Remote Consultancy Opportunity
Contract: International Consultant Level I
Title: VTS focal point
Estimated starting date: 18 April
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the largest humanitarian organisation delivering food assistance to over 90 million beneficiaries in 80 countries on a yearly basis. With over 5000 trucks, 50 ships and close to 100 planes on the move every single day, WFP, together with its partners, operates a global network to deliver life-saving food assistance to the most hard-to reach places.
WFP owns, leases and globally operates more than 900 trucks of different configurations, trailers and workshop facilities throughout 28 Country Offices (COs). The WFP fleet is deployed to fill critical gaps in local transport capacity and stabilize transport rates in the event of increased insecurity and/or sudden growth in demand, as well as pioneer new routes that, due to prevailing insecurity, would remain inaccessible to local transporters. The Global Fleet unit provides a range of fleet services to WFP and non-WFP entities such as spare parts supply, technical trainings, capacity strengthening projects and the managing of a corporate fleet management- and vehicle tracking systems.
The VTS focal point in WFP’s Global Fleet Unit coordinates and supports the procurement, installation and maintenance of the GPS devices in all COs with truck fleet operations. This includes liaison with the vendor on hardware orders, airtime subscription management, and development of projects. With regards to field support, the VTS focal point engages with the fleet units in the COs to provide training and guidance on the use of the tracking web-platform. Physical trainings for installation of the hardware are also part of the job description, as well as coordinating installations done at the truck manufacturers’ facilities. In addition, Global Fleet provides monthly reports on the status of the GPS units through the VTS focal point to the COs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general supervision of the Global Fleet System Manager, the incumbent shall perform the following duties:
- Develop a strategic roadmap for vehicle tracking implementation in WFP fleet operations.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to WFP staff and partners related to vehicle tracking solutions.
- Manage the development and implementation of the Global Fleet Portal ensuring that objectives are achieved in compliance with functional strategies, policies and plans.
- Conduct financial analysis and review Global Fleet budget procedures, to optimize the use of funds by implementing a funds management system for data driven decision making.
- Collect and analyze relevant technical data within WFPs spare parts supply chains to forecast operational needs and enable data-based decision making.
- Plan and lead on implementation of fleet dashboards providing advanced and dynamic analytics to Country Offices.
- Plan, organize and supervise the work of the VTS assistant staff to ensure that tasks are accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Global Fleet System Manager.
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in business administration, engineering, data science or supply chain.
- Three to five years of relevant professional experience in logistics, business analytics, system design, and transport tracking systems;
- Good analytical ability to compile, maintain and analyze data;
- Experience in fleet/workshop management
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Excellent project management, communications and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural team environment;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Understanding of WFP’s logistics practices is considered an advantage
- Proficiency in English and intermediate knowledge of another official UN language
How to apply
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Application deadline: 29 March 2022 (midnight Rome time)
Your CV must be submitted in English
Women applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.