- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position:
- Our clients stabilization engagement in Mozambique is part & parcels of the govt’s priorities in Cabo Delgado, as embodied in the reconstruction plan & contributing to the strategy for the resilience & integrated development of the north as well as to the recovery & peacebuilding assessments.
- Since 2021, our client has initiated stabilization interventions to assist the govt. of Mozambique in its efforts to reestablish the presence of the state in the reclaimed areas, paving the way for reconstruction & a subsequent safe & voluntary return of IDPs to their areas of origin. Our client is already working in the districts of Macomia, Quissanga, Mocimboa da Praia & Palma. Benefiting from decades of experience in stabilization activities elsewhere on the continent & in the world & with an office fully established in Pemba in 2021, our client is supporting the govt. in 3 interrelated & complementary pillars as part of stabilization namely (a) community security is improved with a focus on rule of law & access to justice, creating the foundation for social cohesion, peace & development, (b) basic services & infrastructure are rehabilitated, functional & accessible & the capacity of local authorities are developed to improve access to service delivery, (c) socio economic support is provided to individuals & communities, including immediate livelihood support for affected populations.
- In conjunction with its stabilization engagement, our client is in the process of commencing a number of research activities in selected localities of Cabo Delgado, the aim being to reinforce the stabilization interventions through a deliberate community monitoring engagement. In addition, the objective is also to build an evidence base that will inform the design of future interventions to be undertaken under later phases of the stabilization engagement. To this end, activities to be undertaken include systems mapping analysis of ongoing interventions in the area, primary data collection through rapid ethnography (including the conducting of focus groups with community members), analysis of communities’ & stakeholders’ perceptions of development challenges & participatory design of interventions with self sustaining business models. Throughout these activities, our client will engage not only with local communities but also with representatives of civil society, private sector & the govt., to create a social innovation platform of actors that jointly contribute to the analysis & identification of needed actions. In the design & implementation of these research related activities, our client is working closely with the Agirre Lehendakaria Center, an organisation based in Spain which will remotely guide & help implement the activities.
- Primary data collection as described above is to be undertaken by our clients community reporting / livelihoods team in connection to other activities undertaken in target districts. However, our client is seeking the support of an experienced & highly qualified Mozambiqcan national to help ensure oversight & coordination of primary data collection, to systematically record & analyse data collected in line with the prescribed deep listening methodology & to compile information available internally within our client that is relevant to the research activities.
- Taking into consideration the security situation on the ground, the role will include travel to selected communities in Cabo Delgado.
- The Research & Project Development Associate will closely work with the Data Analytics & Management Specialist (based in Maputo), the Communication & Data Assistant (based in Pemba), the M&E & Reporting Officer (based in Pemba) & the Head of Experimentation (based in Maputo). Under the overall supervision of the Data Analytics & Management Specialist. The Research & Project Development Associate will additionally work closely with the Agirre Lehendakaria Center, who will provide capacity building, coaching & technical advice related to the assignment & who will be responsible for producing analytical products based on data collected.
Role objectives: The overall objective is to support our clients stabilization project in Cabo Delgado in implementing community monitoring & participatory project design by being the link between the community reporting team responsible for primary data collection in local languages & the Data Analytics & Management Specialist responsible for the oversight & quality assurance of the activities. The objective is also to support our client by undertaking other desk based research activities & by providing context analysis of the situation on the ground in Pemba & selected localities, necessary for successful project implementation. Description of tasks & responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Attend weekly remote support sessions with the Agirre Lehendakaria Center, biweekly review sessions with the Data Analytics & Management Specialist, the Head of Experimentation & other client related staff & other meetings as required.
- Attend in person training in systems mapping / systems analysis, rapid ethnography, co-creation, sensemaking, collective interpretation & prototyping.
- Study & internalise written training material / guidance in Portuguese related to the assignment.
- Create a database of potential interviewees & together with ALC, help manage the interview schedule for primary data collection.
- Conduct systems analysis in close collaboration with ALC & by engaging with our clients staff in Pemba & other stakeholders as needed.
- Compilation of information for systems mapping (desk based).
- Ensure information & documentation related to the assignment is consistently stored on our clients corporate Share Point.
- Actively contribute to knowledge management & internal dissemination of information surrounding the activities, including by participating at internal & external webinars & by jointly with ALC producing a monthly internal newsletter to disseminate information about the activities undertaken.
- Coordinate with the community reporting / livelihood team to ensure data is collected as planned during field missions.
- Enter & code data within the prescribed template.
- Help conduct listening sessions with local communities in the field.
- Conduct other research related activities, such as monitoring of events & media articles & documentation through photography.
- Support the analysis of narratives, challenges & opportunities in selected communities.
- Excel matrix populated with systems mapping data.
- Excel matrix populated with deep listening (community monitoring data).
- Regular & high quality primary qualitative data collection.
- This role will work under the overall supervision of the Data Analytics & Management Specialist & will report the progress biweekly to the Data Analytics & Management Specialist.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline is required.
- 2 years of relevant experience is required.
- Experience in qualitative data collection & primary data collection, ideally in an armed conflict or post conflict context is required.
- Experience in coding & analysis of qualitative data is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of conflict sensitivity in research is required.
- Proactivity, autonomy & ability to effectively communicate within a diverse team is required.
- Good interpersonal & networking skills is required.
- Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point) is required.
- Academic background or other experience of ethnographic research is desired.
- Experience working with international organisations, within our outside of Mozambique is desired.
- Experience in project design & / or implementation in livelihoods, food systems, basic services, or infrastructure projects is desired.
- Demonstrated interest in sociology & social psychology is desired.
- 2 years experience in a role that has at least some component of qualitative or mixed methods research is required.
- Knowledge of Cabo Delgado is required.
- Experience working or studying outside of Mozambique is desired.
- Fluency in English & Portuguese is required.
- Proficiency in Makuhwa, Makonde, Mwani, Kimuani, Makue & / or Spanish is desired.
- Very strong analytical skills, especially relating to qualitative data (interviews).
- High level of data & computer literacy.
- Understanding of conflict sensitivity & do no harm in research.
- Very high level of autonomy & proactivity.
- Good skills in written communication.
- High level of organization & ability to prioritise actions under time constraints.
- Excellent team worker, ability to constructively communicate with co workers.
- Curiosity & willingness to learn on the job.
- This role will closely work with the Data Analytics & Management Specialist (based in Maputo), the Communication & Data Assistant (based in Pemba), the M&E & Reporting Officer (based in Pemba) & the Head of Experimentation (based in Maputo). The incumbent will additionally work closely with the Agirre Lehendakaria Center, who will provide capacity building, coaching & technical advice related to the assignment & who will be responsible for producing analytical products based on data collected.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
- Project Control Associate at UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Post-Doctoral Researcher (overseas) at UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- MOZAMBIQUE – ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER (M/F) – MUEDA at Solidarités International
- Emergency Response Manager, Pemba Mozambique. at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Epidemiologist, Senior Research Associate, Southern Africa at Clinton Health Access Initiative