**Senior back-end engineer
Build great technology that improves millions of lives.
Simprints builds innovative technology aimed to help some of the world’s most vulnerable and marginalised populations access essential services. We work to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development, making sure that every vaccine, every dollar, every public good reaches the people who need them most. We design and develop both hardware and software by applying modern tools and pioneering technology in new, challenging contexts where there is little to no internet connectivity. Our main platform uses biometric technology and analytics tools to help organisations around the globe deliver services more effectively. Having reached over 1.8 million people, we are contracted to double that number in the coming two years through our projects in Asia and sub-saharan Africa.
We are looking for senior engineers with a focus on cloud-native back-end development to join our growing tech team. You will be responsible for designing, building and operating Simprints’ back-end services. You will work on an agile, collaborative team with a commitment to clean code and robust design, along with a strong culture of continuous learning and improvement. If building technology for global health sounds exciting, we want to meet you!
This is a remote job, with a possibility to work in our Cambridge based office for UK permit holders. We like collaboration and speak to each other several times a day – between 10am and 3pm UK time. To keep the collaborative team spirit we are looking for colleagues in GMT -2/+3 – or colleagues who are able to relocate. At the time being, we will only be considering applicants within these parameters.
Our core platform team is made of mobile and back-end engineers which work closely with our product owner. Each engineer has a high level of ownership and responsibility, spanning the entire software development and delivery process:
- You will be given problems to solve, not just tasks to complete. Depending on the scope of problems, you will come up with designs alone or in collaboration with teammates specialized in other areas of the stack (mobile, data, etc). You will write design documents, and review design documents written by your colleagues.
- You will contribute reliable, maintainable, well-documented code, backed by automated tests and reviewed by your fellow back-end engineers. You will also review the contributions of your colleagues.
- You will stay up-to-date with and apply security best practices. Every member of the engineering team is responsible for protecting the data of the people whose lives Simprints is trying to improve.
- You will deploy your contributions, configure infrastructure, set up monitoring tools, investigate production issues. All back-end engineers share the responsibility of running the back-end services that allow Simprints to support projects all over the world.
Must have requirements
- At least 3 years of professional experience in back-end development. We expect familiarity with common building blocks: RESTful APIs, SQL/NoSQL database, blob storage, event streaming, etc.
- At least 1 year of professional experience operating back-end services. No need to have worked as a SysAdmin or SRE, but you should have experience with common DevOps practices: CI, CD, Microservices, Infrastructure as Code, Monitoring and Logging, etc.
- Strong learning abilities. It is amazing if you are already an expert in all the GCP services we use, the Go programming language and biometrics, but it is ok if you are not as long as you can become one.
- Good soft skills. We want to enjoy working with you every day!
- Self-starter attitude.
Nice to have requirements
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure, particularly with “serverless” services like Cloud Run, Lambda, Firestore, DynamoDB, etc.
- Expertise in Go.
- Experience with mobile and/or web front-end. You have been on the other side of the API gateway.
- Work with modern technologies: Go, “serverless” GCP services (Run, Firestore, Pub/Sub, BigQuery).
- Work on interesting engineering problems.
- Make a positive impact on millions of the most vulnerable people in the world.
- Work in a team of dedicated and talented engineers committed to writing high quality code.
- Opportunities to see our tech in action by joining our deployments around the world: Bangladesh, Ethiopia, or Zimbabwe just to name a few.
- Unlimited paid time off. Last year, the average Simprints employee took a total of 31 days off (annual leave plus UK bank holidays), an increase from 26 days two years ago.
- A fortnightly “learning Friday” dedicated to honing your skills.
- A generous Eduprints budget to spend on individual learning. In the past, Simprints engineers have spent this on attending tech conferences, enrolling in a Udacity nanodegree, and all the books you could possibly read
- Two ‘LEGO Days’ each quarter where you can work on any project you want. Past projects have ranged from exploring image processing techniques to building a LEGO train to deliver beer around the office.
You can learn more about Simprints on our website.**
How to apply
Go to www.simprints.com/careers
Or follow the link below: https://app.skeeled.com/offer/61aa3148a4c054262458f117?language=en&show_description=true