The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs. DRC is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food Security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation.
Since 2018 DRC, in collaboration with UNHCR and under the leadership of the Protection Cluster, is spearheading a country-wide Protection Monitoring System. DRC is one of the two networks responsible for data collection in Somalia
Overall purpose of the role: Protection Team Leader(Monitoring)
DRC Somalia is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible professional to work in Berbera as Protection Monitoring Team Leader. Under the supervision of the Base Manager, and in close coordination with other DRC field units, The Protection Monitoring Team Leader manages the protection monitoring field team, and in close collaboration with the PIM officer and the Reporting Officer, contributes to the development of regular protection monitoring information sharing products (monthly and ad hoc). S/He will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concerns, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors to support the implementation and coordination of DRC’s protection activities.
Programming & Operations
- Under the technical supervision of the Protection Manager and the line management of the Base manager, ensure efficient and effective protection monitoring activities implementation according to allocated budget and developed work plan
- Ensure regular update of protection monitoring tool (including FGD, KII, and site observation forms) used to carry out protection monitoring activities
- Monitor and analyze trends of the protection situation and environment in all areas of intervention for all groups of concern for management, program, and advocacy purposes.
- Lead on the preparation of regular protection monitoring products, including monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ah hoc reports as requested by the Protection Manager and in line with DRC SoP.
- Participate in the implementation of general protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives
- Ensure that DRC’s protection monitoring activities are delivered in a timely manner, and in accordance to international standards, and are flexible and responsive to emergencies and influx, but participating in rapid protection assessments, joint assessments, protection analysis etc. to identify protection concerns and needs and act for response.
- Constantly monitor the provision of services in areas of operation, and report on findings to ensure highest level of access to services
- Mobilize and build strong rapport with both host and migrant communities through consistent engagement, adhering to dignified, safe, and culturally sensitive approaches.
- Carry out information dissemination and awareness raising activities among the IDPs, migrants and refugee communities.
- Approve identified Individual Protection Assistance identified by field staff.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer at Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE)
- iMMAP Nigeria Recruitment (2 Positions)
- Senior Program Officer (INGO Forum) at iMMAP Nigeria
- Hygiene Promotion Officer at Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE)
- Lead and manage the protection monitoring team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of DRC’s protection monitoring activities in areas of concerns through the development of sound work plans for the protection monitoring team
- Ensure daily monitoring and quality control over of DRC’s protection monitoring activities in areas of concern,
- Provide technical support, supervision, and guidance to the protection monitoring team members (including contributing to the development of protection monitoring technical tools and guidance, tailored capacity building plans, training and on-the-job coaching and mentoring).
- Encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit among the team under his/her supervision and with other protection and sectors teams.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts, including the Protection Manager, the Protection Specialist, the Protection Coordinator and other Protection Team Leaders on protection monitoring relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings as delegated by the Protection Manager
- Lead DRC participation in the MMC Working Group in Somaliland.
- Ensure a strong collaboration and integration with other DRC sectors (including Site Management, Shelter, and Economic Recovery units), using protection monitoring results and trends to inform current and future DRC programming and advocacy efforts
- Represent DRC towards a affected communities, stakeholders and focal persons including including individual beneficiaries and community groups, humanitarian agencies, services providers, local authorities, etc. To this end, ensure professional standards and transparent communication so as to build trust and collaboration with concerned stakeholders.
- Ensure that interactions by staff with individual beneficiaries and commumnity groups take place in environments and in ways that respect and promote safety, agency and dignity in accordance with professional standards for protection and humanitarian work
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of protection monitoring staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate protection monitoring related procurements and ensure their execution
- Support the coordination of programme activities as they relate to logistics, administration, finances or security as relevant, in coordination with the relevant departments. Ensure the compliance of staff with the relevant internal policies and directives
- As well as any other duties as may be assigned by the Protection Manager, relevant to the achievement of Protection objectives.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 4 years of professional experience in the field of humanitarian interventions, human rights, civil society, or community development, preferably with an international humanitarian organization
- 3 years of experience working directly with conflict-affected and/or vulnerable groups, including migrant and refugee populations
- University Degree in the field of social sciences, humanitarian affairs, international law, anthropology, development or any other related field
- Solid knowledge of the migration context in Somalia and of the protection issues faced by conflict-affected populations including migrants and refugees
- Strong skills in communication, and in developing and implementing protection monitoring systems and activities
- Proven capacity to document, summarize and analyze protection data and to share information in a clear and systematic manner.
- Solid experience in identifying and responding to needs of particularly vulnerable individuals and groups based on field work, protection, age, gender, and diversity analysis and other criteria.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively represent a humanitarian organization with external partners and stakeholders
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity, ability and willingness to work with all groups of conflict-affected population, including vulnerable migrants and refugees
- Strong team leading abilities, with dedication to staff development, on-the-job training
- Field-oriented attitude and strong humanitarian spirit
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
- Basic knowledge of Arabic, Amharic and other languages will be considered as asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Availability: August 2022
Duty station: Berbera
Reporting to: Base Manager
Duration: 5 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band G-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
How to apply
Applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. The cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=165120&DepartmentId=19011&MediaId=5 under Vacancies. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 23 July 2022.