Job Title: Regional HR Officer – Africa Hub – Re posting
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 1 Year Fix-Term Contract
Starting date: ASAP
Line manager: Africa Hub Director
Technical Referent : HR Advisor (Global Team)
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop HRDs’ capacities to manage their own security as their struggle against impunity and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where HRDs are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its global office in Brussels, but primarily works where protection of HRDs is needed. PI has long-term presence in several countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America. Under its Global Strategy 2019-2023, PI is gradually transforming into a network of Hubs, establishing regional offices that work in a flexible manner across several countries.
PIA’s mission is to increase agency for Human Rights Defenders (encompassing both women and men Human Rights Defenders – HRDs) and contribute to the creation of safe spaces for HRD. It does so by developing comprehensive protection approaches with HRDs. Our program helps defenders build their capacities in order to manage their protection effectively, to encourage those that have a duty to protect them to fulfil their obligations, and to convince other individuals and institutions with a stake in the protection of HRDs to maximize their positive contribution.
Protection International Africa always works in partnership with defenders.
General Objective of the position
Contribute to PI’s overall effort to mainstream human resources management practices within PI Africa. The key purpose and function of this role will be to implement HR procedures in Africa Hub (both Kenya, DRC & Tanzania) aligned with PI GT standards while, whenever needed, adapting them to the country offices Labour regulations.
The post holder will also serve as a resource person for our teams in the field that may require support in the area of human resources management, contributing to ensure consistency in PI work culture/standards in PI offices in Africa
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide advice to Africa management and Hub Director on human resources matters based on countries’ labour regulations.
- Provide general support in the area of human resources management for our teams in the hub, contributing to ensure consistency in PI work culture/standards in PI offices in Africa, based on GT standards, and in close collaboration with the HR Adviser in the GT
- Ensure implementation and compliance with PI Policies, particulalry in relation to Internal Rules & Regulations for each Country Office, Code of Conduct & Ethics, Anti-Corruption Policy, Security Policy & Policy for Protection from Harassment, Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination
- Ensure correct implantation and compliance with all PI HR SOPs and templates (from recruitment to exit)
- Conduct recruitment processes for Africa Hub (Kenya, DRC & Tanzania)
- Promote staff training initiatives and dedication to staff development in close collaboration with PRTU & the HR Adviser
- Assist PI managers to properly define the tasks of different job holders and when necessary re- orient and revise job descriptions
- Provide advice on workload management monitoring the psychosocial risks associated with PIA’s work, and designing plans to recover people suffering from fatigue and to prevent burn out
- Organize team building activities for Africa Hub (Kenya, DRC & Tanzania)
- Support the regional director to conduct staff appraisals and maintain staff files
- Conduct relevant research and report on emerging employment, compensation and benefits trends in the region and particularly in the Countries with an established presence (Kenya, DRC & Tanzania)
- Support the staff of the different PIA country offices and advice the regional director on best HR practices; and to maintain a conducive working environment for optimum utilisation of staff talents and strengths
- When required, provide support to Management in the preparation of a variety of reports, including for donors and Board of Directors
- Provide support on HR related administration as necessary
- Relevant university degree in Social Sciences, BCom or Law
- Required Masters’ Degree in Human Resources Management
- Minimum 5 years of Experience in HR Management roles
- Experience in international settings dealing with several countries’ Labour Laws
- Preferred previous experience in INGO sector
- Preferred previous experience in salary benchmarking analysis
Skills & Knowledge
- Employee relations management
- Support & training to managers in the management of teams
- Highly organised/time management
- Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Enthusiastic, self-starter who is able to work autonomously, under pressure, in decentralized teams, and think outside the box.
- Demonstrated capacity to orally communicate clearly and effectively to a wide range of – expert and non-expert audiences
- Required fluently English & basic French (both spoken and written)
- Post is based in Nairobi, Kenya. Only candidates with legal status to work in Kenya will be retained
- This position does not include a relocation package.
What we offer
- The possibility to gain first-hand experience and knowledge on strategies to support human rights defenders and grassroots movements globally
- An open, friendly and multicultural work environment
- A people-focused and collaborative way of working both within the unit the post sits under and with other teams
- A great deal of respect for autonomy, room for creativity, innovation, and learning
- Depending on experience, a gross salary between €2000 to €2300/month plus benefits: medical insurance, monthly transport allowance, per diem when travelling abroad for work, 21 days of annual holidays + one extra week at the end of the year.
How to apply
If you meet the above skills requirements and are interested in applying for this position, please:
· Send your CV and cover letter, in English, by 18th April 2021 to email@example.com , mentioning Regional HR Officer in the subject line.
· Include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. Maria_Smith_CV.doc.
· Submit names and contact details of three references together with your application. Do not attach any certificates or references at this stage of the recruitment process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain posted until a qualified candidate is selected. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Further information about Protection International is available on www.protectioninternational.org.
Protection International is an equal opportunity employer. The organization shall not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in advertisements for employment, recruitment and other conditions of employment, preventing discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Adhering to Protection International means to comply with our Code of Conduct & Ethics, Anti-Corruption Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy, Security Policy, Policy for Protection from Harassment, Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination.
Within Protection International female applications are very encouraged
Candidates’ applications whose profile do not match this vacancy’s criteria but matching criteria for other current or future vacancies will be kept in PI CV database and redirect accordingly.