The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a disaggregated data collection, analysis, and crisis mapping project. The ACLED team conducts analysis to describe, explore, and test conflict scenarios, and makes both data and analysis open for free use by the public. ACLED material is regularly used to inform journalism, academic research, and public discourse on conflict, and to support the work of practitioners and policymakers. ACLED is the highest quality and most widely used real-time data and analysis source on political violence and protest around the world.
ACLED is recruiting a full-time Project Officer to oversee and assist with the coordination of various projects. This position is fully remote and can be done from any location with reliable internet service. The Project Officer will be supervised by the Senior Programs Manager and will be responsible for the following (primarily in relation to the projects they oversee):
Coordination and Administration
- Lead on project start-up, implementation, and coordination
- Lead on project administration, including maintaining, updating, and filing crucial project documents, ensuring all documents are approved by senior management, organizing tasks, and contracting
- Lead on project reporting (both narrative and financial) and monitoring and evaluation through the full project cycle, including supporting the team around effectively tracking specific indicators
- Ensure project success by aligning and motivating teams to achieve project objectives and adhere to timelines, with particular reference to the project’s work plan
- Identify and resolve challenges associated with the project, including coordinating between the project team and other relevant stakeholders and teams as needed
- Schedule and take minutes for all relevant internal and external meetings
- Support on the management of the project’s budget through tracking spending and variance
- Serve as point of contact for local partners and donors
- Develop invoices and payment requests
- Oversee project procurement, travel, logistics, etc.
- Ensure strict compliance with donor and federal regulations
- Other ad hoc tasks that may arise
Also Read Nigeria Ngo Jobs
- Help to establish security, risk, and knowledge management policies and procedures for project staff
- Ensure security, risk, and knowledge management policies and procedures are followed by all project staff, and that any incidents are brought to their supervisors’ attention
- Organize and lead meetings with the project team to review progress and discuss next steps, including sending out relevant information before and after
- Liaise with Communications department on project-specific and relevant communications
- Support the development of promotional materials for the project
- Support the development of project-specific branding as necessary
- Support traditional media outreach and engagement for the project
Skills and competencies
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- 2-3 years of experience managing complex projects with tight timelines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure, troubleshoot challenges, and meet short- and long-term deadlines;
- Experience in program administration and operations;
- Experience with donor reporting and M&E;
- Experience in drafting project budgets, invoices, and financial reporting;
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
- Good judgment and extremely high attention to detail;
- Fluency in English (essential); and,
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office and Google Workspace suites.
Candidates that can additionally demonstrate the skills below will be favored:
- Proficiency in intercultural communications;
- Academic experience related to international relations, conflict studies, or peacebuilding;
- Familiarity with leading team communication platforms (Slack, Asana) preferred;
- Proficiency with Tableau (preferred) or other data visualization software;
- Knowledge of project funding procedures and guidelines;
- Proficiency in copy-writing and editing;
- Knowledge of the political situations in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, and Sudan; and,
- Fluency in Arabic, Amharic, Somali, Swahili, or other relevant local languages.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience. Please note that only those with legal authorization to work in the US (citizenship, permanent residence, or work permit) will be considered. Please submit your annual salary requirement for consideration. The rate should be in USD and pre-tax, as is the custom in the USA. Applications without this information will not be considered.
Further information on the project is available online at acleddata.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.