Title: Senior Education Officer
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and a footprint in Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori and Kitui. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO. In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2017 of approximately US$22million.
Education Coordinator will be responsible for programme delivery in Baringo County; He/She will represent SCI in county and sub-county education forums. The Coordinator will liaise closely with Ministry of Education at county level to ensure the programme is implemented in coordination with relevant education actors. The Coordinator will provide leadership and overall fund management at county level with close collaboration with the education project implementation team.
Contract Duration: 10 Months
Reports to: Education Manager
Staff reporting to this post: 2 (Education Officer and driver)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Coordination and representation
- Build a working relationship at the county level with the committee that will provide technical oversight of the project from the Ministry of Education and UNICEF working closely with Save the Children Education Advisor.
- Represent Save the Children at county level forums.
- Ensure close collaboration with partners designated to implement other components of the project.
Programme technical delivery.
- Provide child protection to OOSC who have been enrolled to school. These services include psychosocial support, rescue and alternative family care for enrolled children in need of care & protection liaising with the county directorate of children services.
- Work closely with the County Coordinators of Education & Protection and Sub County Education/Children Officers as s/he implement the project activities. This will require building and sustain effective close working partnerships with sub county government counterparts through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme
- Build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results of the OOSC education project in the county
Programme, Partnership and award management
- Provide overall leadership, and oversee the implementation of the project in Baringo.
- Develop and maintain detailed implementation plan and annual and quarterly work plans for the project.
- Ensure the timely and efficient implementation of the Unicef education project as described in the Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP).
- In Collaboration with the field based staff, prepare annual and quarterly work plans and ensure that program activities are implemented as planned and within the approved budget.
- Participate in proposal development processes, in particular liaising with relevant Technical Specialists and programme staff to ensure that advocacy approaches are integrated within and contribute to the achievement of project results and objectives and that sufficient fund are budgeted for implementation.
- Monitor monthly expenditure and track project budgets to ensure that spending on the program is in line with the approved budgets.
- Accountable for reporting
- Foster good working relationship with Baringo County Government through MoU, joint planning, field visits and reporting.
- Act as safety and security focal person for Baringo County.
- Conduct risk analysis, mapping, and share with operations director.
- Contribute to programme development in Baringo County In Line With Save the Children CSP.
- Contribute to development of EPP and share humanitarian needs for children in Baringo County.
- Participate in the recruitment of the project staff.
- Identify learning and training needs of Save the Children staff and partners, deliver/facilitate/coordinate with country office Education Technical Advisor for regular and specific capacity development programs for targeted staff/partners.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Degree in Education or equivalent.
- 3 years of professional experience in implementing education programming at the field level with NGOs or other relevant actors. Child protection programming is an added advantage
- Robust experience of development and emergency program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organisation structure
- Exemplary partnership development and management skills, including in fostering strong collaboration and learning between partners;
- Experience in the design, implementation and reporting on education.
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants.
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday.
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Kenya
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Appel à CVs – Chercheurs/euses expérimenté/e/s at International Alert
- Assistant Financial Accountant at Save the Children
- (TOR) Consultancy services for Endline Evaluation (PCCP) at Save the Children
- 03 Pilots at African Parks
- Regional Technical Referent (RTR) Watsan Water Hygiene Sanitation (M/W) – Central Africa at Médecins Sans Frontières