All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core value: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Regional Programme Department for East Africa and Yemen (EAY), based in Nairobi and managed by the Regional Programme Director, is responsible for the strategic development of NRC programming in the region by maximizing the support to and the development of Country Offices (Cos) as well as by exploring and creating synergies among COs. The Regional Programme Department is focused on research, policies, guidance & procedures, evidence and learning, capacity building, programme quality and donor relations. The department includes a Core Competency and Thematic Advisers a Programme Development and Support Unit and a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Unit.
Overview of the Role
The Regional Education Adviser will provide a range of advisory support, technical oversight and capacity building to CO staff in relation to their own specialist area of expertise.
Additionally, they may act within regional CC and thematic team as the lead on a particular cross- cutting area of programme strategy and development. Staff within the team will be expected to contribute to global development initiatives as part of the wider community of specialists.
The Core Competence and Thematic team are part of a technical matrix structure and are required to work collaboratively with colleagues in both the technical and the operational management structures in country offices, and the regional management group. They also have a technical accountability to the global programme function, policy, strategy, and direction as determined through the Head Office level of NRC. Collaborative working with colleagues within the wider regional programme team, at HO and in other Regions is essential to effectiveness in the role and maximising the shared learning across NRC.
What you will do
- Responsible for ensuring compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures in relation to the thematic area while contributing to the development of policies, strategies, tools and new approaches with a focus on innovation and piloting.
- Responsible of supporting the development of country/regional core competence strategies and implementation plans in line with global policies and strategies.
- Responsible for providing strategic advice and technical support and capacity building support to the Country Offices in the region on relevant core competency or cross-cutting issues across Country Offices in the region and the Regional Office.
- Ensure that education based programming approaches, including youth programming, contributes to integrated programming and analysis and that these interventions are measured
- Responsible for ensuring that best practices within the core competency are identified, documented and disseminated both within the region and beyond.
- Work in partnership with M&E staff, to ensure the alignment of the programmatic areas in the M&E and PCM systems in relation to own core competency.
- Responsible for identification, development and maintenance of relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g., donors, UN agencies, NGOs, research- and educational institutions, private sector) related to programmes in general and more specifically as related to NRC’s Core Competencies.
- Work in partnership with the regional and country office advocacy leads to identify and develop regional advocacy issues related to the core competence and relevant cross-cutting issues.
Specifically you will
- Work on Youth Education and Training: The regional education adviser will be responsible for oversight and development of our Youth Education and Training programming in the region.
- Work on non-formal education, specifically Accelerated Education: The regional adviser will be responsible to have oversight and ensure programme quality and programme development within this field.
- Provide psychosocial support: the regional education adviser will support countries to integrate classroom based psychosocial support into our education programming, through our Better Learning Programme.
- Work collaboratively with Learning and Development (L&D) lead in the Region, and HO Programme and L&D colleagues, on the review and development of learning provision within the region relating to education, including induction, training provision to CO CC project managers, and capacity building initiatives.
- Act as the focal point within the Region on learning and development initiatives as an integral part of capacity building for CC and Thematic within the COs, working collaboratively with other CC and Thematic Advisers and the L&D lead within the region, and with colleagues at HO (Global Programme Development Section and OD L&D)
What you will bring
- Several years of documented experience working within the education (in emergencies) field
- Experience of strategic approaches to programme development
- Experience of developing practical tools and resources
- Experience of programme quality assessments, programme development and delivery
- Understanding of and commitment to organisational learning, and the role and contribution of M&E to quality management and development
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts, with preference for previous experience in the East Africa Region
- Experience of delivering learning and development as part of quality improvement and capacity building
- In-depth knowledge and expertise of non-formal education approaches, specifically Accelerated Education programming
- In-depth knowledge on (classroom-based) psychosocial support provision to children and young people
- In depth knowledge on youth education and training programming, including on youth engagement and on linking education and training to livelihood opportunities
- Extensive experience in working with Ministries of Education and/ or strengthening national education systems
- Fluency in English and (relevant languages for the Region), both written and verbal is an asset
We are also looking for people who
- Can plan and deliver results
- Have a strong Analytical skills
- Are able to think strategically
- Are able to communicate with impact and respect
- Can manage performance and development of staff
- Ability to influence others
What we Offer
Contract Duration: 24 months
Grade: Grade 9 according to NRC Salary Structure
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: As soon as possible
How to apply
Please apply via the link below
Regional Education Adviser EA & Yemen – NRC and NORCAP Careers Careers (oraclecloud.com)