Position Title: Regional Liaison and Policy Officer
Duty Station: Cairo, Egypt
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 27 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Samoa; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director (RD) for the Middle East and North Africa in Cairo, and the direct supervision of the Head of Gulf Coordination Unit and in close coordination with Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs), Senior Regional Liaison and Policy Officer (SRLPO), and Senior Resource Management Officer (SRRMO) based in Cairo, and IOM Chiefs of Mission in Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing policy support for the implementation of IOM’s Strategy for the Gulf Countries, as well as the operations of IOM in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Oman, including the UN Networks on Migration in UAE and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide policy support for advocacy efforts for IOM membership and establishing IOM presence in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Oman.
- Provide policy support towards the day-to-day IOM operations in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Oman.
- Provide policy support for the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Naif University for Security Sciences (NAUSS).
- Lead the national United Nations Networks on Migration (UNNM) in Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates and advocate for the establishment of a national UNNM in Oman.
- Take part in the United Nations Country Team in Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
- Provide policy support to regional projects, including the design and coordination of regional research and studies, as per the priority areas under the IOM Strategy for Gulf Countries.
- Support the implementation of IOM Strategy for Gulf Countries, including the development and monitoring of an annual workplan as well as mid-term review.
- Represent IOM MENA, when required and on behalf of Head of Unit, in the Abu Dhabi Dialogue, as well as other prospective dialogues between the Gulf region and other regions.
- Support liaison with Government of United Arab Emirates, and in coordination with the MECCRTS, to facilitate IOM engagement in COP 28.
- Provide policy support to the United States and Canadian resettlement operation in United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
- Contribute to the development of a quarterly report to RD MENA on the progress of implementation of the IOM Strategy for Gulf Countries.
- Undertake duty travels as required; and14. Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations and/or Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with a minimum of five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with a minimum of seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience in working on migration issues in the Gulf region;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, UN agencies, other national/international institutions and Non-Governmental Organisation (NGOs);
- Experience and familiarity with relevant international frameworks on migration, such as the Global Compact for Migration, the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development; and,
- Experience with project management and monitoring tools.
- High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook) in particular experience in computerized accounting systems including SAP application;
- Knowledge or experience of Gulf region thematic issues;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HEREvia the IOM e-Recruitment system by 27 April 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 14.04.2023 to 27.04.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 146 Regional Liaison and Policy Officer (P3) Cairo, Egypt (58079786) Released
Posting: Posting NC58079787 (58079787) Released