The humanitarian context in the cross-border area between Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger continues to deteriorate. More and more people are fleeing their homes in search of safety in nearby fields or villages, sometimes repeatedly. In Burkina Faso, the Sahel and Centre-Nord regions are the most affected and have the largest number of displaced people. Large-scale displacement has a strong impact on already scarce natural resources, with negative consequences for both the displaced population and host communities, increasing the risk of undermining social cohesion and population protection. In both Burkina Faso and Niger, humanitarian access to populations in need and access to basic social services remains a major problem. We are witnessing a shrinking humanitarian space in the areas where humanitarian activities are concentrated. NRC has been active in Burkina Faso and Niger since 2019.
Role and responsibilities
- Familiarize with NRC Global Protection Strategy, provide technical guidance and ensure, ensuring continuous alignment with regional and global strategies and priorities
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports through clear identification of donors in the context ready to fund protection in NRC areas of operation
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Provide initial training and protection mainstream training to staff in areas of operations
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Advanced academic qualification in a relevant field (master degree in law, social sciences or related disciplines)
- Knowledge of relevant legal and policy frameworks, international and domestic
- At least 4 years of senior –level working experience in humanitarian protection
- A clear understanding of protection issues, legal frameworks and professional standards in humanitarian and displacement contexts.
- Experience in implementing/overseeing specialised protection service delivery, including case management
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience in international organisations and/or NGOs
- Excellent analytical skills and communication skills in writing and speech
- Fluency in French and English
- Knowledge of the protection context in Burkina and Niger is essential
- Excellent capabilities in communication and coordination with multiples partners
- Great competencies in writing and protection analysis
- Experience in conducting deep assessment in protection
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility. At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract: 6 months
- Grade: 9 in NRC’s grade structure.
- Duty station: Ouagadougou or Niamey
- Job City Ouagadougou, Niamey