Responsible for providing Christ-centered servant leadership, strategic thinking, and innovative management in the FH Africa Region. Develops and implements FH’s global strategy in the region and relates that global strategy to the FH Heartbeat. Responsible to represent FH internally and externally and lead a team of country directors within the Africa Region.
At Food for the Hungry (FH), we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
Strategic Leadership and Implementation
• Supports regional strategy development, ensuring alignment with FH’s organizational priorities, trends in the region and current and future programming considerations.
• Supports country strategy development in collaboration with the FH strategy office to ensure alignment.
• Provides overall proactive leadership coaching, mentoring and management of Country Directors in Africa.
• Provides counsel on major personnel and strategic issues and mediate conflicts as required.
• Ensures the effective implementation of the regional portfolio.
• Support the implementation of FH’s strategic plan and programmatic model.
• Represents FH at regional forums and supports African country offices by representing Africa to FH’s Affiliates, institutional and private donors, and partner organizations to present compelling fund development and partnership strategies.
• Represents the region within FH institutions and FH global forums.
• Develops and builds linkages with other organizations that facilitate effective delivery of the projects.
Compliance and Risk Management
• Supports program operations to identify and mitigate operational, financial, legal, programmatic, and other risks.
• Assesses and keeps abreast of environmental, economic, social, political, and religious conditions in the field, report to and respond with relevant global and regional stakeholders.
• Actively mitigates and resolves problems related to personnel, finances, security, and programs.
• Supports programmatic, procedural, and internal policy reviews/audit to reduce compliance risks.
• Monitors alignment with FH policies and standards for all offices within the region.
Regional Growth and Diversification
• Leads the opening of country offices, actively coordinating with other units as needed.
• Engages with current and new donors in coordination with business development plans.
• Develops and strengthens new and existing relationships with public and private sector donors and academia and positions FH as a preferred partner.
• Promotes FH’s work with donors, partners, and other stakeholders within the region and globally.
Disaster Response Management
• Supports preparedness and emergency response initiatives.
• Participates as needed in a Crisis Management Team.
• Provides spiritual leadership, promotes the FH heartbeat across the region, and strengthens the spiritual development of the regional leadership.
• Ensures the highest achievement of ethical, moral and behavioral standards in alignment with FH code of conduct and safeguarding policies.
• Sets an example of strong personal faith integrated in work and encourages spiritual growth within the region.
Other duties as assigned.
Job Level Specifications
• Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs expressed in The Heartbeat.
• Excellent people skills including warmth and sensitivity, conversational, able to relate to and effectively communicate with people from different cultures.
• High integrity and a strong sense of professional ethics.
• Excellent organizational skills, and ability to plan and coordinate work, ensure the efficient flow of projects and processes.
• Comfortable and persuasive when speaking before both large and small groups.
• Proven strategic manager with solid experience managing multidisciplinary International Development programs/projects.
• Experience working with multiple types of donors (private, public, and the International Cooperation), including Government grants.
• Entrepreneurial and visionary leader who helps procure and use resources in an innovative way for maximum impact.
• Demonstrated computer-operating skills, including proficiency in Google platforms, Microsoft Office products, and virtual technologies such as Skype and/or Zoom.
• Ability to sit/stand at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard.
• Medical fitness to live and travel in rural and urban areas with extreme conditions and limited medical support.
• Ability to travel up to 40% of time per year in the US and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
• At least 7 years of proven field experience in at least one country in the region or equivalent environment.
• Strong expertise and experience in managing diverse, intercultural teams, including virtual staff.
• Academic training in International Development, Business Administration, or relevant area.
• Post graduate degree (Master’s or higher) preferred.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Proficiency in other official language(s) in the region is a plus. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from various stakeholders.
Directly supervises staff. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, resolving problems, etc.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat and safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
Virtual in Africa – Preferred position location is in a country with an established FH office. Other locations to be determined by home country of successful candidate.
Insurance – Health, Disability, Life
Paid holidays, vacation, & sick leave
Pension, available on first of month after date of hire
Typically, successful candidates are hired at a salary rate up to midpoint of the range, based on relevant experience, internal equity, and budgetary allowances.
How to apply
An application and resume through our online system is required. Click here to access our system.