Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Media Officer – The Inclusive Religious Engagement in Nigeria Enhanced by Women (I-RENEW)
Location: Jos, Plateau
Department / Program: Programs
Duration: 12 months (with possibilities of extension, subject to budget availability and performance.)
Level: Relevant Experience
Reports to: Project Manager
Working relations: Support units (PAL, Finance, DMEL, Communications)
- The Inclusive Religious Engagement in Nigeria Enhanced by Women (I-RENEW) Project aims to empower women religious actors and youth activists to promote freedom of religion or belief (FoRB) and inter and intra religious peaceful coexistence in Plateau and Kaduna States in collaboration with the Federation of Muslim Women Associations in Nigeria (FOMWAN), and the Centre for Dialogue, Reconciliation, and Peace (DREP).
- A professional and highly motivated Project Media Officer will work in close collaboration with the Project Manager to implement all the project activities.
- S/he will be responsible for effective organization and coordination of meetings and training workshops and support the project manager in carrying out conflict assessments and monitoring of FoRB-related conversations, support FoRB and Common Ground Advocacy Trainings for women religious leaders and youth activists who will conduct step-down learning sessions, facilitation Intra and Inter-faith Solidarity Activities for women and youth, conduct youth and women-led FoRB sensitisation in universities; support advocacy strategy workshop and visits with high-level faith leaders and policy makers; support capacity building to male faith leaders on women’s empowerment and FoRB; support the training faith leaders on conflict-sensitive online and offline religious messaging; support the training on Common Ground Journalism and Conflict-Sensitive Reporting on religious issues; coordinate radio programmes and the production of Short ‘Viral’ Videos for Social Media on FoRB.
- The Project Media Officer will also coordinate the social media influencers on the project.
- The Project Media Officer will closely support the line Manager in implementing project activities and the production of expected reports for the project.
- The Project Media Officer will be responsible for assisting the line manager in project related activities, ensuring smooth operations of the project and consistency of project implementation with Search’s and donor regulations.
- He/she shall ensure that the project’s plans are in place and kept updated as per the project’s overall objective.
- S/he will contribute to all reporting requirements of the project.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and arrange all logistics for various meetings, and workshops, including invitations, venue, participants travel and accommodation while working with the logistics team to ensure that logistical management for project implementation is provided in real time
- In collaboration with the line manager, facilitate the creation and implementation of a detailed annual work-plan, which identifies sequences of activities needed to successfully implement the project and ensure project objectives are met;
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, facilitate the development and roll-out of detailed implementation plans at the State and National level;
- Review the project schedule with the line Manager and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise and regularly review the schedule as required;
- Document project activities and ensure that all project data is appropriately secured;
- Monitor the progress of the project implementation and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the project remains on track and is successfully implemented;
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project.
- The Project Officer will document the program activities, the planning of different activities, under the supervision of the thematic experts.
- Nurture positive relationships with media partners and consultants.
- Develop activity work plans, media production and broadcast plans and strategies;
- Lead the curriculum process using Search’s common ground approach to develop the intended outcomes, knowledge, attitude and behavior change objectives for the radio programs, determine the target audience, and key messages of the media content;
- Support the Communications Coordinator to develop and implement the promotion, publicity, outreach plan and strategy of the media products to the target audience; as well as providing necessary support to manage social media profiles relating to the project, including publishing and distributing content, running campaigns and monitoring progress;
- Oversee/maintain Search’s studio equipment and ensure the quality of the production of the media products.
- Keep track of media logs, monitor the broadcast of the media products and provide regular feedback to the service providers;
- Coordinate with the program teams to integrate program messages into media programming streams;
- Track and document organization’s news coverage through online and traditional sources;
- Liaise with stakeholders as assigned by the project manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Peacebuilding, Development Studies, Media & Communications or a related discipline (or equivalent experience,).
- A good understanding of the North region of Nigeria, particularly in terms of key political, social, security and economic issues
- At least 2 years experience of project implementation, including engagement with several actors – governments, community, and religious leaders, civil society, governments, security organizations and specialist networks, etc.
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Resident in Plateau, speaks local language Hausa fluently
- Excellent diplomacy and interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a non-partisan manner, appreciating gender, cultural and ethnic diversity
- Attention to detail and ability to follow up on tasks to completion is required.
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative to generate valuable findings and communicate them in a timely manner.
- Media experience with proficiency in utilizing media tools such as digital recorders, cameras, audio visual editing tools (Adobe Audition. Photoshop etc.) and scriptwriting.
- Established media relationships in the focal states.
- Ability to efficiently create and send reports during critical times or deadlines.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Prior experience in advocacy, liaison and collaboration with donors, partners, security agencies, relevant government agencies, security forces and media is desirable.
- Experience working in a conflict (hard to reach) environment is a plus.
Application Closing Date
27th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is only open to Nigerian nationals.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Programme Manager – Livelihoods Building Resilient Communities in West Kordofan (BRICK – II) at Concern Worldwide
- Coordinateur.trice de Zone at ACTED
- Regional Program Manager (With focus on South Sudan)- Africa at Relief International
- Dispatcher I at the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Flying Finance Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Belgium