Position: SENIOR DRIVER- MOGADISHU,
I. Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the Senior Driver position based in Mogadishu.
II. Position Profile
Under the supervision of the Sr. Logistics Officer / logistics assistant the Senior Driver (Mogadishu) is responsible for the day-to-day Fleet operational support of the logistics department in ACTED’s Capital Office in Mogadishu (driving safely with staff upon request, Fleet support, expatiate support as per CLM instruction).
The senior driver might be asked to support in various aspects of the logistics department or focus on one activity. This will depend on the team structure at the Capital Office. However, all Logistic staff in Capital office are expected to cover others and be aware of the procedures for all aspects of the logistic operations. Senior driver will only be expected to be involved in all areas but with higher supervision from department supervisors and department managers.
The senior driver will be based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel between other mission bases when needed.
1. Driving duties
- Provide transport to ACTED staff e.g. to and from meetings, field missions, airport etc. when needed and ensure highest quality, courteous, efficient services and safe driving for all occupants.
- Collect and deliver mail, packages, equipment; and maintains records of all deliveries and distributions.
- Comply, always observe the Traffic rules and ACTED’s policies on driving.
- Plan ahead to meet anticipated travel requirements. Fueling, pre-travel checks, travel docs, vehicle expenses and any other docs and persons traveling for packing instructions and timings.
- Ensure all vehicle maintenance services are carried out in accordance with set service schedules and checklist duly signed and completed.
- Submit reports indicating vehicle condition and undertake all repair work assigned properly to meet set standards in readiness for travel. Also, to continuously monitor the condition of the vehicle assigned to and promptly report to the Logistics Officer in case of any damage, accidents and incidents.
- Perform operational inspection of vehicle on a regular basis and before and after long trips to include tires, lights, brakes, fuel, oil, water, and interior.
- Performs minor repairs, arranges for regular maintenance, and ensures that the vehicle is always kept clean and in good running condition.
- Ensures safety and custody of the vehicle, including tools.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, registration, logs, first aid kit, accessories and necessary spare parts are in the assigned vehicle. Also be accountable for them.
- Ensures that, in the event of an accident involving his assigned vehicle, the necessary steps required by rules and regulations are followed.
- Ensure copies of daily mileage logs, pen and clipboard are readily available in the vehicle assigned to, promptly collect used sheets to avoid loss or defacing.
- Routinely check the assigned vehicles Licenses, Insurances and promptly advice the Logistics Officer when renewals are due.
- Report immediately on route changes due to security, bad weather, road conditions or otherwise to the Logistics Officer as the situation arises.
- Ensures that all required driving training is successfully completed, and certifications are kept up to date.
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores when required.
- Exchanges relevant information and maintains an open line of communication with colleagues and his/her supervisor.
- When appropriate, undertake other related duties assigned by the supervisor and/or management.
- Protection Mainstreaming
- Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual labors).
2. Procurement. Event Planning.
- Sourcing for quotation, Source new suppliers, carry out mini tenders/obtain quotations to obtain best price/specifications/service levels.
- Events (Workshops, Capacity building, Catering services, etc.) organized and planning under the supervision of his line managers.
3. Stock, GH and office Follow up
- Prepare Stock Reception Forms (STO-05) and Stock Cards (STO-01) upon receipt of deliveries to ACTED Capital Office in Mogadishu, as well as Packing Lists (DEL-01), Waybills (DEL-02) and Stock-Exits (STO-03) as needed.
- With the Logistics Officers, and/or stockkeeper he will support in carrying out monthly Inventory and forecast bulk-stock requirements for stationery, kitchen supplies, and other office equipment.
- Follow up on maintenance needs for the buildings and perform small maintenance when required under the supervision of his line managers.
4. Reporting requested in Summary.
- Support in Preparing the Transport Follow-Up (TRA-06) each month.
- Support in preparing the monthly maintenance follow-up for all vehicles.
- Planning driver’s monthly duty schedule, manage leaves and DLR (daily work request)
- Planning Drivers weekly/daily movement plan/updating the board.
- Communicating to staff on vehicle movement plans.
- Following up with Vehicle/assets insurance renewals.
5. Administrative tasks.
- Vehicle movement Logbook filling and making sure that the procedures is followed for logbooks filling and archiving as per internal SOP and logistics Manual.
- Admin Support – delivery and picking of HR/ADM letters from external actors.
- Support the logistic department on the final report for Somalia and Somalia Project (scan and share finance docs with the CLM)
Nature of the Job.
- Working hours are determined with the contract, however, ACTED is a humanitarian organization and in practice hours are variable depending on the needs of the project(s). Working hours can range from 8am until 5pm, five days per week, can be on a shift or fixed pattern. Working hours can extend before or after these hours if required in exceptional circumstances.
- Working days can include public holidays. Although no staff are required to work during this period the needs remain, and flexibility is appreciated. In particular, the Logistics Officer may on occasion may on occasion work outside normal hours to support transport coordination (Sunday-Thursday, or occasional weekends with the prior approval of the Country Logistics Manager, HR Manager and Coordination).
- Staff attendance is monitored and staff who do not attend on time or at all can be subject to disciplinary procedures.
- Staff roles are defined in the ToR however staff can be required to fulfil other roles or duties according to the operational or strategic needs of his line managers. These duties can be defined by any line manager, FLATS manager, Project Manager, or Coordination
IV. Qualifications/Skills and Experience Required
- Prior experience in Logistics, Procurement, or Supply Chain Management. Knowledge of the humanitarian sector and international experience would be an asset.
- Holding or working towards a qualification in logistics, procurement, supply chain management, business administration, or similar. Experience or knowledge of one or more of the following areas would be an additional asset: agriculture, construction, food supply, inventory and property management, technology, transport, water, sanitation, and hygiene services.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Prior experience in fleet and transport management and execution in different context.
- Driving experience within Mogadishu and surrounding cities, with valid driving licence for at least 10 years. And valid certificate of good conduct.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Outlook, and Word).
How to apply
Qualified Nationals persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 7th June 2023 with the subject line
“SENIOR DRIVER MOGADISHU”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of the recruitment process request a candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programs from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconduct. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- POLICY AND MEDIA ADVOCACY LEAD at Faith to Action Network
- Facilitate a National Consultative Workshop to Develop an All-Inclusive and Deliberate Biodiversity Strategy in Ethiopia
- Programme Associate, Get Into at Youth Opportunity & Transformation in Africa
- Advocacy & Engagement Lead at Youth Opportunity & Transformation in Africa