Position Title: Project Officer (RR, Knowledge Management and Reporting)
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 15 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Programme Manager for the Reintegration and Reconciliation (RR) initiative, the successful candidate will oversee, and report on, the development and implementation of Knowledge Management and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities, ensure the production of reports, data and analysis based on the M&E activities, and provide expert technical support to knowledge management and reporting requirements within the programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the Programme Manager to strengthen the Reintegration and Reconciliationprogramme (RR) and ensure coherence between the different DDRR projects as well as between the RR programme in Nigeria and the other RR programmes in the Lake Chad Basin region.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Knowledge Management strategy of the RR programme.
- Develop standardized M&E and reporting tools for all RR projects, particularly mechanisms required to carry out the three levels of “rolling analysis” – country, programme and project, and in order to provide recommendations to the Programme Manager aiming at achieving maximum strategic programme responsiveness and accountability to beneficiaries.
- Develop and implement communication protocols and information-sharing tools/ mechanisms, in coordination with programme management, field teams and programme partners, to ensure improved information sharing between all programme participants and stakeholders. This is to include establishing a system for regular communication on grant implementation with relevant programme units.
- In coordination with the RR Programme Manager, manage and monitor ongoing activities ofthe programme, ensure the exchange of monitoring information with external partners as necessary to maintain appropriate visibility with grant activities.
- Oversee the collection of data and analysis (qualitative and quantitative) for the preparation ofreports and feedback.
- Develop criteria and instruments/tools to identify, document and share best practices as knowledge products of the RR programme, ensuring the best means of communicating learning to different audiences to include but not limited to programme development staff, operational staff, government partners, donors, and any other relevant stakeholder.
- Represent IOM and RR programming in M&E venues and related coordination meetings with humanitarian, security, and development partner agencies.
- Develop and ensure the implementation of programmatic systems that ensure greater programme responsiveness and accountability to beneficiaries, and provide critical feedback and advice to programme management, managing programme-level analyses of programme performance.
- Develop and organize regular trainings for programme staff, implementing partners and governmental agencies participating in the RR Action Plan/Operation Project Team to:
- promote adherence to agreed standards of implementation.
- create greater awareness of reporting requirements.
- encourage widespread use of appropriate data collection methods; and
- gather feedback regarding the effectiveness of these methods.
- Provide technical and programmatic support for the operationalization of Outcome 10 of the RR Action Plan, i.e., “Government further strengthens RR programming based on monitoring and evaluation results”.
- Undertake regular travel to field locations to build the capacity of the programme’s knowledge management and M&E activities, including through the recruitment and training of experienced national staff in order to meet expanding programme needs; conduct and/or enable field visits using appropriate tools to monitor and recommend improvements to the effectiveness of the programme activities.
- Supervise the Knowledge Management and reporting team effectively to ensure the correct implementation of the knowledge management strategy and comprehensive and detailed reporting on project activities throughout all stages of implementation, including monthly multi-donor reports and info sheets, as well as quarterly, annual and final grant reports.
- Assess and report on programme status, impact, and response to specific issues to a variety of audiences and through various formats. Review reports from external monitoring actors and incorporate important information into senior management team briefings. Organize frequent briefings for programme Senior Management to present lessons learned and inform revisions to regional strategies.
- Review or prepare project-level M&E plans, ensure their pertinence to programme goals and objectives, and advise on monitoring and evaluation trends and activities on a geographic or thematic level.
- Prepare project and/or programme-level evaluation TORs, identify internal/external evaluators, and coordinate their implementation.
- Maintain and strengthen the organization’s relationship with the donors and regularly share programme experiences, engage in cross-fertilization of ideas across implementing partners, and coordinate project development and/or revision activities, as required, ensuring adherence to internal processes.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Development, Political, International Relations, Governance or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in community/development service provision or programming, M&E design, or implementation, or both;
- Experience in M&E in insecure environments;
- Experience working in a complex crisis environment;
- Experience in DDR or Transitional and Recovery Programmes is an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of M&E design and tools;
- Ability to adapt M&E tools to work effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, and beneficiaries;
- Excellent communication and strong writing skills;
- Strong general analytical skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of one of the IOM Official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is desirable.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 02.06.2022 to 15.06.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 156 Project Officer (RR, Knowledge Management and Reporting) (P3) Abuja, Nigeria (57606072) Released
Posting: Posting NC57606073 (57606073) Released
- Job City Abuja