CARE is an international NGO working in Somalia and Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance. CARE is looking for suitable candidates to fill the position of Health and Nutrition Manager based in Erigavo, Somaliland with frequent travel and support to project sites.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Humanitarian Program SL, the Health and Nutrition Manager will oversee the day-to-day implementation of all aspects of emergency Health and nutrition activities in Somaliland including running of emergency Health and Nutrition sites (Mobile and fixed), community mobilization, needs assessments, program reporting and devise new interventions as deemed necessary. S/he will be required to provide Health and nutrition technical backstopping to CARE and partner staff through mentorship, technical support, and capacity building initiatives to staff and the community at large. The incumbent will also be required to create seamless integration between the Health and nutrition with other sectors for proper and efficient utilization of resources at the field office. S/he will be required to make regular monitoring efforts and periodic visits to all emergency health and nutrition project field sites on regular basis. The Health and Nutrition Manager will functionally report to the Humanitarian Program Manager, Somaliland and with dotted lines to the Health and Nutrition specialist.
R1: Program management and implementation
- Provide leadership and technical expertise in health and nutrition assessments during emergency response and ensure linkage to other emergency response components.
- Link with community leaders, Ministry of health and other partners in community mobilization and ensure smooth running of health and nutrition interventions while addressing implementation bottlenecks
- Work with CARE and partner staff to develop a sustainable community-based programs for addressing direct, underlying and basic causes of malnutrition
- Represent CARE International in all matters related to health and nutrition in the assigned program location while liaising with partners, donors, governments, and NGOs in the field
- Participate in establishing funding requirements for health and nutrition interventions and contribute to the development of proposals and concept notes for emergency response
- Plan and manage the health and nutrition programs in a phased and prioritized manner with full consultation and coordination with CARE staff and other agencies both Government and Non-governmental organizations
- Closely liaise with M&E steam to support health and nutrition collection, reporting, data quality assessments, beneficiary accountability and donor reporting
- Manage Health and Nutrition staff working under her/his the Programs
R2: Program Design
- Work in close collaboration with the Health and Nutrition Technical Specialists and the broader country office programs to ensure that emergency Health and nutrition interventions build upon longer-term programming
- Provide up to date Health and Nutrition data and information necessary for the development of high-quality proposals
- Assist in the design of innovative Health and Nutrition interventions in line with the Ministry of Health’s strategic priorities and humanitarian needs
- Support in the development and harmonization of HMIS tools
- Responsible for quality production of monthly program performance and reports from all health and nutrition program areas.
- Responsible for undertaking reporting of health and nutrition assessment and other related periodic studies such as KAP surveys.
- Support in initiation and development of donor reports
R4: Representation and coordination
- Participate in all filed level cluster and technical working group coordination meetings
- Represent CARE in all inter-agency assessments
- Contact person for Ministry of Health, Somaliland
R5: Capacity building
- Assess and identify CARE and Ministry of Health Staff capacity needs
- Organize and provide training to partner staff, Health workers and nutrition volunteers on Health and Nutrition identified capacity gaps.
- Provide in house capacity building to CARE program staff.
Required qualifications and experiences
- University degree in Health, Nutrition and/or other health-related fields
- At least 4 years of progressive experience in managing programs in conflict situations
- Experience managing MCH teams coordinating Ministry of Health
- Humanitarian experience in core health and nutrition programs in Somalia (EPHS, CMAM, BEmONC, IYCF)
- Experience carrying health needs assessment
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and EPI info.
- Experience in proposal development and donor reporting
- Experience and skills in managing teams
- Experience organizing and facilitating training
- Fluent in English and Somali (both oral and written) is compulsory.
- Strong interpretation skills, creativity, flexibility, adaptability, and empathy
- Ability to plan and facilitate health and training/workshops with minimal support
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by referring to the job title “( Health & Nutrition Manager – Erigavo)” as the subject line of the email, latest on Sunday, 19 June 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Job City Erigavo