Under the direct supervision of the Regional Program Manager Africa and the technical direction of the Security Advisor HQ (SA), the Regional Security Officer (RSO) Africa oversees IDLO’s security risk management in programme countries in sub-Saharan Africa, ensuring that the appropriate measures and security policies are implemented and in place and that emerging security and safety issues are responsively addressed.
The RSO Africa monitors security issues in assigned countries and ensures that an integrated approach is taken to security risk management across the region. Furthermore, RSO Africa provides regional Field Security Officers with all necessary technical direction and support in order to meet regional and HQ needs.
The incumbent further facilitates compliance with respect to all security policies, procedures, and practices, and advises on all necessary IDLO security directives/instructions.
- Directly oversee security infrastructure and daily operations in the Uganda country office;
- Monitor, review and oversee security risk management for IDLO in sub-Saharan Africa (except for the Sahel region), ensuring that it is adapted to the local security environment, capable of responding to emergent security concerns, and is harmonized across the region, providing technical support and direction to FSOs, as required;
- Review regional security procedures and guidelines and ensure that they are in line with the Security Risk Management Policy Framework (SRMPF) and the in-country Security Risk Management (SRM) processors and recommend adjustments as may be required in order to sustain effectiveness;
- Assess program strategies in terms of exposure and risk and determine the appropriate risk mitigation measures and posture;
- Advise Security Management Team (SMT) in-country and/or at the regional level and IDLO staff of risks associated with the work and with the local environment, and on mitigation measures as well as to develop a culture of security.
- Collaborate with the Security Adviser HQ on security regional risk management developments in order to facilitate his/her advice and ensuring a clear understanding of regional security issues;
- Build networks of collaboration with security representatives of other international organizations, security providers, diplomatic services, and local government security forces in order to ensure that a support infrastructure is in place to respond emergencies and anticipate emerging security issues;
- Represent Uganda and sub-Saharan Africa (except for the Sahel region) at global security meetings.
1. Directly oversee security infrastructure and daily security operations in the Uganda country office:
- Establish and update local security policies, ensuring adaptation to the local security environment in order to mitigate risks to IDLO staff and partners in the implementation of the organization’s work in line with the Security Risk Management Policy Framework (SRMPF);
- Identify threats and advise IDLO staff on risks associated with projects (and movement) in the locality in order to establish heightened awareness and uniform compliance to strengthen a culture of security in the country office;
- Build staff capacities related to security and safety, and risk mitigation;
2. Monitor and review IDLO security risk management in sub-Saharan Africa (except for the Sahel region), ensuring that it is adapted to the local security environment, capable of responding to emergent security concerns, and harmonized across the region, providing technical support and direction to FSOs, as required;
3. Review regional security procedures and guidelines and ensure that they are in line with the Security Risk Management Policy Framework (SRMPF) and the in-country Security Risk Management (SRM) processors and recommend adjustments as may be required in order to sustain effectiveness;
- Provide advice to SMT in-country/region and direct Field Security Staff to ensure that IDLO security policies and procedures are in line with the SRMPF and that practices appropriately support the Organization’s field operational program priorities;
- Advise SMT in-country/region and program staff of the assessed security risks and of the development of security risk management measures to mitigate assessed risks to IDLO’s operations;
- Develop a culture of security within the region;
4. Assess program strategies in terms of exposure and risk and determine the appropriate risk mitigation measures;
5. Advise SMT in-country and/or region and IDLO staff of risks associated with the work and with the local environment, and on mitigation measures in order to develop a culture of security;
6. Maintain a collaborative relationship with Security Adviser HQ, especially on security regional risk management developments, and facilitate his/her clear understanding of regional security issues;
7. Build networks of collaboration with security representatives of other international organizations, security providers, diplomatic services, and local government security forces in order to ensure that a support infrastructure is in place to respond to emergencies and anticipate emerging security issues;
8. Represent the region at global security meetings.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related or equivalent discipline;
- A minimum of –seven (7) years of experience in UN/NGO/IGO Security Management.
- Experience working in an international context is highly desired.
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge in English and French is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Actively develops and leverages a productive network of client relationships (external or internal) to anticipate business needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT software and internet software.
- Excellent team leadership and general management skills.
- Contributes encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities.
- Provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others. Contributes to a fair environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation.
- Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Acts as a role model and offers guidance to colleagues. Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences, and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down, and across) to develop and motivate others.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the region, if required.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited professional position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an international Affiliate Contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding. IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of USD 90,000 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical insurance, and leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Applications will be screened on a regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
- Job City Kampala