Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements.. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and island states
Under the guidance and supervision of the KEMC Director, the Security Officer will be responsible for supporting the KEMCO with security field assessments, field visits, monitoring the security situation.
** Functional Responsibilities
The incumbent is responsible for performing the following duties:
Technical Support Security
Also Read Nigeria Ngo Jobs
- Assists the Director in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the Kenya Multi country offices i.e Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique;
- Supports the team with security field assessments and field visits;
- Reports online security incidents affecting the project personnel, offices and assets in coordination with the supervisor;
- Provides support in conducting security assessment and provides advice on security measures as well as on latest trends and threats to staff;
- Safety and security;
- Assists in monitoring the compliance with the Security Risk Management measures and Standard Operating Procedures established in KEMC Hub;
- Maintains regular contacts with UNDSS and Security Focal Points of UN agencies in coordination with the respective Head of units;
- Represents UNOPS in UNSMS Security Cell Coordination meetings in the absence of the supervisor;
- Assists the head of the office in implementing decisions taken at the SMT;
- Identifies the needs and facilitates the procurement for necessary security equipment in line with the recommended preventive and mitigation measures based on the security risk management process;
- Liaises and coordinates with the local government security organizations;
- Assists in all security related requirements when requested;
- Assists in the implementation of Business continuity Plans in the region;
General tasks (administrative and logistics)
- Assists in maintaining updated personnel lists and submit to DSS
- Provides general administrative assistance to the UNOPS KEMCO; Provides the service of driving escort vehicle during the project field visits and missions with the assistance of a formal officer driver; Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents as needed
- Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor
Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Coordinates and supports in organising and conducting briefings, training courses on security awareness, preparedness and use of security equipment as required and in coordination with the supervisor
- Acts as a Focal Point for information sharing between DSS and project personnel in coordination with the supervisor
** Education/Experience/Language requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Social or Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Business Management or Security Management or related discipline is required;
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree), preferably in Social or Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Business Management or Security Management or related discipline is desired but not required. Experience
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in security management and coordination in and/or high risk area is required;
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in cross-border and/or coordinating and monitoring security-related issues is required;
- Direct experience with the United Nations Security System is a strong advantage;
- Ability to produce Standing Operating Procedures/Security Risk Assessments/Security Plans in accordance with UNSMS methodology is an asset;
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position’s field of expertise is desired;
- Experience in Google Suite applications (including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slide) is an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English language is required;
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- This position is based in a family duty station.
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan nationals or applicants with valid residence permits.
** Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: local Individual Contractor Agreement ( LICA)
- Contract level: Local ICA 8/ ICS 8
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
** Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
** Background Information – Kenya
The UNOPS Kenya office manages more than 60 projects in around 10 countries of eastern and southern Africa. UNOPS in Kenya helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: governance, education, health, the environment, grant management and rural development.
How to apply