Employment band: F – Non-manager
Reporting to: Head of Programme
Roles reporting to this position: N/A
Overall purpose of the role
The protection coordinator supports DRC Sudan in ensuring high quality protection programming across implementation areas, supporting managers in staff capacity building, developing SOPs, creating and rolling out the country protection strategy, supporting program development, and engaging externally in relevant protection fora.
Geographic scope: Country (Sudan)
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The protection coordinator will lead on the development of a country protection strategy, which will guide the further development of the protection program in country. The coordinator will ensure that DRC protection programming is implemented according to DRC global standards, and that there is standardization of protection programming across areas of implementation whenever possible and relevant.
The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to protection programming in Sudan
- Represent DRC at relevant coordination meetings such as the national protection
- Ensure integration of protection activities with other DRC sectors
- Coordinate with sector counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects
- Ensure good representation and reputation of the protection sector at all levels
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings and DRC global protection forums
General Programming & Operations
- Support in the development of sector needs assessments in coordination with program managers
- Ensure protection program staff have the relevant technical capacity for their roles, and engage in ongoing capacity building initiatives as necessary
- Ensure DRC protection programming is implemented at a high technical standard across all of DRC’s program operations
- Provides technical guidance on the development of all DRC proposals ensuring protection programming is in line with identified needs and standards and is effectively mainstreamed across sectors, and is designed to a high standard when protection is a standalone intervention
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding
Support in the design of needs assessments tools when relevant
- Assist in developing the projects’ Monitoring & Evaluation tools for protection activities
- Assist in project implementation and reporting.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
As Coordinator the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Responsible for coordinating strategy and operations within a specific discipline in a region or country
- Has technical line responsibilities for DRC protection program managers, supporting them in standardizing approaches when relevant and ensuring all program is implemented at a high standard and in accordance with DRC global strategy and policy
Required experience and competencies
- Minimum 3-5 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
- Full professional proficiency in English
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Master’s degree in political science, international development, economics or another relevant field
How to apply
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Senior Technical Advisor – Education Program Design & Resource Mobilization at CARE USA
- Interpreter Support Assistant – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service
- Finance & Administration Officer at ZOA
- Accountant for Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity at Tetra Tech
- MEL Specialist for Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity at Tetra Tech