Reports to: Gender Youth & Social Dynamics Lead
Duration: 5 months
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our Relivevalues and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons based on need, regardless of creed, ethnicity, or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) opened operations in Ken ya in 1965. For over 50 years, we have worked throughout the country to implement programs in agriculture, health, microfinance, water, sanitation, emergency relief and peacebuilding. We have built deep relationships with the Government of Kenya and the Catholic Church through ongoing collaboration and support. CRS’ projects in Kenya currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, emergency response, HIV care and treatment, and services for orphans and vulnerable children. CRS Kenya implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
CRS is leading a consortium of international non-governmental organizations (INGOs), local implementing partners (LIPs) and research institutions to implement a USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) funded 5-year Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) in Isiolo and Marsabit counties, Kenya. The overall goal of this multi-sectoral activity is to sustainably reduce persistent levels of acute malnutrition in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs). The activity is being implemented in two phases:
- Phase I (1.5-2 years) Research, test approaches and collaboratively design a context-sensitive, multi-sectoral activity that sustainably reduces acute malnutrition.
- Phase II (3- 3.5 years): Multi-sectoral Activity implementation and adaptation and Local System and Institutional Strengthening.
The Project Officer – Gender & Youth will support effective execution of Nawiri gender and youth focused strategies to ensure rigorous and efficient implementation of both the pilot and the gender youth and social dynamics (GYSD) analysis and the impacts on acute malnutrition. S/he will facilitate, monitor, and report on all project activities related to the gender and social norms. S/he will support consortium partners and local partners in coordinating and implementing pilot activities and related data collection for the gender youth and social dynamics analysis. The Officer’s thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to the target communities.
- * Support implementation of SMART Couple in Isiolo that includes beneficiary training, training of facilitators, and follow up activities
- Timely preparation and submission of weekly plans and updates as well as monthly and quarterly reports and share both to Head of Office and GYSD Lead
- Support gender integration across all the project interventions at household, community, ward, subcounty and county levels
- Represent GYSD in team and in relevant county meetings highlighting key GYSD issues, strategies and interventions
- Support identification, recruitment and capacity building of GYSD Champions in consultation with Nawiri and county teams in collaboration with LIPs
- Support implementation of relevant GYSD activities as planned in Nawiri Y3 DIP Q1, Q2 and Q3 work plans these include but not limited to coordinating sensitization and capacity building meetings, dissemination of learnings, registration of births and issuance of national IDs among others
- Coordinate women, youth and PWD empowerment activities across the county
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Observation, active listening, and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Good relationship management skills and ability to work with local partners, County governments, and local community members.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and tact demonstrated through previous roles that require communication with broad and diverse groups and partners.
- Attention to details, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to work in challenging and changing environments, see through challenges to find solutions.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; ability to draft and edit reports.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in Kiswahili with local dialects in Isiolo County.
- Preference will be given to residents of Isiolo County
50% field travel to Nawiri project sites as applicable
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: County Head of Offices; Gender, Youth and Social Dynamics Lead; SBC Specialist: Nawiri Project Officers and all Nawiri Technical Leads
External: Consortium partners, Implementing partners, Isiolo County government bodies.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Gender and Development Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, or other relevant fields.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in project support in ASAL areas of Kenya
- Experience with conducting gender and youth analyses, assessments and evaluations and other related research, including applying data collection tools and methodologies.
- Deep understanding of gender and youth dynamics, nutrition and operational research in Northern Kenya similar livelihood and geographic contexts (a plus)
- Experience in participatory action planning, community engagement and projects monitoring.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous improvement & Innovation
- Builds relationship
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS Kenya stri ves to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities.
*By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.*
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
How to apply