Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. We seek to realize the potential of a digitally connected world: a world in which evidence-based information advances human progress, enables broad opportunity and accountability, and fuels vibrant civic debat
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Under the supervision of the Regional Director, the Regional Program Manager provides strategic support and oversight on a variety of department tasks, including supervision of projects, management of senior field staff, donor reporting, donor relations, proposal development and communications. The Regional Program Manager is responsible for management level support for a variety of projects within the Africa Program Management Unit (PMU). They are responsible for overseeing all aspects of implementation and business development in a clearly defined sub-region: West and Central Africa. This means they supervise Country Directors, Chiefs of Party, and Project Directors and have the authority to make decisions and problem solve with Headquarters teams in the sub-region. The Regional Program Manager can also act as the PMU lead in the short-term absence of the Africa Regional Director.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Supervise country program operations or part of these programs in West and Central Africa countries.
- Directly manage, coordinate, and evaluate Internews’ Country Directors, Chiefs of Party, project directors, senior field staff and other employees in this sub-region in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. This includes management of country leads and project directors in the West and Central Africa region, weekly meetings with them, setting up objectives, completion of appraisals, etc.
- Provide programmatic development and project support for the Africa PMU including procurement, recruitment of international staff and international consultants, writing and editing key documents, and supervision of subgrants.
- Ensure all program deliverables are on track and meeting high quality standards in the sub-region.
- Assist program units with short-term program tasks including setting up offices, administration, troubleshooting, assessments, and donor meetings, etc. This may involve field travels.
- Collaborate on project assessments and surveys, and assist with other project deliverables and reports as needed, including onboarding consultants and drafting Scopes of Work.
- Support local partners in the Program Unit with proposal development, fundraising, and organizational development.
- Proof and edit quarterly reports and ensure they are submitted on a timely basis.
- Maintain high level contacts with current and potential donors and program partners.
- Lead business development in West and Central Africa. This includes meeting with donors, monitoring of business opportunities, partnerships with local and international organizations, project design, proposal writing, and follow up.
- Write reports and proposals for donors.
- Attend meetings, roundtables, and other events on behalf of the Africa Program Unit when needed.
- Participate in advocacy and communication activities to maintain a high profile for Internews activities in Africa.
- Draft and edit web stories.
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a program manager in relevant non-profit organizations. Previous experience in non-profit media development organization a significant plus.
- Previous work experience with USAID programs and projects a significant plus.
- Experience in developing or supporting programs.
- Relevant university degree required.
- Excellent writing skills, and proven text-editing proficiency.
- Experience with media a significant asset.
- Experience with the Africa region.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening.
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments.
- Proficient in MS Office.
Method of Application
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Program Officer-Secure Democratic Freedoms, Global Programs-Justice at Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa
- Program Manager- Tech, Global Programs-Expression at Open Society Initiative for Eastern Africa
- Senior Adviser, African Union at International Crises Group
- Program Director at Jhpiego
- Social Behaviour Change Officer (Re-Advertisement) at Save the Children