Role: School Counsellor
Area: Child protection, PSS, social work, and safeguarding
Location: Mathare North, Nairobi, Kenya
Direct Supervisor: Child Safeguarding Protection Manager & School Principal
Contract : 1 year contract, renewable, full-time
Compensation: 350-400 Dollars/month
Still I Rise, an international NGO that works on the development and implementation of humanitarian projects aimed at the education and support of refugee children and teenagers, is looking for a School Counsellor to join its current staff in Nairobi, Kenya.
At Still I Rise we believe that every child deserves high quality education, and that it is never too late for any student to thrive and build a successful future.
With a safe and welcoming environment in our schools, constant support, tailored learning and behavioral plans, our staff on locations makes sure children are supported in their learning.
The selected person will join the team and will be responsible for managing and overseeing the implementation of safeguarding systems, protection policies and PSS strategies. The selected person will also be responsible for the development and adaptation of individual behavioral and learning plans for different children to local contexts.
- Train and supervise all staff on Still I Rise’s Child Protection and Safeguarding policies;
- In charge of child protection and safeguarding monitoring and reporting;
- Report child concerns to the School Principal, CSP Manager, and to the PM where appropriate;
- Follow up, together with CSP Manager and School Principal, any referral of child protection concerns as well as child safeguarding issues;
- Develop individualized behavioral and learning support strategies for students with additional needs in collaboration with the School Principal;
- Plan and run 1:1 sessions with students requiring additional support;
- Work closely with teachers to assess and refer children in need of additional support;
- Implement strategies (with the support of the CSP manger) on supporting children who have experienced and continue to experience trauma;
- Supporting the School Principal in networking and liaising with Child Protection external actors (i.e. organizations, groups, individuals);
- Supporting the School Principal in the creation of referral pathways for students and families in cooperation with the Community liaison Officer;
- Outreach work with the families of enrolled students, providing detailed records;
- Promote the engagement of parents/carers in the School and contribute to the effective and efficient delivery of information, advice and support to parents/carers of students;
- Leading community-based activities such as structured life skills sessions, workshops and community-led events, in cooperation with the Community liaison officer.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE and SKILLS:
- Degree in a specialist technical or professional field relevant to role (e.g. Child Protection, Child Rights, Psychology, Occupational Therapy);
- Registered Member of Kenya Counselling & Psychological Association (KCPA);
- Experience with case management and referrals;
- Experience working with vulnerable and traumatized children and teenagers;
- Experience working with displaced / asylum seeking children;
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple priorities;
- Commitment and willingness to work in a challenging environment;
- High level of accountability over work;
- Provision of creative solutions and ways of seeing;
- Excellent communication skills, both writing and speaking;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good IT skills including use of MS Office, Google Drive and Slack;
- Fluency in English;
- Minimum 23 years old;
- Completion of CRB/Background check (if applicable).
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE and ADDITIONAL SKILLS:
- Experience in the education sector or working within a school setting;
- Knowledge of the relevant protection actors in the region;
- Experience working in a non-profit environment.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are invited to submit their application including their CV, the authorisation to process personal data, and a cover letter in English by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org , specifying within the subject line “**SCHOOL COUNSELLOR**”.
Please note that due to the high amount of applications expected, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Thank you kindly for your interest in Still I Rise.