Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer – Promoting and Protecting Freedom of Religion and Belief in Nigeria (PP-FORB Nigeria)
Employment Type: Full-Time – Local
- Promoting and Protecting Freedom of Religion and Belief in Nigeria (PP-FORB Nigeria) project aims to to empower actors to prevent and address conflicts along religious lines and advance Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB) in Nigeria by establish effective Early Warning/Early Response (EWER) and referral mechanisms for addressing FoRB violations and violence along religious lines in Nigeria, strengthening support mechanisms for individuals at risk of FoRB violations and enhance public understanding of interfaith conflict and the importance of FoRB.
- A professional and highly motivated Project Officer will work in close collaboration with the Project Manager to implement all the project activities.
- S/he will be responsible for effective organization and coordination of meetings and training workshops and support the project manager in carrying out conflict assessments and monitoring of FoRB-related conversations and incidents, support the establishment inter-religious EWER platform for FoRB, national and community level convenings, reporting and documenting project activities, organizing media related activities and the development of a curriculum and the production of film that highlights the role of FoRB Champions in Nigeria
- The Project Officer will closely support the line Manager in implementing project activities and the production of expected reports for the project.
- The Project officer will be responsible for assisting the line manager in project related activities, ensuring smooth operations of the project and consistency of project implementation with Search’s and donor regulations.
- He/she shall ensure that the project’s plans are in place and kept updated as per the project’s overall objective.
- S/he will contribute to all reporting requirements of the project.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and arrange all logistics for various meetings, and workshops, including invitations, venue, participants travel and accommodation while working with the logistics team to ensure that logistical management for project implementation is provided in real time
- In collaboration with the line manager, facilitate the creation and implementation of a detailed annual work-plan, which identifies sequences of activities needed to successfully implement the project and ensure project objectives are met;
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, facilitate the development and roll-out of detailed implementation plans at the State and National level;
- Review the project schedule with the line Manager and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise and regularly review the schedule as required;
- Document project activities and ensure that all project data is appropriately secured;
- Monitor the progress of the project implementation and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the project remains on track and is successfully implemented;
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project.
- The Project Officer will document the program activities, the planning of different activities, under the supervision of the thematic experts.
- Liaise with stakeholders as assigned by the project manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Peacebuilding, Development Studies, Media & Communications or a related discipline (or equivalent experience).
- A good understanding of the North region of Nigeria, particularly in terms of key political, social, security and economic issues
- At least 2 year experience of project implementation, including engagement with several actors – governments, community, and religious leaders, civil society, governments, security organizations and specialist networks, etc.
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Resident in Abuja, speaks local language Hausa fluently
- Excellent diplomacy and interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a non-partisan manner, appreciating gender, cultural and ethnic diversity
- Attention to detail and ability to follow up on tasks to completion is required.
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative to generate valuable findings and communicate them in a timely manner.
- Ability to efficiently create and send reports during critical times or deadlines.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Prior experience in advocacy, liaison and collaboration with donors, partners, security agencies, relevant government agencies, security forces and media is desirable.
- Experience working in a conflict (hard to reach) environment is a plus.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is only open to Nigerian nationals..
- Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal.
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please compile your cover letter, resume and all supporting documentation into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.