The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The Urban Economy Branch of UN-Habitat has the mandate to promote local capabilities
Project Support Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant’s main responsibility will be to deliver on specific activities related to UN-Habitat’s SDG localization team projects.
Specifically, the consultant will be responsible for the following tasks: Knowledge management
Delivery of the research project and supervise the management of the digital platform on multilevel governance, and provision of technical expertise for the development of knowledge material on VLRs as well as local reviews developed by local partners.
- Supervision of the management of the digital platform: multilevelgovernance.org
- Preparation of background material for meetings with the knowledge partners and provision technical guidance for the development of the global research on multilevel governance
- Manage the necessary administrative tasks for the development of the research and the digital platform
- Prepare and implement workshops related to the project and the topic of multilevel governance, specifically in occasion of Urban October.
- Provision of technical expertise for the development of knowledge material, specifically for the development of the VLR-COVID-19 tool
- Review Voluntary Local Reviews developed by partner cities
Providing technical guidance and administrative support for the kickstart and implementation of two global projects on SDG Localization and Voluntary Local Reviews.
- Prepare implementing partners’ coordination meetings, including support in the preparation of background material (briefings; agendas etc.) as well as reporting (minutes; note taking etc.)
- Manage administrative processes necessary for the implementation of both projects
- Based on the workplan, provide an overview of the administrative needs and gaps, proposing solutions to the project manager on how to address them
- Provide technical expertise in the preparation of the projects’ implementation process – country workplan; training calendar etc.
- Prepare the background material for the preparation and implementation d workshops related to the projects.
Monitoring & Evaluation
Provide guidance on the monitoring instruments and processes for the projects coordinated by the team, especially the regional and global projects covering Eastern European, Central Asian, Arab, African, and Easter Asian countries. Responsibilities include:
- Manage data collection on the project implementation processes.
- Prepare tools for the collection of data and information related to the implementation of the projects – surveys, online forms etc.
- Prepare the necessary monitoring reports (narrative and financial) for the projects managed by the team
- Prepare and keep updated the monitoring and evaluation database for both projects
- Professionalism: Strong programme management, monitoring skills. Good coordination skills, with ability to handle multiple activities concurrently, work under pressure and to tight deadlines. Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to undertake complex research independently.
- Teamwork: Ability to participate effectively in teams of various expertise as well as organizations. The candidate should share credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings and should have a positive approach to work with consistent energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Academic Qualifications: University Degree in Public Affairs, Political Science, Social Sciences, Urban Studies Social Sciences, Communications, Development Studies or other relevant area is required.
- Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience on working on issues related to sustainable development, urban planning, local development and project management is required. Working experience on Agenda 2030 and the local implementation of the SDGs will be highly valued.
- Language: Fluency in English is mandatory for this specific consultancy. Knowledge of another UN official language, specifically Russian (written and oral), is an asset.
Method of Application
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Medecins du Monde (MdM) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- COVID-19 Vaccines Logistics Consultant at Chemonics
- Coordinateur·trice Terrain Adjoint·e Programmes – N’Délé – RCA at Première Urgence Internationale
- Humanitarian Inclusion Advisor at CBM Global Disability Inclusion
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)