Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Category: G1
Monthly Salary: 1,001.00 – 1,217.00 USD Based on Candidate`s relevant educational qualification and work experience
Reporting To: Country Director
Direct Reports: None
Unit/Department: Risk and Compliance
Posting date: June 9, 2023
Closing date: June 23, 2023
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
To lead on Risk Management with a key focus on Legal and CoC Compliance. The R&C Coordinator leads on strategic measures to nurture a culture of compliance and risk management across country operations.
External Representation (Legal Compliance)
- Ensure DRC operations follow the local legislations, advise SMT on any changes in NGO law or risks associated with the operations in due course
- Work closely with the lawyer re CoC cases ensuring best outcomes for DRC
- Ensure timely registration of the DRC projects with GoA, as required by the current legislation
- Coordinate and lead the process of the timely submission of the mandatory reports to Government
- Provide support to teams on field level regarding implementation of local compliance requirements.
- Regular risk assessment and its systematic follow-up guided by DRC’s Risk Management process.
- Develop action plans based on the Risk Mitigation plans agreed by SMT and follow-up on implementation.
- Organize regular trainings/refreshers on Risk management framework for DRC and Partners to ensure staff awareness.
- Take lead on new staff induction regarding Risk and Compliance processes.
- Conduct internal audits of risk mitigation measures.
- Coordinating Risk Register process with County SMT, Regional / HQ focal points.
- In consultation with SMT, develop compliance framework and processes for all business areas.
- Ensure systematic vetting process of program and operations from legal Compliance perspective.
- Develop tools and provide training to specific staff with role in day-to-day compliance
- Conduct Compliance reviews/audits on periodic basis in all field offices.
- Assist management to conduct specific non-compliance investigations at CO level.
- Take lead on Compliance section of Result Contract and provide quarterly report/update.
- Establish external resources i.e., Legal consultants in regard to compliance initiatives.
- Prepare briefings for SMT on risks considering legal opinions to take informed decisions.
Code of Conduct & Accountability
- Ensure CO has smooth functioning COCRM committees and to provide training to all members on their roles.
- Establish regular/correct functioning of operational feedback committee or beneficiary feedback mechanism in coordination with MEAL Manager.
- Ensure a sufficient availability of trained investigators in CO.
- Conduct trainings/refresher for staff round the year. Conduct CoC inductions to all new staff.
- Ensure proper visibility materials are rolled out for CoC/Accountability/ COCRM in all operational areas.
- Develop a proper mechanism to train every staff, especially front-line staff on CoC/CoCRM
- Any other tasks as required by the scope
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 3-5 years professional work experience in humanitarian organizations in the same field.
- Experience with reporting, compliance, grant management
- Understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks.
- Knowledge of the local laws related to NGO and context in Ethiopia is a required.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- University degree in organizational development, international relations, humanities, public and social policy or related field(s)
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with national staff and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach;
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis and exams will be conducted before the deadline as soon as we get sufficient qualified candidates. So, we would like to encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
We only accept applications sent via our Online application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=168350 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than June 23, 2023.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Finance Lead, USAID/Somalia Accelerated Basic Education Activity at Save the Children – US
- Education Lead, USAID/Somalia Accelerated Basic Education Activity atSave the Children
- Chief of Party, USAID/Somalia Accelerated Basic Education Activity at Save the Children
- Monitoring and Evaluation Lead, USAID/Somalia Accelerated Basic Education Activity at Save the Children – US
- Deputy Emergency Programs Director at Mercy Corps