This role is intended for a hyper professional, and experienced, preferably with both a humanitarian background and ideally with experience of working in a Safety and Security role who is looking for the next step in his/her career Overall Purpose of the role The Country Safety Officer’s responsibilities are to assist in the implementation of the DRC Safety Risk Management System (SRMS) within the DRC Somalia Missions areas of intervention. This encompasses monitoring the overall safety and security risk situation in DRC operational areas of intervention, aiding in the design and implementation of effective safety risk management solutions, gathers and analyses information to support effective safety risk management, operational support with monitoring, training, and capacity development for field staff and visitors
1. Safety Risk Management:
• Assist the Country Safety Coordinator in implementation and provision of technical support to implement all safety and security policies, plans and procedures for staff safety, operational security, and program continuity within the DRC Somalia Missions areas of intervention, existing and new.
Aid in the evaluation, review, and update the safety management plans on a regular basis in compliance with the DRC Somalia Mission and Global safety standards and policies and requirements as directed by the Country Safety Coordinator.
Work with Area and Base Managers to develop, consolidate and implement operating procedures and contingency plans at area and field level.
• Assist in the development of and maintain a strategic network with the Safety Focal Points at field offices and program sites throughout the country.
• Assist in the evaluation and review of the critical incident management plans for all DRC Somalia Mission area and field offices and ensure that the practical preparations are in place, known and understood to all staff involved.
• Assist in conducting safety risk assessments of prospective offices and guest houses. Follow up on the safety improvement plans to ensure compliance with the safety standards and policies.
• Working alongside and assisting the supply chain department, ensure continual assessments of equipment, and protocols by which that equipment is used, to ensure that minimal conditions for safety are being met.
• Assist the Area Management through the direction of the Country Safety Coordinator with ensuring that incident and crisis / critical incident management protocols are known by the different teams that may be implicated at area/field level by referring to the respective Suspension of Operations/Hibernation, Relocation and Evacuation (SHRE) plans.
2. Networking and Liaison:
• Under the direction of the Country Safety Coordinator, assist the local safety focal points and area/field management staff in organizing and ensuring the DRC Somalia Missions offices keep and maintain a network of key informants and interlocutors at field level to ensure timely and accrete information sharing.
• Assist with identifying, creating, and maintaining a network with INGO/UN and other humanitarian access and safety/security focal points for Somalia
3. Context Understanding and Reporting
• Submit daily security incident flash reports as needed to the Country Safety Coordinator and relevant field and program management staff.
• Work closely with DRC Somalia Missions field teams to ensure all incidents are followed up with an official Safety Incident Report (SIR).
• Monitor the operating environment in Somalia/land, identify new threats, assess the level of vulnerabilities to the DRC Somalia and recommend mitigation.
• Contribute to local-level conflict sensitivity analysis and macro-level analysis of trends within the Somalian security context. • Provide credible information and contextual understanding of localized and country-wide security situations and incidents along with appropriate advice to DRC field and program staff.
4. Training and Capacity Building
• Assist in the Identification of safety, security and access learning and development needs for country program staff.
• Assist in the provision of regular trainings for all DRC Somalia program staff on the humanitarian principles and the in-country PAST and HEIST workshops.
• Assist in the delivery of safety and security related capacity building and training of the DRC Somalia Mission area level safety focal points Experience,
Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 4 years of experience in the safety and security capacity and a minimum of two (02)- years working in the humanitarian sector within Somalia at a country level position
- University degree in relevant field, with 3 years’ experience or School Diploma with 5 years of UN/NGO experience…
- Ability to communicate diplomatically and effectively within the team, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environment
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of the team.
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
ABOUT YOU In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values
Availability**:** July 2022
Duty station: Mogadishu Reporting to: Country Safety Coordinator
Duration: 6 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band H-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics. Commitments DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework. All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. The cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form. Applications sent by email will not be considered. Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on
- Job City Mogadishu