards
- Strong commitment to WeWorld Mission
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Experience in Project management with local partners will be a plus
- Previous work experience in Sahel or in social context with high complexity
- Intermediate in English
WHAT WE OFFER
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract
Economic conditions to be defined according to WeWorld Expatriates Compensation Policy: Base Salary (seniority/role held) + Contributions (role complex and hardship based on place of work; schooling, flights for children and insurance coverage for children)
Other conditions: Tax Treatment: equal tax treatment between Italian and foreign residents is guaranteed
Annual leave: 2,5 days/month (working days)
Flight ticket: one return flight every 12 months of contract
Health insurance: covered
R&R: YES (5 days each 12 weeks – Daily Allowance covers costs of expenses for food, accommodation and travel)
WHO WE ARE
WeWorld supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld works in 27 countries around the world, including in Italy, with more than 120 emergency, humanitarian aid and development projects. Its activities mainly involve women, girls and young people, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world.
The organization operates in several natural and man-made crisis in various regions of the world. The emergency response, coordinated by the Humanitarian Aid Unit, is composed by multi-sectorial interventions comprising of WASH, EiE, CVA, Food Security, Protection, and others. The organization operates also in protracted crisis with provision of humanitarian aid through a prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation approach.
How to apply
Please send Cover Letter and CV at: https://weworld.intervieweb.it/jobs/project-manager-mali-385875/en/
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found. Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Poplicies.
The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency