Church World Service (CWS) was founded in 1946 and is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian denominations and communions, providing sustainable self-help, development, disaster relief, and refugee assistance around the world. The CWS mission is to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice at the national and international
Senior Human Resource Assistant – Kenya National Hire
This position is responsible for proper maintenance of HR records/files to ensure efficient and effective filing system, recruitment, management of leave, time and attendance as well as maintenance of work permits and other pertinent documents for National and international staff in accordance with the guidelines of DOS/PRM and RSC Africa policies and procedures, and support with staff welfare matter. This position serves as an overall support to the Senior HR Officer and HR Supervisor and may assist in any function of Human Resource
- Maintains an efficient and effective filing system for HR documents, including the filing of staff files using the checklist.
- Support the Recruitment Cycle (post vacancies, short-list CV’s, arrange interviews, maintain candidate employment applications, conduct reference checks, extend offers, send regrets letters to unsuccessful applicants, update recruitment report, etc.)
- Organize HR fileserver and manage the archiving of HR documents as per CWS RSC Africa policy.
- Preparation of Payroll Management Reports (PMRs) for international and national staff and communicating the same to HQ for payroll action.
- Ensure smooth coordination of travel and accommodation logistics for new international staff and advise them on the visa requirements.
- Maintains accurate staff list and complete all the information as guided by the supervisor.
- Ensure staff have read and signed all the policies as required and maintain an up to date staff list with all the policies for quarterly reporting as per Program Integrity Guidelines.
- Maintains an up to date emergency contact list for CWS Africa.
- On-board new hires (collect new hires documentation, prepare of IDs and issuance of access cards to new hires and visitors)
- Work with IT to ensure access cards are activated and returned when not in use especially by the visitors and exiting staff.
- Support with recruitment exercise and communication with candidates.
- Manage staff leave, timesheets, and communicate to the payroll person.
- Prepares regular reports including monthly overtime report, monthly sick and annual leave report for Nairobi, and monthly international staff work permit report.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of Ministry of Foreign Affairs requirements for work permit and identity card processing/cancellation for international staff.
- Work with MFA consultant to ensure international staff work permits, visas and IDs are processed in good time, and process the payment of consultancy fee.
- Maintains updated copies of staff documentation including passports, vaccination cards, national ID, and educational certificates.
- Ensure staff exiting have been provided with clearance forms and exit interview global link.
- Prepares certificates of service for separated staff in accordance with CWS Africa’s standard operating procedures and relevant labor legislation.
- Prepares monthly probationary report and share with supervisors/managers a month before the probation end date.
- Maintains and updated staff list (new hires, promotions, deletions, etc. and saved on the file server by end of every month).
- Maintains notification system of pending employee performance reviews and liaise with the supervisors and employees concerned.
- Maintains contract expiry dates and update the unit heads two months in advance.
- Supports with the development of SOP and implementation of the same.
- Ensure staff medical and other insurance coverages are up to date. This includes but is not limited to enrollment, deletions, issuance/replacement of medical cards, trainings, debits, credits, evacuations and monthly reconciliation of the payments.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned to ensure effective and efficient administration of CWS Africa Human Resources section so as to meet the program’s objectives and maintain high professional standards.
- Four (4) years’ work experience required
- three (3) years’ experience in a busy HR office is required.
- Experience in the Non-Governmental sector preferred.
- Strong computer skills, in particular Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Access
- Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent understanding of confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, process, and document information
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or four (4) years of relevant paid experience in lieu of a bachelor’s degree required.
- Diploma in Human Resources strongly preferred.
- Member of Institute of Human Resource Management preferred
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.Maintain the integrity of official records.
- Analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail.
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa.
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP)
Method of Application
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Caseworker – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service
- Programme Officer-FSL at Save the Children
- Program Officer -Nutrition(Emergency Roster Beledweyne) at Save the Children
- Programme Officer-CP &CRG 2 (Emergency Roster Baidoa) at Save the Children
- Program Officer -Education (Emergency Roster Position) -Beledwayne at Save the Children