Position: REACH Roving Field Officer (FO)
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Direct Hierarchy: REACH Senior Field Officer
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting, and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
REACH has been operating in Somalia since 2012 and has multiple research cycles including two large-scale national assessments (Joint Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment and Detailed Site Assessment) as well as several other smaller assessments all aimed at providing intersectoral analysis of the response. In addition, there is a cash and markets team, which provide third party monitoring to the largest cash consortium in Somalia and Joint Market monitoring for the Shelter, NFI and WASH clusters.
REACH is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the positionREACH Field Officer to support our REACH team in Mogadishu with frequent travel to Galmudug State of Somalia, Somalia.
Under the line management of the Senior Field Officer in Mogadishu, the Field Officer is responsible for the implementation of all related research cycles in Somalia, including the preparation, data collection, analysis, drafting, dissemination, and evaluation stages as required. Throughout all research cycles and rapid assessments, the Field Officer engages with partners to promote their participation and maximize their impact. He/she also ensures an efficient and transparent use of resources required for project implementation. This includes the direct supervision of enumerator teams.
In his/her mission, the Field Officer will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates for all Administrative, Security, and relevant Logistics and Finance issues. S/he will therefore fully abide to ACTED’s Security, Administration, and relevant HR, Logistics and Finance rules and regulations.
- Assessment Preparation and Training.
- In coordination with the REACH Senior Field officer prepare all details related to remote and in person data collection (field schedule, daily collection quote, logistics and administration) according to specified methodology.
- Coordinate and plan assessment team training.
- Facilitate sessions of the assessment training.
- Data collection
- Provide regular support to the REACH data collection team leaders.
- Follow all guidance from REACH Senior Field officer while in the field; ask questions when necessary.
- Supervise all data collectors and ensure accurate data collection as specified in the methodology.
- Ensure care of all REACH inventory including daily check of assessment mobile phones
- Data Validation
- Download all data from the mobile phones at the end of each data collection day.
- Spot-check online database for accuracy at the end of each day; question team leaders about any inaccuracies observed and review in daily team debriefs.
- Is manual data is used spot-check data entries against hard copy surveys for accuracy daily?
- Perform data cleaning at the end of each assessment day.
- Prepare final assessment reports including lessons learned, incidents and timeframe.
- Assist in preparation of assessment factsheets and consolidated reports.
- External Coordination
- Coordinate field operations with participating agencies.
- Report regularly to agency focal points about assessment progress and any changes to the plans
- Prepare and dissemination assessment results and presentations in relevant coordination forums and meetings.
- Internal Coordination
- Daily reports / updates on work activities and outreach completed sent by email or verbally via phone.
- Weekly situation analysis (context, activities completed, plans for next week, etc.)
- Monthly REACH activity report noting activities completed against REACH strategy and objectives.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including First Degree in relevant discipline (data management or statistics)
- Analytical skills of qualitative, quantitative and geo-spatial data
- 3 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian settings a benefit.
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting.
- Excellent team management skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel.
- Familiarity with the aid system and understanding of donor and governmental requirements.
- Somali Language required, English an advantage.
- Ability to operation Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software.
- Prior experience of mobile data collection tools
- Ability to operate qualitative data analysis.
- Ability to work independently
How to apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “REACH Roving Field Officer (FO) _ MOGADISHU”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- REACH Rapid Needs Assessment Officer at ACTED
- Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Project Officer at ACTED
- Liaison Officer at ACTED
- Area WASH Chief Engineer at ACTED
- CCCM Database Assistant at ACTED