Purpose and Objectives: Resource Mobilization Advisor
The Ethiopian Disaster Risk Management Commission (EDRMC) is mandated to lead Ethiopia’s Disaster Risk Management work in the country. The commission in collaboration with its partner had developed the “DRM Strategic Plan and Investment Framework (DRM-SPIF)” approved by the Federal Government in 2013. Accordingly, the National DRM mainstreaming guideline was developed and launched in 2018. Guided by the strategy and guideline, the EDRMC has embarked on an initiative to mainstream disaster risk management across all line ministries as well as regional states. The EDRMC is currently in the process of finalizing its policy reform agenda and a 10-years strategic plan taking into consideration the complex humanitarian situations, risk management dynamics, and global system change. As part of the enhancement of the resource mobilization to increase funding opportunities for EDRMC for the long-term organizational sustainability and effective DRM implementation, the commission has taken major steps in close collaboration with multiple directorates of EDRMC and external stakeholder organizations.
EDRMC in partnership with the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), is currently implementing a program namely “Improving Coordination Capacity for Preparedness and Emergency Response in Ethiopia (ETCOR)” with funding support from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (The Foundation). The program aims to improve the institutional capacity of EDRMC and key sectoral ministries including Agriculture and Health by enhancing systems, capacity, and coordination mechanisms for preparedness and response, and improving information and knowledge management system.
Initially, the program will focus on supporting the relevant Government institutions in the effective coordination of emergency relief, humanitarian coordination, emergency preparedness, and early recovery in the conflict-affected areas in Northern Ethiopia and other vulnerable regions where the respective sectoral stakeholders are involved. The medium- to long-term focus will be on enhancing the inter-and intra-sectoral coordination capacity of the Government system for overall preparedness and emergency response in Ethiopia through technical and leadership capacity development support to the relevant agencies within the framework of Ethiopia National DRM policy and implementation strategy.
The program is looking to recruit a qualified consultant as the Resource Mobilization Advisor to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The consultant will be responsible for leading the implementation of identified activities in this TOR. The key objectives of the position include:
- To define resource requirements for HRP preparation, operational plans of DRM implementations, and develop a fundraising strategy for EDRMC.
- To ensure efficient resources management and utilization systems at the National, regional and, local levels.
- To support DRM decentralization, provide technical guidance for strategic planning and contingency planning.
- To support national DRM food and non-food reserve management.
- To provide technical support to DRR&R Directorate in developing a tracking system for investment, budget gap, and requirement analysis of DRM and CCA mainstreaming works of all relevant development sector ministries.
- To develop formats, tools, and guidelines for resources mobilization, support organization potential donors data, provide up-to-date information on various donor requirements and resources available for the different DRMSPIF components implementation.
- To support and enhance the disaster risk financing strategy of the DRM Policy.
- To provide technical support to the humanitarian/development/peace nexus initiatives and their realization along with the DRM Policy and map out resource allocations either to emergency or development programs.
This consultant position is open for Ethiopian Nationals only. The position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
As part of the Program Management Unit (PMU), the Resource Mobilization Advisor would be based in EDRMC. The consultant will directly report to the Deputy Commissioner, and work closely with the Partner Cooperation and Resource Mobilization Director, Finance Director, Planning Director, and staff, and coordinate with EDRMC Directorates for:
- Strengthening a resource mobilization strategy and institutional fundraising guideline.
- Establishing a clear overview of current and potential funding opportunities for EDRMC.
- Conducting donor mapping and submiting proposals to potential donors.
- Mapping the progress of disaster risk financing implementation in the EDRMC.
- Mapping resources earmarked for emergency and DRR development programs of EDRMC.
The consultant is expected to commence the work from September 2022 till August 2023. Below are the expected outputs with the timeline.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Review EDRM history, strategy, work plan, project proposals, and funding model to understand the needs and help positioning the organization for resource mobilization.
- Consult with the EDRMC senior management team (which includes staff, council members, and DRM-TWG partner) to understand the organization’s vision, mission, and focus areas.
- Conduct a comprehensive analysis of potential global and local donors based on thematic interest and assess the feasibility of securing multi-year and thematic funding.
- Map donors’ strategic areas of interest, funds available, grantees, funding windows, requirements and guidelines, and interest in funding DRR/M areas. Along these lines, explore opportunities for partnerships (and mobilizing & leveraging resources) from other partners like the private sector.
- Develop a plan to engage new donors (traditional and non-traditional).
- Draft master fundraising proposal(s) aligned with the new Strategy.
- Develop objectives for fundraising, methods, strategies, and focus (bilateral, private sector, public funding, foundations).
- Develop partnership and funding agreements.
- Recommend strategies to develop and maintain strategic partnerships and engagement with key donors.
- Develop a series of fundraising materials (print and digital) to secure funding/raise the profile of EDRMC, including website content.
- Review and enrich resource mobilization guidelines.
- Provide regular monthly progress updates and quarterly comprehensive reports.
Working Principles and Reporting:
In performing the duties and responsibilities indicated above, the consultant will report directly to the Deputy Commissioner at EDRMC, and will closely work with the Partner Cooperation and Resource Mobilization Directorate, Finance, Planning Directorates and staff, and coordinate with other EDRMC Directorates.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent)in Economics, Disaster Risk management, Marketing, Development Studies, Planning, Business Administration, Communication, Humanitarian affair or a related field with working experience in Ethiopia is essential. Ph.D.in a related field would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in Economics, Disaster Risk management Marketing, Development studies, Planning, Business Administration, Communication, Humanitarian affair, or a related field
- Familiarity and international experience in working in the development sector – preferably on fundraising, risk financing, resource mobilization, and partnership building. Sound understanding and application of development management or strategic planning concepts, methodologies, and tools.
- Proven experience and success in developing business models and mobilizing funds for civil society and international non-governmental organizations and also for Gov.
- Knowledge and experience in community-led monitoring, humanitarian emergencies, global advocacy, and community research, strengthening community systems, building community capacities, strategic partnerships, and humanitarian/development/Peace nexus
- Excellent knowledge of critical donors focused on issues listed above.
- Proven track record of generating significant funding.
- Experience and expertise in developing and maintaining good relationships with institutional donors or corporations.
- Experience of working in multicultural contexts including negotiations promotions and appraisal.
- Strong analytical, strategic thinking, and planning skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the working ethics of national government agencies, International NGOs, National NGOs, private organizations, and international organizations would prove to be an added advantage.
- Self-motivated, pro-active, and takes initiatives;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, and organize work & time independently;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and team-oriented work style
- Strong networking capacity and understanding of humanitarian/development/peace nexus at local and regional levels; and if possible global level.
- Strong desire to learn, undertake new challenges, must be creative problem-solver, and must have self-confidence;
- Willingness to work hard, good sense of humor but with seriousness about the quality and excellence of work.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Verbal and written communication skills in Amharic are essential. Knowledge of another language is an advantage.
- Operate within all EDRMC and ADPC Guidelines & Procedures/ Policies;
- Operate within specific program needs.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 12 months from September 2022 to August 2023 with the possibility of extension based on the performance and technical requirement of the position and duration of the project.
The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), based in Bangkok, Thailand, is an autonomous international organization with a vision to reduce disaster and climate risk impacts on communities and countries in Asia and the Pacific by working with governments, development partners, international organizations, NGOs, civil society, private sector, media, and other key stakeholders.
- Job City Addis Ababa