This internship program is open to East African nationals and Master students enrolled in East African universities
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm specialized in complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. Our clients include, for example, the World Bank, USAID, TechnoServe, Promundo, the Mastercard Foundation, and several UN agencies.
This year, we have research internship positions open in three of our offices: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Kigali (Rwanda) and Nairobi (Kenya).
Also Read Nigeria Ngo Jobs
Job Description & Key Responsibilities
At Laterite, we tend to work simultaneously on a variety of short term to medium term research projects. As a Research Intern, you will be assigned to one research project to be determined before you start, depending on your interests, timing and Laterite’s needs.
This is a position that will provide you hands-on experience conducting rigorous research in complex projects. It is a very practical application of the tools and techniques you learn in your development, econometrics and data science classes.
As an intern in one of our offices, you will support one (or more) of Laterite’s various data collection, research, or program evaluation projects. This might include conducting or assisting with:
- Development of survey questionnaires
- Coding in the survey using SurveyCTO
- Monitoring incoming data for quality assurance
- Analysis data using Stata
- Report writing including policy briefs, blogs or other outputs
Our ideal candidates are master students or recent graduates with strong technical research skills, passionate about international development and structured in their thinking.
- (Ongoing) Master’s degree in Economics, Econometrics, Development Research, Nutrition, Public Health or related sectors with a quantitative data analysis component
- Proficiency in Stata
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- East African citizens and/or Master student enrolled in a East African university
In addition, we welcome:
- Experience working with at least one ODK-based platform (e.g., SurveyCTO)
- Organizational and interpersonal skills, self-motivation and drive
Full job description: Link to PDF here
This opportunity is offered as a paid internship.
Dates are flexible and can be decided between Laterite and successful applicants. We expect the interns to work with us for at least 2-3 months.
How to apply
The first step is to complete a 30-minute numeracy and literacy assessment for which no special preparation is needed. Link to assessment: https://form.jotform.com/220404098182552
Successful candidates will then be invited to upload their CV and cover letter via our online application system.
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2022.
For more information about how rolling applications work and about our recruitment process in general, please refer to our Careers page: laterite.com/careers.
You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Internship” on the subject line.