The DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region and has been providing relief and development services since 1997. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The position holder is required to implement and ensure compliance with Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) Environmental and Social Safeguarding instruments against the World Bank’s approved Environmental and Social Safeguards Management Framework (ESMF) and/or relevant environmental policies and regulations/directives of the Federal Government of Somalia. He/she will be based in Mogadishu with regular visits to project areas of Jowhar, Mahaday/MahadWeyne, Balcad and Jalalaqsi ensuring that E&S proposed mitigation measures are implemented according to the agreed environmental and social risk mitigation implementation plan.
The Environmental and Social Safeguarding Specialist will report to the SCRP Program Manager and will also work closely with other relevant stakeholders involved in the implementation and supervision of SCRP Project.
- In consultation with DRC’s SCRP Project Manager, develop Environmental and Social Safeguards (ESS) guidelines and tools specific to DRC’s SCRP project activities.
- Work with project teams to ensure putting context-sensitive process plan for the implementation of the ESS processes in all project sites.
- Take the lead in the development of an activity-specific Environment and Social Management Plan (ESMP) before the commencement of the project/sub-project activities.
- Update the ESMP and ESS screening tools to ensure screening of all site-specific activities before commencing implementation of given project activities.
- Assist the project team with the assessment of resource efficiency and pollution preventive management to ensure mitigation measures are in place while advising the project team, subcontractors, and beneficiaries/local communities on potential environmental hazards and risks.
- Conduct environmental due diligence on project sites to assess project implementation compliance with applicable environmental guidelines and World Bank regulations.
- Advise the Project Manager on the minimum quality standards of the consultancy work and recommend appropriate actions to be taken for improvement as per the ESS safeguarding principles, plans and guidelines.
Risk mapping, monitoring and reporting:
- Undertake an environmental and social risk assessment and categorization of various sub-project activities including activities in need of further detailed investigations while identifying potential alternative solutions to the risks.
- Review and monitor potential risks to project implementation (environmental and social) that may affect the success of recovery and livelihood support activities.
- Develop and deliver a series of regular spot checks to ensure ESS policies are properly implemented at the field level in line with the guidelines and recommend any remedial action points and follow up procedures, where gaps are identified.
- Review and assess consultancy work such as products/services provided by consultants and determine any potential negative on ESS risks and utilize this to develop a focused ESMP for that sub-project.
- Responsible for environmental safety and inspection of project activities to proactively detect, correct, and minimize the impact of any non-compliance issues. This includes review of project/activity plans, designs, cost and bid documents with an aim of ensuring that environmental factors and relevant mitigations are incorporated, if necessary.
- Prepare ESS monitoring reports (monthly, quarterly, field visits) on the safeguarding risks with appropriate mitigation measures and actions for all sub-projects.
- Oversee the implementation of the proposed mitigations with program and support teams in accordance with the agreed environmental and social mitigation implementation plan.
- Monitor environmental health and safety awareness among workers and the beneficiaries and provide awareness and sensitization activities were needed.
- Monitor and update the Project Risk Register, and assess the adequacy of the proposed measures to avoid, mitigate and/or manage identified environmental and social risks and impacts in the same.
- Advise/guide the Project Manager in the conduct of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs) on appropriate standards in line with ESS World Bank regulations.
- Develop environmental and social safeguard responsive strategies and plans, and provide trainings to project teams on how to use and implement these strategies and plans.
- Carry out training on integrating ESS principles in SCRP programme to DRC staff, subcontractors, beneficiaries/local community and other relevant stakeholders to ensure improving capacity and awareness creation to be able to comply with safety and environmental regulations and policies, and to minimize the likelihood of ESS risks happening during the implementation of project activities.
- Collaborate with HR to provide ESS training to project staff and programme participants (including subcontractors, beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders)
- Closely work and collaborate with project lead agency, subcontractors, and PIU for the project safety guidelines, maintain and update on environmental safeguarding procedures, documentation ad reports.
- In collaboration with the project team, engage with the communities and raise awareness of labor, health, and safety standards, and agree on work norms that do not disturb existing livelihood activities and are accessible to different segments of the community.
- In collaboration with the project team, ensure mainstreaming of environmental & Social Safeguarding in all project/sub-project activities
- In liaison with the procurement team, ensure that procured materials are environmentally friendly.
- Attend knowledge and information sharing meetings on Environmental and Social Safeguarding with partners if needed.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Project Manager and Risk and Compliance Coordinator
Education, experience & technical competencies. (include years of experience)
- Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Community Development, Public Health or any related Sociology field from a recognized institution.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and mail merges; email and web searches.;
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in environmental and social safeguarding in international NGOs and UN agencies, or an equivalent level.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, and has effective communication skills
- Master’s degree in Environmental Social Sciences, Community Development, Public Health or any related Sociology field.
- Proven IT skills; well versed in Windows Word, Excel, and Access; and has experience in operating an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) for supply chain system.
- Experience in Environmental and Social Safeguarding and World Bank’s Social Safeguard policies.
- Demonstrable leadership, coaching, mentoring, and team-building skills.
- Strong working relations with multi-sectorial agencies
- A team player with a strong cooperation ethic.
- Understanding of Somalia’s context and local language will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
Availability: June 2022
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reporting to: SCRP Programme Manager
Duration: 7 Months with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band G2-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
- Job City Mogadishu