We bring sustainable solutions to the world’s greatest problems – disasters, extreme poverty, violence, oppression, and mass displacement. The organization is approximately 75 years old and has worked in over 100 countries around the world since its founding.
In the United States, we come alongside local churches, community organizations, and hundreds of individual volunteers to support newly arriving refugees and other immigrant families. Today, we are proud to partner with over 6,000 local churches, and 95,000 volunteers globally to bring hope, healing, and transformation to the most vulnerable.
World Relief seeks a Protection Program Manager, who is responsible for protection program design, implementation, and monitoring in West and Central Darfur, Blue Nile, South Kordofan, and Khartoum states. The manager is also responsible for maintaining good relationships with State and Federal level UNHCR and other protection actors. In this capacity, the Protection Manager will be responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of the Protection Officers and various protection activities, budget management, and administration of the requirements of the programs.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Support the coordination of protection activities in West and Central Darfur states in collaboration with the Area Manager for both states.
§Support the oversight of ongoing programs:
§Support Protection Officers to address programmatic challenges.
§ Facilitate monitoring of the projects with project staff, review project progress, review beneficiary feedback, identify corrective actions required, and capture learning.
§ Provide leadership to the project team, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness, and building a team spirit.
- Ensure program operations are functional:
§ Create and execute a work plan, spending plan, and related systems to ensure that project deadlines are met and targets achieved.
§ Supervise and coach the Protection Officers to conduct surveys, participatory assessments, and/or community consultations focused on protection concerns and the identification of Persons with Special Needs (PSN) among the project operational locations.
§ Supervise and coach the Protection Officers to deliver awareness-raising activities for the project beneficiaries on their rights and relevant state and non-state service providers on the rights and the responsibilities of the Government.
§ Coach and supervise Protection Officers in strengthening community-based structures to respond to protection needs.
§ Assist the Protection Officers with establishing a Referral Network of service providers for the people in need.
- Strategic Project Management
§ Contribute to the development of the Country Sector Strategy for the WR Sudan Protection Program.
§ Review existing protection and other relevant policies and systems.
§ Build WR national staff capacity in the protection sector.
§ Support in the development of project proposals (narrative, log frame, activity schedule, and budgets)
- Monitoring and Reporting
§ Ensure that protection projects are implemented within project time, budget, and scope.
§ Ensure efficient project monitoring and active engagement of stakeholders in project monitoring.
§ Participate in project evaluations to assess project impact and effective use of resources.
§ Prepare project monthly, progress, and other relevant reports and submit to Program Director.
§ Compile protection assessment reports on the protection concerns and priorities collected during the protection monitoring activities.
- Representation & Coordination
§ Actively participate in coordination mechanisms with network partners, the IDPs, refugees, returnees, and the host community to ensure information sharing, coordination of interventions, and enable meaningful participation.
§ Liaise with UNHCR and other partners, particularly through the protection cluster/working group/coordination mechanism, to share findings and any issues of relevance and/or concern.
§ Establish relationships with other NGOs, international organizations, and government offices, particularly those working in protection, and participating in relevant coordination forums.
- With a generous and serving spirit perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of World Relief.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Possesses strong organizational skills.
- Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, as well as written and verbal skills.
- Experienced in cross-cultural team leadership.
- Experienced in managing multiple programs and large diverse teams.
- Must be a humble team player.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Understanding of local culture is essential.
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
- Knowledge of computer systems and applications such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Master’s degree in Law, International Law, Human Rights, or International Affairs
- Minimum of five years of overseas professional experience in program implementation
- Previous working experience with UNHCR is an asset
- Strong understanding of protection principles
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Experience in hardship postings or complex emergencies with proven leadership experience;
- Able to work in a fluid and insecure area; Maturity and ability to adjust to harsh living
- Fluency in oral and written English is required, and Arabic language skills a plus.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to deal with problems and issues both promptly
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
- The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, and arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment, and read application information.
- The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear.
- General office setting
- Great lengths of time working on a computer, reading from a computer screen, entering information, standing at a copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in skype meetings may be required.
- Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
- Physical, emotional, and intellectual demands
- Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
World Relief contributes to monthly premiums:
• Paid Holidays
• Offer Paid Sick and Vacation Leave
• Maternity & Paternity Leave-Based on the country’s rules
• Paid Home Leave
• Food per diems
• Housing accommodations
• Generous R&R schedule
World Relief pays 100% for eligible employees:
• Group Term Life (employee)
• Long Term – US Expats only
• Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
•WR emergency evacuation insurance
World Relief – Retirement:
• 401K & Roth (US Expats Only)- WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
• 4% retirement plan match for all other employees
Yes. Up to 50% domestic travel only required
How to apply
Click on the link below to apply:
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Director, Advocacy & Partnerships at VillageReach
- Logistics and Warehouse Assistant at International Organization for Migration
- Programme Support Officer (IBM) at International Organization for Migration
- Household Economic Strengthening / Nutrition Officer at Save the Children Nigeria
- Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Manager at Save the Children Nigeria