Position Title: Resources Management Officer
Duty Station: Kalemie, Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 04 August 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC); and, in coordination with relevant Units at Headquarters (HQ) and Regional Office (RO Pretoria), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supporting the monitoring of the budgetary, financial, human resources and administrative functions of the DRC Country Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In Coordination with the SRMO, support in the financial monitoring and management, including the oversight of financial expenditures and accountability. Participate in financial analysis of all activities in Kalemie suboffice.
- Coordinate with Senior Management and the SRMO in the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in Kalemie suboffice while ensuring daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Participate in the preparation and draft portions of the annual budget for the Country Office and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistently with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
- Assist in the supervision of the Country Office’s administrative functions, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures.
- Support monitoring of the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, asset administration, and transport support within established internal control mechanisms.
- Evaluate, monitor and update the database of vendor/contractor accreditation and evaluation status to ensure a pool of reliable vendors and contractors.
- Establish and monitor a tracking system of commodities, supplies, and equipment and project assets in the Country Office.
- Liaise with other internal functional Units of the Country Office, and support the supervisor in liaising with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Liaise with relevant Units at SRMO and RMO in Kinshasa with regard to the financial and administrative activities of Kalemie Office.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration, from an accredited academic institution; with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Professional certification as Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
- Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
- Good understanding of Human Resources Management and Procurement/Logistics processes;
- Experience with internal control assessment, preparations for internal audit and or external audit;
- Experience with IOM/ other UN entity’s regulations, policies and procedures;
- Experience with international institutions knowledge of IPSAS and SAP highly desirable; and,
- Experience with IOM or similar accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of financial rules and regulations; and,
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 August 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.07.2022 to 04.08.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 234 Resources Management Officer (P2) Kalemie, Democratic Republic of Congo (57683400) Released
Posting: Posting NC57683401 (57683401) Released
Related UN Jobs In Africa
- JPO – UNAIDS Programme Officer at UNAIDS
- Head of Resources Management at International Organization for Migration
- Programme Officer (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)) at International Organization for Migration
- Project Development and Reporting Officer at International Organization for Migration