Position: Regional Coordinator, Health Security, Epidemic Preparedness and Response
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
The Regional Coordinator, Health Security, Epidemic Preparedness and Response will contribute to the IFRC’s programmatic vision for health as described in IFRC’s Health and Care Framework and its translation into programmatic interventions. The coordinator will work in close collaboration with Cluster Delegations and National Societies by providing technical assistance, expert advice, and support progress towards results in health security, focused on epidemic and pandemic preparedness and response.
Our goal is to ensure that all our programmes benefit men and women equally, according to their different needs and equal input and participation at all levels within the organisation. We are an international- multi cultural work environment that values and promotes diversity
- Act as a central resource for IFRC in the Africa Region on specific knowledge and expertise in all-of society, multi-hazard approach to epidemic and pandemic preparedness and response.
- Lead regional knowledge development and evidence-informed practice generation in epidemic preparedness and response.
- Lead the development of regional strategies for epidemic and pandemic preparedness and response for the Red Cross network in Africa, linked to Health Security: Epidemic Preparedness and Response global flagship and the Africa Red Ready regional initiative.
- Lead the implementation of the Community Epidemic and Pandemic Preparedness (CP3) programme in Africa, with technical support and oversight for programme staff including training, tools, and learning development.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Leadership , Innovation and Quality Insurance
- Lead support to National Societies on implementation
- Coordination and Partnerships
- Contribution to an accountable and agile IFRC Health Team
- An Advanced University Degree in public health, global/international health, epidemiology or other health-related sciences is required.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in public health planning and management, health systems strengthening, or other relevant international health or humanitarian action areas.
- Experience in responding to epidemics
- Working with global health security and technical expertise related to infectious diseases
- Working in an international or cross-cultural environment, with demonstrated professional credibility in the sector
- Experience working in a RC/RC National Society and/or Federation/ICRC preferred
- Community-based programming in a developing context
- In-depth knowledge of public health policies, programmes and positioning, both in emergencies, unstable settings and development.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the global health Security Agenda
- Skilled in Health Information Systems and Surveillance
- Fluent English
- Good command of French
How to apply
A detailed job description will be found on the IFRC website. Qualified candidates are requested to apply through the link below on or before 19 April 2023.