The OEC: The Organization of Educational Cooperation (OEC) is an international intergovernmental organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
Overall purpose of the role:
Operating under the authority of the Secretary-General, the guidance of the Under-Secretary-General for External Relations and International Cooperation (ERIC), and the direct supervision of the Chief of Protocol Visas and Residency Permits Service, the Protocol Officer is responsible for preparing and supervising meetings and events, guarantee protocol procedures are in place, liaise with the host country for administrative and legal matters, and supervise arrangements as needed.
The Protocol Officer also supports, facilitates and coordinates within his/her assigned responsibilities the organisation of official visits abroad and at headquarters. He or she is also charged with assisting the Chief of Section in contributing to the Department’s role in coordinating and streamlining OEC’s engagement with key organisations and institutions.
This position provides the unique opportunity of joining the team of a new international organisation, contributing to its lasting construction and influencing its future trajectory.
The main functions of the Protocol Officer are but not limited to:
- Support in the organization and management of meetings and events chaired by the Secretary-General and/or the Under-Secretary-General ERIC.
- Prepare meetings with officials for the Secretary General and/or the Under-Secretary-General for ERIC.
- Represent the OEC at airport receptions and welcome VIP guests.
- Facilitate airport departure and arrival for the Secretary General and assist in any related matter with airport authorities and logistics.
- Assist the Secretary-General Executive Office with visa application and travel arrangements.
- Supports the Chief of Protocol in organising and preparing official visits, meetings and events involving the Secretary-General, the Undersecretary General for External Relations and International Cooperation, the President of the General Assembly, and member state delegates and senior officials to countries both at and away from OEC Headquarters , as well as to visits to the OEC by high-level dignitaries.
- Support in the preparation of conferences/workshops/meetings in Addis Ababa and other locations.
- Establish communication channels with the Immigration Services Department, with authorities at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport and with the Protocol Affairs Directorate General of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
- Contribute to the smooth functioning of activities undertaken by the Section.
- Assists in ceremonies for the presentation of credentials/letters of appointment to the Secretary-General by newly appointed Permanent Representatives / Permanent Observers.
- Any other duty as assigned by the Secretary General and/or USG ERIC.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic and cross-cultural communication skills with a proven track record.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong methodical and strategic thinking skills and ability to develop long-term strategies.
- Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment and deal with cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to withstand and work effectively in stressful situations.
- Ability to work under pressure and strict deadlines.
- Good background of protocol guidelines and diplomatic precedence specifically with regards to Member States of OEC.
- Understanding of cultural differences and ability to communicate effectively in/with international teams
- At least 7 years of working experience in diplomacy or international relations
- At least 4 years of work experience in a management role within an international and/or regional organization.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or higher) in International Relations or related fields
- English – Fluent
- And knowledge of one or more of the other official languages of the OEC (French, Arabic, Spanish).
- Under- Secretary General of Department
- Chief of Protocol
- All employees of OEC.
- Host Country Authorities
- Protocol services departments of Member States
- Diplomatic missions
- Other Regional/International Organizations.
How to apply
Qualified & Interested candidate can apply for this position by sending an email your resume and cover letter to hre(at)oec-oce.org with the subject line “Job Title”.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia that welcomes applicants from any country.
- We especially encourage applications from Latin America and Asia Pacific.
- We also strongly support female candidates and value diversity and inclusion.
- We will review applications as they are received until we fill the position.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Protocol Officer (Visa and residence) at Organisation of Educational Cooperation
- Field Coordinator – Jigjiga in Somali Region- Ethiopia at Médecins du Monde
- Support Coordinateur Financier (H/F) – Bamako at Solidarités International
- Mozambique– Security and Access coordinator (M/F) – Pemba at Solidarités International
- Security and Access coordinator (M/F) – Pemba at Solidarités International