INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Duty station: Tripoli – Libya
Starting date: 15/09/2022
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Protection Advisor
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is present in Libya since 2018 and it is currently implementing humanitarian projects in the West, South and East of Libya aiming to provide access to basic service to the most vulnerable population and to promote social cohesion and promote understanding between host communities members, migrants and Internally displaced people.
General purpose of the position
The Protection Coordinator will lead the Protection Unit and support overall program management and coordination of Protection programming portfolio for conflict-affected population in Libya and Tunisia. This includes Child Protection, Gender-Based Violence (GBV), and Psychosocial Support (PSS) programs, as well as other Protection activities.
The Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the development, implementation, and monitoring of the overall Protection programming portfolio. S/he will lead the coordination between Protection teams and program unit, as well as coordinating and mainstreaming Protection with other INTERSOS departments/sectors. S/he will represent externally the programs in Protection coordination forums and advocate on Protection issues and concerns.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- In coordination with HOM and the other departments ensure the quality of the implementation and achievement of the set results.
- Manage development and monitoring of program spending plans, workplans, M&E plans, and procurement and staffing plans to ensure progress against targets and spending by budget.
- Be responsible for ensuring management of resources for fulfilment of program deliverables and commitments for objectives/indicators and accountability to donor requirements
- Identify opportunities for new protection interventions and support assessments and developments of new project proposals
- Lead in design of the protection strategy and provide technical support in its implementation and mainstreaming and coordinate with other internal departments to guarantee good collaboration
- Assess regularly protection needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operations, periodically update the protection situation analysis and inform the programme teams accordingly
- Provide strategic protection analysis and development of periodic trend reports (Including aspects of conflict analysis, gender and risk management) from programme experience to improve development, implementation and policy and advocacy activities
- Ensure that protection data is collected, archived, processed, analysed, and disseminated in ethical modalities, in line with internal data protection protocols
Protection mainstreaming and accountability
- Contextualize and adapt internal and global guidelines, guarantying these are rolled out, known and applied by staffs
- Coordinate, harmonize and report on protection activities and services across the different implementation sites within the mission
- Conduct and support ongoing monitoring of Protection activities, to ensure minimum standards for Protection and progress toward targets
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits and provide support to further development and full application of the tools to monitor quality of programme implementation
- In cooperation with the accountability unit, support the development of complaints mechanisms for beneficiaries and make sure complaints are addressed properly
- In cooperation with the accountability unit, follow up on the implementation of the Child Protection (CP) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies
- Deliver training and workshops to protection staffs to strength skills on specific protection topics identified
- Deliver trainings and workshops to non-protection staffs to build skills and knowledge of protection principles and enable them to mainstream protection in different sectors
Supervision and Staff Management:
- Directly supervise, coach and mentor Protection unit and conduct regular performance reviews (IRP)
- Review work plans of Protection Officer and Senior Case Workers and define priorities together with Protection Project Managers
- Organize regular and ad hoc protection meetings with Protection Officer and Senior Case Workers and Project Managers to track progress, update on context, share challenges and priorities and develop action plans to address them
- Create opportunities for experience sharing and learning within the protection team in order to strengthen cooperation and collaboration
Advocacy, networking and partnership:
- In coordination with HOM, ensure that main protection concerns are brought to relevant stakeholders to advocate
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations
- Network with Protection Coordinators from other missions to share best practices and resources for the respect of human rights and minimum protection standards
- Maintain effective relationships with Protection, GBV and MHPSS clusters and related working groups at national level and co lead the CP working group
- Ensure that Protection Officer and Senior Case Workers maintain productive relationships with sub clusters at field level
Required profile and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Humanities and Social Sciencese, in international relations/development, law, psychology, business or another related field;
- MA/S or other related advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years (of which at least 4 years in the field) of professional experience in humanitarian work, preferably in an emergency context.
- Substantial experience in Protection, both overall Protection and in sub-sectors of Child Protection, GBV, and/or MHPSS, including in conflict settings and with IDPs and refugees.
- Demonstrable technical expertise in the assessment of, design, and delivery of relevant Protection programming.
- Strong experience in training and capacity-building on Protection technical areas with a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience with participatory approaches and working with vulnerable groups, including gender mainstreaming and with persons with disabilities.
- Knowledge of the legal framework and international standards that governs INTERSOS operations, as required by local and national government and by major donors (EU, UN, US, Bilateral Donors)
- Good knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian Principles and Protection frameworks, tools, and minimum standards.
- Strong program management skills, with substantial experience managing large portfolios of programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in internal and external coordination and representation of programs.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required
- Proficiency in French is an asset
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Professional, hard-working, and a self-motivated person.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Flexibility and can cope with stressful workload and working with limited resources.
- Very strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; collaborative approach with the ability to work within different cultural environments.
- Positive and solutions-oriented leader focused on team-building, problem-solving, and support to the teams and beneficiary communities
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/en/work-with-us/field/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/62e02d9eb09c250021bd29d5/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-52-2681-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- M&E Field Coordinator- Short-Term Assignments at Crest Point for Consultancy and Development
- International Communications Advisor- Country Support at Christian Aid
- Media and Communication Officer at International Organization for Migration
- Logistics Advisor (COVID-19 Vaccine Support) at Chemonics
- Senior Officer, Human Resources (Nigerian National) at International Federation of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies