Employee Contract Type:
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
Location: Dakar – Senegal, other remote locations possible
Purpose of the position:
The position provides leadership and technical excellence to World Vision Health & Nutrition programming in West Africa leveraging both internal and external stakeholders to maximize their contribution to child well-being. The Regional Health and Nutrition Senior Advisor will assist the West Africa Regional Office, Field Offices and partners in the design, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of a range of Health and Nutrition Program supported by World Vision in both emergencies and development settings, including access to basic primary health care, reproductive health of women, community-based preventive and treatment support, support to health systems, community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), infant and youth child feeding (IYCF), health and nutrition counseling and governance. The incumbent of this position will support the growth of the Health & Nutrition resource portfolio through new business development and strategic partnerships. S/he will oversee World Vision’s sector programming to ensure that it reflects the organizational distinctive of Christ-centered, community-empowering, and child-focused in its standards and practices and the highest technical standards are met in its programming. S/he is expected to build WV’s reputation in the sector, creates partnerships and innovative approaches, and strengthens and mobilizes WV’s sector community of practice to execute excellence in programming that demonstrates evidence of impact. S/he will also work to position and brand WV as a leading child-focused organization and represents WV at high-level regional platforms and other external engagement forums.
The position works under the supervision of the Senior Director of Operations closely coordinates with country Health and Nutrition Teams, the Global Health and Nutrition department, the regional departments of Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs (HEA), WASH, Resource Development, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion, Advocacy and External Engagement and other Technical Sectors.
1. Strategy 20%
- Coordinate the design and delivery of WV West Africa Health & Nutrition strategy in consultation with Field Offices and in alignment with the World Vision Global Health and Nutrition strategy and sectoral approach
- Formulate and recommend appropriate technical and policy approaches and guidance to achieve World Vision objectives in the Health and Nutrition sector in West Africa, with specific focus on country priorities
- Develop WVI regional brand and reputation through quality programming, evidence of impact, policy and advocacy-related work
- Contribute in the development of sectoral policy and guidance in alignment with the World Vision Partnership strategy in consultation with the Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs, Strategy Evidence and Learning, Resource Development and Technical Program teams
- Ensure the regional sectoral approach is aligned at all levels; from supporting sector fundraising & marketing through sector programming and integrated with other sectors and lines of ministry.
- Ensure overall compliance with World Vision Health and Nutrition standards and internationally recognized standards
- Lead innovations and research initiatives in sector programming
- Contribute and support spiritual nurturing activities that enrich and develop mutual growth in a way that promotes holistic and integrated Christian witness in our life and work and impacts the poor and vulnerable.
2. Capacity Building 20%
- Appraise and determine the technical capacity needs for Health and Nutrition programs in WAR field offices and provide the necessary support and guidance to address the gaps
- Contribute to building the capability of WV’s sector professionals in the countries of operations and across global community of practice.
- Ensure that World Vision country technical programs are informed by up-to-date global and local trends, evidence, and best practices on primary health care, reproductive health of women, community-based preventive and treatment support, support to health systems and community health workers, Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM), Infant and Youth child Feeding (IYCF), Positive Deviance/Hearth, health and nutrition counseling and governance.
- Provide systematic training and capacity building to relevant FO staff in approaches that include the above health and nutrition programming, as well as resilience-building against public health shocks
- Internally benchmark capabilities, processes, and systems in Health and Nutrition programming against market leaders and build toward best in class.
- Determine the technical capacity needs for the region and support to address the gaps as necessary.
3. Quality assurance and Impact 20%
- Ensures accountability in the provision of technical services and programme implementation for regional and globally agreed standards, sector approaches and core project models
- Build an understanding of the current sectoral footprint and identify opportunities for further impact.
- Ensure that health and nutrition projects in our countries of operations adhere to World Vision’s accountability mechanisms and that progress, impacts and risks are highlighted to WV country and regional leaderships, as well as relevant Support Offices.
- Ensure accountability by using Evidence and Learning, analysis, and interpretation of data to provide regional evidence of impact for the sector.
- Coordinates closely with Support Offices (and GC where appropriate) sector team engagement and partners.
- Help NOs effectively work with partners through the promotion of Local Partnering principles and practices at both leadership and frontline staff levels
4. External Engagement 15%
- Build strong and effective working relationships with regional governmental and non-governmental institutions including the West Africa Humanitarian Organization and contribute to relevant health initiatives at all stages.
- Engage in health sector coordination groups and dialogue mechanisms at the interagency level, including in the Regional Health Working Group and in the Food Security and Nutrition Working group (for the nutrition part) in consultation with the Regional Food Security and Livelihood Senior Advisor
- Represent and build World Vision’s influence, advocacy, partnerships and reputation externally. Collaborate with Faith and Development actors externally as we seek to integrate faith into all our programming to address spiritual of causes of child vulnerability.
- Participate in high-level regional and international meetings, forums, and conferences as required.
- Actively position WV as an NGO of choice with global 2030 Agenda platforms, and with potential and key partners, donors and stakeholders, businesses and donors
- Provides technical support to regional and Global Campaigns
5. Resources Mobilization and Networking 15%
- Contribute high-quality health and nutrition inputs into field office or regional concept notes and grant proposals
- Support review of program design ensuring quality results frameworks and log-frames.
- For regional funding opportunities support project design and document review where possible.
- Support prepositioning and donor engagement as regional Health & Nutrition lead and where necessary participate in regional networks raising the profile of World Vision.
- Build knowledge of donor expectations and guidelines around Health & Nutrition in consultation with relevant WARO department leads.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Master’s degree in health, public health, or other related fields.
- Proven health expertise with a minimum of 10 years’ experience designing and leading health programming in humanitarian and development contexts, preferably in West and Central Africa region.
- Strong experience developing strategy and policy within the International NGO sector or a development agency such as the United Nations.
- Strong experience and proven skills in leading a team of technical professionals
- Strong experience and proven skills in working effectively to advance priorities and achieve change, in situations without direct authority in which influence, relationships, and technical quality are needed to succeed.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically grow technical portfolio through new business development, partnerships, grants and contracts.
- Strong experience and proven skills in external engagement that contributes to change in policy and practice and builds WV’s reputation as a leader in the industry.
- Recent and extensive experience living and working in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English and French.
- Medical Doctor with a public health background
- Experience in managing Health and Nutrition programs in development and emergency settings
- Experience working with and managing large grants in sector programming for major bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Previous experience working in a Country Office/National Office and Regional Office setting will be advantageous.
- Experience working in fragile, conflict, post-conflict and/or difficult operating environments is preferred.
- West Africa experience preferred. Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Strong preference for French-speaking candidates (bilingual and or multi-lingual candidates will be advantageous).
Working Environment / Conditions:
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
- This role involves being part of a virtual, geographically dispersed team
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted
How to apply
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Environmental Management and Climate Action- Technical Specialist at World Vision
- Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA)/Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director, Ghana at ACDI/VOCA
- Humanitarian Affairs Officer – Access, P4 (Temporary Job Opening) at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER, P3 (Temporary Job Opening) at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian