Role & Responsibilities
The Project Support Manager is responsible for the daily support of Pibor-based staff and for the general support to facilities in Pibor and ensures that the project continues to run effectively in terms of supplies, storage and base management. This role oversees Human Resources, Finance and Logistics.
To reduce the morbidity and mortality of displaced populations and acutely vulnerable host communities in South Sudan through the provision of emergency nutrition and health services in Greater Pibor Administrative Area.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Pibor, South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
January 2022. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Ensure smooth running of Pibor base including line managing base support staff to ensure the effective running of the compound. Manage and track expenditure of Pibor base budget by ensuring spending is in accordance with time frames and adjusts spending. Coordinating the routine maintenance of base infrastructure and equipment, repairing items.
- Development and implementation of robust systems designed to ensure the physical security of the base and to prevent the theft of Medair assets and equipment and the fraudulent use of Medair resources.
- Welcoming and briefing new Medair staff and visitors (external / Medair visitors) to the base, arranging and ensuring they have all the information needed for their stay (e.g. base layout, security, local information, domestic arrangements, etc.)
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, warehousing, equipment and fleet. Ensure that logistics staff follow the Medair procurement procedure, donor regulations on procurement, maintaining both a hard and soft copy system of all procurement documents.
- Ensure transport procedures are being followed in the daily management of fleet and drivers including servicing of vehicles and always having spares available for vehicles, Boats and for the generators used in the project.
- Planning weekly staff movements considering staff and fleet availability and programme requirements, ensuring the most efficient use of Medair resources.
- Ensure Medair warehouse procedures are followed both at the Pibor Warehouse and at all field sites where stock is stored. Liaising with external contacts, such as landlords, utility companies, local tradesmen and contractors, service providers, etc, ensuring services are delivered on time, on budget and to an acceptable standard.
- Manage the Project Support Officer and supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines, salary payments are timely and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Work with the Project Managers and the Project Coordinator in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs. Act as finance officer during times of absence for the Project Support Officer.
- Oversee the Human Resource management function at the project site, supervising the Project Support Officer and supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc. Represent Medair to all local ministries and commissions, in relation to labour issues.
- Ensure line managers are supported by Juba as necessary on disciplinary action and grievance procedures, ensuring that the correct procedures are followed and records are kept in accordance with Medair guidelines and local labour laws. Provide line managers with trainings, advice, mentoring and coaching on performance management procedures for their team.
Administration & Compliance
- Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports as required by field management and GSO and contribute on request to external reports, with a focus on equipment/assets and supplies, in particular.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly fashion and are routinely and punctually shared in the filing (archive) system.
- Implement anti-corruption and fraud measures, in line with Medair policies and the applicable donor procedures.
- Coordinate with relevant authorities (e.g. government ministries, local authorities, UN agencies, etc.) and other NGOs, as applicable, on matters relevant to Medair operations in the area.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of base-related activities and requirements.
- In collaboration with PC and PMs, recruit necessary support staff to support programme activities adequately.
- Ensure capacity building by adequate orientation to Medair systems and procedures, ongoing on-the-job training and peer training. Actively train and coach staff on living out the seven values of Medair.
- Develop a recruitment strategy that allows for growth in the support departments. On occasions contract and work with casual labour or contractors (including hiring, co-ordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
- Set performance objectives for direct report and ensuring that all other programme support staff have performance objectives set and reviewed at the end of probation and then every six months.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Promote and use Medair e-library and other operating procedures with support staff, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry out regular inspections and spotchecks, both on systems and ongoing work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets.
- Adhere to existing security procedures and contribute to continued review/adaptation of these.
- Be the Security Focal Point for Pibor when the PC is absent.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of relevant incident reports.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in relevant subject such as Logistics / Management / Business Administration or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Two years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Team-player with good interpersonal skills. Committed to team-building & able to support other team members.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
- Job City Pibor