The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Helpline, RightsCon, Grants, and Operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The RightsCon Program Coordinator will work within the RightsCon team, and across all Access Now teams, to support the development and execution of a speaker and high production event strategy for the RightsCon Summit Series (rightscon.org). The individual will report through the RightsCon Program Manager, and work closely with the RightsCon team and production staff to coordinate, operationalize, and implement processes related to speaker management and RightsCon’s fireside chat series.
What You Will Do
- Track and document speaker invitations and placements in the program, and update project management tools and trackers on a regular basis
- Serve as the first point of contact for high-level speakers, triaging and escalating concerns to the Program Manager or other staff where appropriate
- With the Program Manager, design and develop a series of 10-15 high production events (fireside chats) during the summit that complement or intersect with program themes and anchor community priorities
- Work with the private program and Open Spaces lead to cultivate a strategy for high-level speakers and/or executive teams to engage in closed-door and social settings
- With the Platform and Production Manager, establish standards and guidelines for fireside chats to ensure venue/platform requirements are met
- Coordinate technical checks for high-level speakers and executive teams in the lead-up to the summit, manage all scheduling and logistical needs, and work with the public program lead to integrate fireside chats into the program schedule
- Devise and implement a speaker application process for the RightsCon community and/or explore options to connect interested speakers with public session organizers
- Work with the public program lead and Participant Experience Coordinator to conduct a diversity audit of all sessions, and recommend and place interested speakers where key perspectives are not well represented
- With the Program Manager, review processes to date and develop a strategic plan for speaker engagement and management, and the curation of high production events
- With the Program Manager, refine internal policies on speaker management, including compensation and funding
- Manage and allocate requests for speaker fees based on RightsCon’s speaker policy and strategy
Communications and reporting
- Draft, prepare, schedule, and send communications to high-level speakers and speaker applicants, and respond to general program inquiries through the RightsCon inbox
- Develop and contribute to blogs, reports, FAQs, and other website copy related to high-level speakers and fireside chats, and work with the Communications Manager to showcase select speakers in the program
- Support the Communications Manager and Design team with the development of social kits, press lists, and media assets for speaker promotion
- Prepare reports for internal analysis to assess the outcomes of the diversity audit, and inform a data-driven strategy for high-level speakers and fireside chats that furthers RightsCon’s strategic vision
You are a highly enthusiastic team player, with experience working on complex projects involving many people in often different time zones. RightsCon offers a platform to a diverse, global community, and we welcome candidates with a variety of backgrounds who are passionate about building community-oriented spaces to advance human rights in the digital age.
Knowledge, Skills & Mindset You Bring
- Strong understanding of and appreciation for the key issues and challenges facing the internet and its users;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Ability to drive processes and timelines to meet deadlines;
- Unwavering attention to detail and high level of organization;
- Excellent communication abilities, able to liaise with many people from various backgrounds.
This is a full-time position, ideally based in our Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Tunis, or Washington, DC office, with flexibility for remote work locations. At this time Access Now Team Members are working remotely full-time, with a likely return to offices in 2022. The successful candidate must have the legal right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation in line with skills and experience, and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated between $3,750-$4,000/month USD gross monthly, and will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. Benefits for this specific role, if filled within the US, include paid healthcare – medical, dental, and vision insurance – as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program match. If filled in one of the other locations listed above, salary and benefits will align to the corresponding region accordingly. While specific compensation, insurance, and other benefits vary by region, all Access Now Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Application Link: https://accessnow.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=84&source=aWQ9MjI%3D