RISK MANAGEMENT UNIT COORDINATOR
About the Job
The Risk Management Unit Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the Somalia Delegation’s programmes comply with ICRC institutional and operational policies. S/he leads the delegation on issues related to transparency and accountability in humanitarian operations, in order to reassure donors and affected populations of integrity of ICRC staff and operational partners, and the relevance and effectiveness of its programmes.
This is a national/resident position based in Nairobi.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets the delegation’s strategic orientation regarding transparency and accountability in humanitarian operations
- Designs the framework for monitoring compliance of assistance and support activities/processes with institutional policies and standards
- Establishes procedures, working tools and guidelines, in line with ICRC Ethics, Risk and Compliance Office (ERCO)’s frameworks, policies and guidelines, for monitoring the implementation of ICRC programmes and conducting due diligence activities
- Organizes and plans monitoring field missions, compiles findings, draws lessons learnt and recommendations and, when needed, advises the delegation on situations requiring corrective measures
- Fosters participatory planning and monitoring, by involving primary stakeholder groups (operational departments) in monitoring and evaluating their own activities
- In the planning and implementation stages, supports assistance programme teams in assessing the feasibility of proposed projects and the related risks, and in evaluating the projects’ long-term intended impact and suitability to local realities
- Supports management in performing risk assessment to identify trends and emerging risks, and defining the target risk exposure and ensures the maintenance of risk registers in line with institutional risk management processes
- Ensures clear ownership of key risks is assigned with actionable mitigation plans, performs regular follow-up on progress and facilitates the coordination across all relevant internal actors
- Provides advice and technical expertise to risk owners for the implementation of contextualized risk responses including with relevant operational policies, procedures, processes and controls activities for instance due diligence procedure
- Conducts field visits to understand the context and assess effectiveness of risk mitigation measures, advises the delegation for the improvement of risk management practices and controls.
- Challenges the effectiveness of risk management practices and recommends improvements
- Provides guidance, communication and training to managers, staff and key partners to equip them in their responsibilities to manage key risks and implement adequate controls.
- Creates risk awareness and promotes the use of documented risk assessment in management decision-making processes
- Provides consolidated analysis and report to management and contributes to institutional reporting on risk and assurance activities led by ERCO and escalates significant risks (including control weaknesses) using global performance metrics and reporting tools
- Acts as a key contact with RES Control Testing and Monitoring, external and internal audits, regulators’ visits and donor audits/due diligence assessments
- Collaborates with other Risk and Assurance functions and relevant internal stakeholders to share best practices and knowledge, identify potential synergies to address transversal risks and issues and work on global initiatives for the improvement of risk management practices and internal control system
- Manages the delegation’s Risk Management Unit. Supervises, coaches, trains and mentors risk management unit staff and external consultants
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- Degree in Risk Management, Development Studies, Sociology, Development economics, Economics, or equivalent qualification in a related field of study
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years’ experience working in humanitarian operations in the field of risk management, compliance, accountability, audit or monitoring and evaluation and at least 4 years in managerial position
- Experience working in Somalia or Somalia programme/Knowledge of Somalia context
- Comprehensive knowledge and exposure to a wide range of security, humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and protection issues
- Understanding of donor environment and accountability requirements
- Experience in leading and managing a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Possessing a strong degree of honesty and integrity, and a solid sense of ethics including the ability to appropriately handle confidential information
- Conceptual, strategic and analytical capacity
- Negotiation skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement
- Fluent (minimum C1) in English; Fluency in Somali language is a strong advantage
- Computer proficiency
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
address email@example.com. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 11th May 2023. Clearly indicate the position title Risk Management Unit Coordinator in the subject line of your email message. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For a complete job application, click on this link to fill the application form: RMU Coordinator
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.**
Click on the link for information on data protection: Personal data protection information
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Program Development Intern at JaRco Consulting
- MERL Officer at Plan International
- CONSULTANCY FOR UNDERTAKING TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY AND DEVELOPMENT OF ENGINERING DESIGNS FOR PROPOSED WATER PAN CONSTRUCTION AT ALIKUNE VILLAGE, DAADAB
- Business Development Specialist I-Ethiopia (Remote) at Catholic Relief Services
- Regional Humanitarian Military Interaction Officer (CST II), Dakar at World Food Programme