Position: REACH Database Officer
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Direct Hierarchy: REACH Deputy Country Coordinator
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting, and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
REACH has been operating in Somalia since 2012 and has multiple research cycles including two large-scale national assessments (Joint Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment and Detailed Site Assessment) as well as several other smaller assessments all aimed at providing intersectoral analysis of the response. In addition, there is a cash and markets team, which provide third party monitoring to the largest cash consortium in Somalia and Joint Market monitoring for the Shelter, NFI and WASH clusters.
REACH is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the positionDatabase Officer in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Under the line management of the Senior Data Officer in Somalia, Data Officer is responsible for the production of IMPACT’s analysis products in Somalia, including the preparation of research design, support in designing sampling methods, data analysis plans, data collection tools, data cleaning scripts and processes, analysis scripts, analysis outputs and (as relevant) production of web maps and information management systems. The Data officer will support in the dissemination and evaluation stages of the research cycle. Throughout each research cycle, the Data Officer, in close liaison with the assessment and field teams, engages with partners to promote their participation in data processing, analysis or relevant topics as designated by the line manager, to maximize the uptake and use of IMPACT research. When relevant, or managing a project, he/she also ensures an efficient and transparent use of resources required for project implementation. This can include the direct supervision of data and assessment teams during data collection, analysis, or output production.
- Research Planning
- Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted data management and analysis solutions for REACH research in Somalia and Kenya, in line with REACH’s relevant research and data guidelines.
- Support as designated by line manager sampling design, creation, and management of data collection tools (ODK or KoBo), training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis set up (specifically conducted in the R environment).
- Contribute to draft research ToRs with a specific focus on sampling, data collection tools, the data analysis plan, as well as data management plan;
- Support the development of qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, ensuring requirements of research cycle/assessment are met;
- In coordination with relevant assessment and GIS officer(s), support construction of quantitative sample; Keep track of progress and delays of all assigned tasks throughout the research cycle. Ensure that delays or identified problems are reported by writing and orally in a timely manner.
II. Research Implementation
- When relevant, support the identification and training of enumerators for primary data collection;
- When relevant, support oversight of data collection, in line with agreed TORs (including their Annexes), including data cleaning processes, checks and data cleaning scripts;
- In coordination with relevant assessment officer(s), document all changes in data collection that lead to a modification in the agreed TORs, ensuring that the Research manager, GIS Manager, IMPACT CC, and IMPACT HQ are informed and agree on the modifications.
III. Data Management, Cleaning and Analysis
- Monitor accuracy of data collected in line with IMPACT’s Data Cleaning Minimum Standards Checklist;
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates, and solve eventual discrepancies;
- Maintain, update and expand R-based systems of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
- Support statistical analysis and quantitative reporting on assessments.
IV. Drafting of Products
- Ensure that all REACH analysis products meet the requirements of REACH and concerned partners;
- In support of the Research Manager or CC, as requested, provide regular communication with IMPACT HQ on progress and deadlines for analysis outputs
- Ensure the drafting of timely and accurate data and analysis products (such as factsheets, graphics, web maps, dashboards), which comply with IMPACT’s guidelines;
- Ensure findings are accurately reported given the data collection and analysis methodology planned in TORs.
- Ensure that all analysis outputs are validated by IMPACT HQ before external release;
V. Knowledge sharing and learning processes
- Provide content and contributes to lessons learned exercises
VI. Capacity building
- In coordination with line manager, conduct induction for new staff members, including training in basic technical data processing and analysis competencies
- Support the REACH GIS Manager in the development and implementation of capacity training plans for data and other team members within the Horn of Africa.
- Be available to provide regular support and technical backstopping to all teams and units within the country office.
VII. Internal Coordination
- Actively participate in regular team meetings.
- Ensure regular coordination and exchange with relevant colleagues.
- Engage in the development and implementation of IMPACT’s strategy in Somalia and Kenya.
VIII. Data Confidentiality and Protection
The Data Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes, ensuring full compliance with IMPACT’s data protection policy and SOPs. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners or collected during his/her assignment with REACH.
Qualifications/Technical Skills Required:
- Academic Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master degree in relevant discipline;
- Research skills Demonstrable experience of data science. Excellent data analysis skills.
- Software skills Advanced knowledge of R, STATA, Python or equivalent statistical software. Proven knowledge of Microsoft office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of ArcGIS an advantage.
- Years of work experience At least 1 years of relevant working experience. Experience in humanitarian settings highly desirable.
- Management skills Team management experience and skills highly desirable.
- Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting.
- Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles.
- Level of independence Proven ability to work independently.
- Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility.
- Experience in geographical region Past experience in the HoA region is desirable.
- Language skills Fluency in English required, competency in Somali an asset.
- Security environment Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment
How to apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “REACH DATABASE OFFICER MOGADISHU”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.