RefuSHE protects, nurtures, educates, and empowers young refugee women and girls in East Africa through a unique holistic model that provides protection, shelter, education, case management, counseling, childcare, vocational training, and legal support. RefuSHE’s holistic programming meets the imminent needs of unaccompanied, separated, and orphaned refugee girls, young women, and their children.
Founded in 2008, RefuSHE is a registered non-governmental organization with headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a 501(c)3 charitable organization with offices in Chicago, USA. It is the first and only organization dedicated to refugee girls in East Africa. Over the past fifteen years, RefuSHE has grown to become a leading institution and global thought-leader in the field of refugee protection.
Salary Range: Kes 240,000 – Kes 265,000 Gross, Monthly.
The purpose of the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager role is to lead on performance monitoring and reporting requirements, including developing and implementing result-based management tools and indicators, implementing substantive monitoring and evaluation reviews, documenting lessons learned for donor reporting and performance improvement, and supervising of external evaluation consultants.
- Spearhead the development or improvement of monitoring and evaluation tools and processes for existing and future programs as needed and with input from Program Managers and Chief Investment & Resource Officer; periodically review tools in place to ensure they are still relevant and are producing useful, timely, and accurate data, making suggestions for improvement where relevant.
- With Program Managers, help analyze data to serve as part of the internal quality assurance mechanism for program delivery.
- Support Program Managers in strengthening their program monitoring systems.
- Lead all M&E initiatives for current grants/programs including monitoring data quality, tracking the progress of activities against targets, alerting leadership in advance of potential risks to not achieving intended program outcomes and targets.
- In collaboration with the Grants Manager, lead in the reporting of program data and progress against indicators for all donor reports. M&E Manager is expected to report data with total confidence of its accuracy and administer all quality control of data before reporting to donors. Responsible for analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and synthesizing findings into well-written English.
- Lead the development of an M&E policy for the organization as well as an overall M&E framework for the holistic model. Ensure individual program M&E plans are updated accordingly and on an annual basis or as needed when new program elements emerge.
- Identify staff M&E capacity building needs and train and mentor RefuSHE program team to develop the necessary knowledge and skillset to manage strong monitoring and evaluation systems and tools.
- In close collaboration with the Chief Investment & Resource Officer and Program Team, lead the development of SMART indicators, baselines, and achievable and ambitious targets for grant proposals and/or new grants.
- Effectively analyze, utilize, and communicate data to senior leadership for program improvement: data for decision-making.
- Facilitate review of program progress on a quarterly basis and ensure problem-solving through remedial actions. Report on findings to the senior leadership team and RefuSHE Board of Directors.
- Ensure any disparities between planned and actual outputs and outcomes are addressed.
- Keep the leadership team informed of developments on programs within the portfolio and serve as a link between program staff and senior management in regard to program outcomes.
- Collaborate with Chief Investment & Resource Officer and Program Team to identify research needs and develop research designs and proposals, when relevant.
- Facilitate knowledge building and sharing on research, monitoring, and evaluation. Participate in Refugee Self-Reliance Initiative learning calls consistently and other webinars/forums as appropriate.
- Promote a learning culture within RefuSHE that is inclusive, creative, and forward-thinking.
- Support in the dissemination of results via presentations and reports to various audiences.
Undertake other responsibilities/duties not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature in the humanitarian aid sector and which have been discussed and agreed upon between the Chief Investment & Resource Officer and the post holder.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline (for example, education, social science, economics, development studies) and 7 years relevant experience, or master’s degree and 5 years relevant experience.
RELATED EXPERIENCE/ QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in the design, development, and implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies, systems, and tools with staff and partners; experience with programs that support marginalized and vulnerable youth strongly preferred.
- Practical expertise in developing logical/results frameworks and defining indicators using SMART/CREAM/SPICED standards.
TECHNICAL & BEHAVIORAL SKILLS
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis skills, and proven ability to work with data software packages such as Stata/SPSS/KOBO.
- Confident user of MS Office software
- Strong writing skills in English, as demonstrated by the ability to produce high-quality reports.
- Ability to speak and translate key documents into Kiswahili.
- A high degree of attention to detail alongside a passion for data and learning.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- People-oriented and results-driven.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet strict deadlines.
- High degree of self-sufficiency and initiative.
- Ability to build and manage interpersonal relationships effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to remain flexible in a dynamic environment and work well in a team.
How to apply
Send your CV and a cover letter indicating your current/previous salary to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing the position title “MONITORING & EVALUATION MANAGER” in the email subject line, by close of business on 24th May 2023.
We appreciate all applications received, however, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.