Reporting to the Deputy Regional Director, Africa, the Regional Safety and Security Manager, Africa, at BRAC International is a new role designed to direct the development, implementation and monitoring of an effective strategy to mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations, and provide for the safety and security of all employees both in the Regional Office, Africa, as well as across all Africa contexts where BI operates. S/He will be responsible for establishing policies and standards affecting safety and security of staff members, field facilities and assets, and programme activities across the Africa continent. They will also ensure security protocols and mechanisms are in place to address the unique security challenges across Country Offices. The Safety & Security Manager will provide direction and technical support in developing and maintaining Country Office context-specific security plans.
Develop and Update Security Policy and Contingency Plans:
- Draft and seek approval for Group Level Security Policy and Guidelines in consultation with Country Offices and BI Head Office
- Operationalise those policies through working with Senior Leadership at the Country Level
- Work with Country Offices to regularly update the Country Security Plan for adaption by the Country Office and approval by BI
- Draft a set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to be adapted to the local context
- Draft and regularly update evacuation and contingency plans across all in-country offices
Design a system to ensure threats are communicated effectively both in-country and across BI through the development and implementation of a security communication tree
Context and Risk analysis:
- Develop and regularly update the country security profile
- Develop security trend analysis
- Ensure internal incident tracking system is utilised properly: create a security incident database and perform incident mapping and analysis
- Fill in and regularly update the Risk Analysis Matrix (threat, likelihood, impact, level of vulnerability, level of risk) in collaboration with the risk team at BI
- Implement a system of security assessments for new areas of intervention or areas under consideration
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
Ensure that all field staff are fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce their vulnerability to those threats through capacity building and regular training
- Develop and act as a key member of the Crisis Management Team so that safety policies and procedures are implemented and advice given to relevant teams in incident management
- Adapt crisis management protocols to the local situation
- Produce real-time incident report through developing and using a security incident report template
Ensure lessons learnt are quickly documented and incorporated into policies and processes
Training and briefing:
- Working with in-country teams, ensure a proper level of preparation before any BI staff visits to Country Offices, ensuring that risk briefings are given and the materials to support those briefings are regularly updated
- Design security training modules for Country Director’s approval and HQ endorsement
- Determine training needs for the security staff, and assist in the delivery of that training
Safeguarding and Security
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Postgraduate/ Masters in relevant subject Security studies/ social sciences/ sciences / law
- Sound knowledge on security and incident management
- Skills in investigation of incidents
- Knowledge on legal procedures to handle security incidents
- Sound knowledge of latest security equipment and technologies
- Understanding of latest developments in regional and geo politics
- Training skills to conduct internal trainings
- Skilled in handling of crisis situation
- Coordination with multidisciplinary organisations
- Working in a stressful situation
- Ability to assess impact on security issues
- Strong interpersonal/ communication skills
- Minimum 5 years of experience in similar role in development or relevant organisations.
- Experience in the areas of leadership and people management, strategy development and delivery related to Safety and Security
Job Location: BRAC Regional Office Nairobi, Kenya
How to apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to email@example.com
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 72/22 in the subject bar.
This is a national position and only Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 3rd August 2023
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Programme Policy Officer P4 (Head of Programme) at World Food Programme
- Terms of Reference International Consultant to Develop Labour Migration Policy and action plan for Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
- Terms of Reference National Consultant to support an International Consultant in Developing Labour Migration Policy and action plan for Federa
- Finance & Administration Manager at Malaria Consortium
- Senior Disbursement Assistant at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)