Title: Protection Manager
Employment Category: F2
Reporting To: Area manager
Direct Reports: Protection Team leaders and officers
Start of Contract & Duration: 30 November 2022
Posting date: June 3, 2022
Closing date: June 16, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The protection manger will manage and technically oversee DRC’s protection work in Okugu refugee camp, Dimma with interventions focusing on child protection, Gender based violence prevention, mitigation, and response, youth empowerment, Early child hood care and development, protection monitoring, and individual protection assistance. The position holder will develop work plan, oversee the implementation of project activities, provide technical guidance to the protection team, develop and plan new interventions according to the country protection strategy and engage with key stakeholders.
He/ She will collaborate closely with DRC’s Country Office Protection Manager to ensure technical rigor and the consistent application of DRC’s protection approaches, methods and tools. Additional focus for this position will also be on supporting other program interventions in the areas of protection mainstreaming, safeguarding, and accountability to affected populations.
- Participate in coordination fora at a regional level representing DRC protection program as needed, including the representation of interests of DRC office in Dimma base office.
- Work closely with the Gambella Protection Manager to ensure representation through Gambella-level coordination fora
- Provide technical oversight of protection work to ensure all activities including child protection, gender-based violence, protection monitoring, early childhood care and development, legal aid, and youth empowerment interventions are implemented in compliance with core protection principles and DRC guidelines.
- Contribute in the design and contextualization of all project guidelines and tools according to international standards and best practices, ensuring technical rigor and the consistent application of DRC’s protection approaches, methods and tools.
- Promote improved understanding of protection issues among relevant stakeholders and ensure the observance of international humanitarian and human right’s laws and protection standards.
- Ensure that ethical and statistically-sound data collection and protection-related information management systems are in place and used for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy.
- Technically lead protection needs assessments as needed, including developing appropriate tools to inform program design as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Develop and facilitate trainings and workshops for staff and other stakeholders
- Ensure that Protection is mainstreamed in other DRC’s sectorsCollaborate closely with CO Protection Manager to ensure technical rigor and the consistent application of DRC’s protection approaches, methods and tools
- Contribute to the strategic direction of Ethiopia’s protection programming through active and ongoing participation in and contribution to strategic planning meetings and development of strategic documents.
- Oversee implementation of project as per project documents
- Support implementation and ensure adherence to grant work plans, spending plans and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Develop programme and monitoring tools in collaboration with MEAL teams
- Ensure the timely and quality delivery of all protection related organizational and donor project report and contribute to other related project updates and input to project monitoring tools
- Ensure appropriate financial and project documentation on all project activities in collaboration with the Area manager, DRC finance and logistics team
- Undertake quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according to international standards and best practice.
- contribute to organizational monitoring and evaluation requirements to ensure project quality, relevance and accountability to DRC’s beneficiaries
- Collaborate with the Area Manager and CO Protection Manager to ensure field-based protection records and documentation are properly managed and compliant with DRC requirements and best practices.
- Directly manage the Protection Team leaders and provide on-going mentorship and support to all protection staff
- Support recruitment processes for protection teams, and ensure that relevant staffing structures are in place and are reflective of appropriate gender balance.
- Promote professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure protection staff are well versed in core protection concepts, DRC’s code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the refugee population, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Set clear objectives for protection team and do timely performance evaluations.
Safety and Security:
- Support the Base manager in ensuring the responsibility for staff safety in the area of operation.
- Support the base manager in ensuring that all relevant information regarding safety, security and the context is collected, updated and shared in a regular and timely manner.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum Bachelor degree in social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field of study from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in mid- to management-level position,
- Demonstrated experience in the field of humanitarian protection, preferably working for an NGO, UN agency, or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Substantial strong staff and project management experience
- Experience with design and implementation of protection interventions
- Proven commitment to accountability and quality assurance.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Experience with capacity building, and organizing and facilitating trainings and workshops.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with staff members and other stakeholders.
- Experience working in cross-cultural, multi-sector, insecure, and/or remote environments.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Minimum a Bachelor degree in social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Amharic and English
- Local language skills are highly preferable
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
- Job City Dimma, Gambela