We offer flexible working and a competitive benefits package:
· UK Grade E (£38,000) or equivalent salary according to location
· 8.5% employer pension contribution or local equivalent
· Employee Assistance Programme
· Opportunity to work for a leading organisation working with and for older people globally
Key areas for impact, influence and responsibility
These outline the broad areas of responsibility in the role, but in collaboration with your colleagues you will be able to shape and design specific activities that are relevant at any point in time. We want you to work creatively to deliver impact and respond to relevant opportunities.
With your colleagues you will develop your team workplan to drive initiatives, develop ideas, as well ensure there is space for cross organizational working and short-term tasks. From this you will devise your individual workplan that will form the basis of your day to day activities and your performance reviews.
As Safeguarding Adviser you will:
· Work with the HR team to ensure all aspects of HR policy and procedure are supportive of good safeguarding practice including integration of safeguarding standards throughout the employment cycle
· Respond to allegations and plan, manage and support investigations relating to safeguarding.
· Work with Country offices to ensure that there are culturally and contextually appropriate reporting mechanisms for all those who come into contact with our work
· Ensure our safeguarding framework puts survivors central to our response, both in policy and practice
· Support the continual improvement of HelpAge’s policies and practice, sharing areas of best practice and identifying where improvements are required
· Support the publication, dissemination and implementation of policies, procedures and best practice
Let’s talk about you
You will be someone with:
· Experience of working in a safeguarding position, preferably in an International NGO setting
· An ability to work with different cultures and to adapt approaches in light of specific contexts
· Understanding of the specific risks and possible solutions in large scale, conflict related humanitarian responses
· Experience of supporting, designing and delivering safeguarding training for a range of audiences
· Experience of conducting investigations and resolving safeguarding issues
· Experience of identifying and mitigating risks
· The ability to demonstrate integrity throughout the decision-making process
· The ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships and to work in an inclusive and collaborative manner with internal and external stakeholders
· Able to demonstrate sound judgement based on evidence, knowledge and understanding
· Interest in and commitment to MAG’s humanitarian mandate
· Ability and willingness to travel internationally sometimes at short notice
· Experience of dealing with high profile safeguarding issues, including crisis management
· Relevant second language skills – i.e. Russian, French or Arabic
HelpAge International is entering into an exciting phase of its evolution as we fundamentally transform what we do, how we do it and how we are organised. Driven by our commitment to the localization agenda, we are evolving the way we partner and deliver value at the country and local level. In the coming 3 years, we will localize our country offices and programmes, and develop new and diverse forms of partnerships globally.
We seek to give primacy to local agents for change. To this end, we will replace all programmes delivered by HelpAge staff and resources on the ground with implementation by partners. This will apply across all our work -humanitarian and long-term development. Going forward, our value is framed around supporting, convening and thought leadership.
A key way of creating value and bringing impact is collaborating across boundaries and by bringing different perspectives, skills and talent together. We will deliver our work through agile teams and a global operating model, with regional roots, to focus on impact and maintain the relationships at the national level to help build collaborations and support others to set their own agendas.
At HelpAge International we work hard to achieve our goals together as a team with a clear shared purpose. Our values inform how we work together:
We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality.
We value and recognise the contribution of our staff and network members, as we put older people at the center of everything we do.
We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions.
Everyone who works at HelpAge share our values and are committed to behaviors that demonstrate and support them.
Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Closing date: 03 April 2022
Important Message: Please ensure that you remove personal information including your date of birth, age, gender and marital status from your CV. Please do not include any photographs.
How to apply
To apply for a job at HelpAge, please submit the following documents:
· A cover letter, setting out how you meet the requirements of the job profile. Please use bold headings for each requirement and provide examples.
· Your current curriculum vitae (3 pages maximum)
· Three referees, including your most recent employer
To be considered, please read the job description to find out more information and then email your application to helpAgeemail@example.com before the closing date.