Position: Project Officer – Juba, South Sudan (National)
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call’s mission is to ensure that armed groups and de facto authorities (AGDA) respect International Humanitarian Law and basic humanitarian principles in the areas where they fight or they control.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Project Officer will be in charge of the implementation of project activities as part of Geneva Call’s programme to enhance the protection of the civilian population in the Republic of South Sudan.
Planning, Coordination & Reporting
- Participate in the drafting of annual and monthly programme plans, budgets, and project activities monitoring plans in consultation with Programme Coordinator, Finance and Admin Coordinator, and other team members;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses of budgets and available funding, including supporting documents;
- Responsible for quality project implementation and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing of programme documents and materials;
- Collect and analyse, through regular field missions, information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s) and relay this to Programme Coordinator.
- Maintains a close work relationship with partner team and in particular its Project Manager;
- Seeks partner’s highest level of engagement and anticipates/reports on shortcomings (activities, administrative, other);
- Plans with partner, anticipates and proposes solutions on the activities, constraints, capacity building.
Communications & External relations
- In coordination with the Programme Coordinator, engage local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist Programme Coordinator in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders;
- Support Programme Coordinator to produce external communications materials in coordination with Country Director and global/regional Communications team(s);
- Draft speaking points and messages for Geneva Call including country team members;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about the project and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and achievements;
- Support implementation of communications strategy including activities, campaigns, events and other initiatives.
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures to the management of Geneva Call in South Sudan and following up on incidents as necessary.
- Remains at all times involved with vetting procedures and concerns while working with partners, suppliers, interlocutors.
Education and experience
- A relevant Master degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Proven experience in International Humanitarian Law, Protection of Civilians.
- Experience in project cycle management.
- Willingness and ability to travel at short notice.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in a humanitarian organization working in conflict areas in the protection field and engagement with armed actors (ANSAs, other armed actors)including in managing teams of at least 2 people.
- Proven track record of field work experience with INGOs in conflict and crisis affected countries and emergency contexts.
- Experience of fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors.
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results.
- Excellent dispute resolution, facilitation and team building skills.
- Substantial knowledge of international development systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices.
- Ability to work under pressure and in conflict?affected settings, and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously.
- English (C1-C2).
- Local country language is mandatory.
- French (C1-C2) is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
- Interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial mindset.
- Capacity to travel to the field.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Project Officer
- Type of Contract: Fixed term contract (National position)
- Activity rate: 100%
- Work place: Juba, South Sudan
- Preferred start date: as soon as possible
How to apply
To apply please follow the link:
No later than 5 July, 2023. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Gender and Protection Analysis at Action contre la Faim France
- Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officer at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- Portfolio Finance Officer at the Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
- Knowledge Management Officer – Nigeria SCALE at Palladium Group
- Accountability Officer at Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI)