INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Logistics Coordinator North, East and Central Africa
Duty station: Nairobi – Kenya (50%) Field visits (50%)
Starting date: 1/06/2022
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Logistics Unit
Supervision of: Technical supervision of Country Logistics Coordinators/Managers
Dependents: Family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a humanitarian organization that works all over the world bringing assistance to people in danger of being victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. It provides first aid, food, shelter, medical assistance and basic goods. It ensures that basic needs, as education, clean water and health, are met.
Managing effectively an agile Supply-Chain and resilient Logistics Operations guarantees that our missions are well equipped to deliver the required assistance and that all goods and services meet the highest quality specifications.
We are currently looking for a motivated and solution oriented Regional Logistics Coordinator North, East and Central Africa to join INTERSOS Logistics Department where it will be involved with the daily Supply-Chain and Logistics Operations management of 4 missions across the region.
General purpose of the position
Based in INTERSOS Nairobi Hub, and under the Supervision of the HQ Head of Logistics Unit, the Regional Logistics Coordinator will oversee and support INTERSOS’s Supply Chain and Logistics Operations in Libya, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Central African Republic missions in collaboration with the Regional Office for East and Central Africa and the Country Logistics Departments, and in line with INTERSOS’s humanitarian response programs.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Coordination and support
- Collaborate with the Headquarters Logistics Department to improve Supply Chain and Logistics operational systems and ensure standard operation policies and procedures are adhered to. Support initiatives and special projects implementation.
- Participate in the definition of a Global Supply Chain and Logistics Operations Annual Action Plan (AAP) and Preparedness Plan and the necessary KPI’s to monitor implementation.
- Propose collaborative approaches to humanitarian – private partnerships on the field of Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
- Liaise with the Global Supply Office to plan sourcing and procurement strategies for the region missions.
- Collaborate with the ICT Coordinator to ensure ICT development needs of missions and regions are translated into the HQ Logistics Department AAP.
- Collaborate with the HQ Logistics Department and HR Department to develop new training materials.
- Collaborate with Regional Office to ensure that Supply Chain and Logistics Operations procedures are well understood and enforced in a coordinated manner at regional level and to present a consolidated approach and teamwork for mission support and management.
- Review project proposals Supply Chain and Logistics Operations components and actively contribute to all Project Cycle Management phases, meetings, and strategic exercises, by sharing information on assessments and proposed interventions, providing overview and inputs of Supply Chain and Logistics Operations requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects.
- Participate in the definition of a Supply Chain and Logistics Operations Annual Action Plan (AAP) for the region and the necessary KPI’s to monitor implementation.
- Be available for immediate deployment to assist missions Senior Management Teams or the HQ Emergency Unit to mount rapid and effective emergency response operations.
- Facilitate communication and cross learning for all Regional staff.
- Engage in regional forums such as the Logistics Cluster, or any other institutional collaboration mechanism to advocate INTERSOS logistics needs and contribute to coordinated approaches with other relevant humanitarian stakeholders.
- Provide support and guidance to all Country Offices in designated regions including oversight of all Supply Chain and Logistics Operations functions in line with INTERSOS and donor policies and regulations.
- Work with the Heads of Missions and Senior Management Teams to improve Supply Chain and Logistics operational systems and ensure standard operation policies and procedures are adhered to. Participate in the definition of a Supply Chain and Logistics Operations Annual Action Plan (AAP) for the missio and the necessary KPI’s to monitor implementation.
- Provide hands-on contributions to in-country personnel on all SC & LO matters when mobilizing and implementing new projects or closing out.
Logistics Information Management
- Ensure that data reported in INTERSOS Logistics software (Intersos Management Platform – IMP) is correctly used and accurate. Provide training to missions if required.
- Elaborate a quarterly Supply-Chain and Logistics Operation report for the region of operation and submit it to the Headquarters Logistics Department.
- Work with the Mission Logistics Departments to ensure the monthly reporting schedule is in place. Provide review, analysis and feedback to each mission resulting in actionable improvements in the execution of functions.
- Monitor the defined yearly Key Performance Indicators.
IT Infrastructure and Communications
- Ensure that missions have an appropriate IT and Communications infrastructure and equipment to sustain INTERSOS software platforms and in line with policies and procedures. Draft Regional and Mission asset acquisition plans.
- Support the implementation of INTERSOS Logistics software in missions
Supply-Chain Management and Procurement
- Support Region and Missions to plan procurement activities and ensure that all project procurement plans are created and uploaded on IMP before project starting dates by liaising with Country Logistics Coordinator and Project Managers. Improved usage of procurement plan (consolidation of plans with transversal Framework Agreements and centralised international sourcing) and through procurement planning build supply/sourcing strategy for each mission.
- Monitoring overall procurement performance for Region and Mission. Ensuring effective and cost efficient procurement planning and execution while guaranteeing INTERSOS and donor procurement policies and procedures is known and being adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that all missions have an updated pre-qualified supplier list and support on the organisation of Local Market Assessments to ascertain that INTERSOS suppliers represent best value for money and lead-times while being compliant with INTERSOS contracting procedures.
- Plan and collaborate with the Global Supply Office and HQ Medical Unit on International Procurement processes. Follow up on the payment to suppliers in coordination with Regional Finance Coordinators and the GSO.
- Review and/or approve (checking for accuracy & compliance) all high level procurements, framework agreements, leases and other large value, high risk financial commitments. Review Regional and Mission ongoing contract execution and propose improvements.
- Work with the Headquarters Logistics Department and Internal auditor to address key risks, audit findings and complaints on procurement and propose mitigation measures.
Assets and Inventory management
- Assess and support mission warehouse management; ensure systems and reporting are in place for the effective storage and distribution of all program stocks. Support in the trial and rollout of INTERSOS inventory management system.
- Assess and support in country mission asset management; ensuring that all mission assets registered in IMP are documented, issued with unique INTERSOS asset numbers, tagged and logged according to asset management policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the inventory and assets management for the Region and ensuring that missions perform quarterly assets and inventory counts.
- Assess and support country mission fleet management; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use is achieved throughout the servicing of programs and staff; rental service agreements and contracting is done in alignment with INTERSOS procurement standards and fuel and maintenance systems are in place.
- Ensure that INTERSOS Fleet Management model, movement security protocols and Brand Identity Manual is applied in missions.
- Contribute to the development of sustainable approaches to transportation management by streamlining INTERSOS environmental policy.
- Assess and support country mission facility management – Offices, Bases, Guesthouses and Warehouses ensuring that rental agreements and contracting is done in alignment with INTERSOS procurement standards and that facilities are in line with INTERSOS guidelines on work, living and security conditions.
- Identify gaps and propose improvement plans in coordination with the Country Logistics Department and Head of Mission.
- Contribute to the development of sustainable approaches to facility management by streamlining INTERSOS environmental policy.
Human Resources management
- Support the HQ Human Resources department on the recruitment of Country Logistics Coordinators/Managers by reviewing technical tests and conducting technical interviews to the candidates. Support the management of the Logistics rooster and pool.
- Provide induction to new senior Logistics staff providing, as needed, inductions, refresher training and capacity building training to staff in all standard Supply Chain and Logistics Operations IT Tools and SOP. Provide training to program and other support staff on critical SC and LO policies & procedures.
- In collaboration with the Head of Mission, perform and manage the Internal Review Process (IRP) of the Country Logistics Coordinators/Managers.
- Organize weekly operations meetings with the Country Logistics Coordinator/Manager and monthly Country Logistics Meetings.
- Provide regular review and assessment of staffing structures and functions in the Missions with the aim to strengthen overall efficiency and accountability.
- Perform annual assessments of Mission’s Logistics Department and determine in collaboration with HQ HR Department, HoM and SMT the ideal staffing structure with a plan to support transition (staffing and funding) to an ideal structure over the course of the year.
- Provide support to the Security Manager as a focal point for communication and information flow.
- Facilitating the implementation of the INTERSOS security guidance, taking part in security briefings and / or training to be imparted to national and international staff, monitoring their enforcement, other to be defined in collaboration with the Head of Mission and HQ Senior Security Advisor.
The Regional Logistics Coordinator may act as a Deputy to the ECA Regional Director when requested.
Required profile and experience
Degree in Business Administration, Industrial Engineering or Supply-Chain & Logistics Management. Advanced studies in Humanitarian Logistics, Procurement and/or Operations management are considered distinctive factors.
- 5 years or more experience in logistics management and coordination in the NGO sector, within complex/large scale country programmes and in emergency response/humanitarian environments .
- International experience in supply chain management in an emergency environment including procurement, transport and distribution, warehouse, and stock management
- Proven experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, medical logistics, communications, and security.
- Experience of working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure.
- Experience working with large institutional donors and knowledge of their rules and regulations.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with an analytic approach.
- Ability to work in a participatory manner with colleagues to assess needs, implement and monitor supply activities.
- Ability to synthesize and analyze information, and make clear, informed decisions
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Strong planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Experience in development and implementation of efficient logistics systems, procedures and guidelines.
- Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity
- Knowledge of using / Implementation of Software / ERP.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively within the region.
- Substantial training and capacity building experience.**Languages**
- Full professional proficiency in written and spoken English
- Professional working proficiency in written and spoken French
- Arabic is considered an asset
Kenyan nationals only
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/italia/#intersosorg-vacancies-italy/vacancy-details/61b99bf091777c001fec5569/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-00-2266-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.