Position Title: Senior Information Security Officer
Reports To: Information Security Manager
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Information Technology
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 7, Senior Specialist, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for development, adoption, implementation and enforcement of information security policies, procedures and standards; ensuring compliance with the organizational IT security framework; regular monitoring and network vulnerability scanning; internal IT security audit; cyber risk mitigation and internal cyber staff cyber security best practices training. The position requires flexibility, initiative and confidence in dealing with different types of complex systems, network, software, equipment and more importantly, different types of people.
- Achieves and maintains a thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM and USCIS policies and procedures regarding ICT systems management for RSC Africa
- Ensures that all CWS Africa ICT systems, data and network are secured according to the organizational defined policies, Integrity and Compliance Manual, PRM NOFO IT security requirements and the National Institute of Standards Technology (NIST) moderate controls
- Ensures consistent implementation of the NIST security framework and enforces related security policies and procedures
- Conducts Annual internal IT security Audit/Assessment against the NIST security framework; including a risk assessment and budget estimation for risk mitigation and treatment; and ensuring compliance with all the regulatory controls
- Creates and maintains all systems security documentation, standard operating procedures, and manuals
- Provides input and recommendation to IT management on systems security updates and trends
- Advises the CWS Africa leadership on key IT security areas including; risk management, legal and regulatory compliance and policy in all countries of operation; and oversees ongoing risk identification, remediation, compliance and vendor risk
- Leads cyber incident response and collaborates with the organization to improve processes
- Liaises with RPC and CWS HQ IT security personnel on any security related matters or incidents
- Serves as an SME (Subject Matter Expert) and provides information security mentoring and training to CWS Africa IT and other staff as appropriate
- Leads vendor risk management responds to outside vendor requests for information regarding policies, standards, questionnaires and baselines and provides status reporting and metrics
- Assists the Training unit with the development and implementation of security training, awareness and progress programs to educate the organization’s employees regarding information security requirements and initiatives
- Works with all IT Staff in systems configuration management, changes, updates and daily monitoring and reporting as required by IT management; Provides IT security related assistance and oversight to IT Officers in South Africa and Tanzania offices
- Resolves all IT security related requests escalated from the helpdesk
- Performs other duties assigned by the IS Manager when necessary
- Five (5) years paid work experience required
- Four (4) years of paid IT work experience is required.
- Three (3) years of experience in IT Security is required.
- Two (2) years’ experience in managing, securing, maintaining and design of computer systems, preferably Windows based, is preferred.
- Experience in managing major IT projects is preferred.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Proven information system risk and security framework management
- Information system security auditing strong skills
- Strong, up-to-date knowledge in systems security in a large network environment
- Strong Knowledge in intrusion prevention and detection systems (Cisco Firepower or any other)
- Strong Knowledge in data leak, loss and encryption methods (McAfee or any other)
- Strong working knowledge in networking (LAN, WLAN and VPN), especially with Cisco managed devices (Firewalls, Routers and switches)
- Thorough knowledge of computer licensing and legal requirements
- Strong knowledge in domain management and Active directory services.
- Knowledge in Microsoft 365 Azure compliance and security controls
- Strong knowledge and skills in Windows server 2016 and above administration
- Strong knowledge and working experience with administration of database systems, especially MS SQL Server
- Through knowledge of TCP/IP Architecture and OSI Model.
- Knowledge in Linux servers administration is a plus
- Troubleshooting and problems solving skills in a Windows based environment is a plus
- Knowledge in software development languages (PHP, Java, C# and other scripting skills) and software design is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in IT field, or an additional four (4) year’s experience in an IT related field in lieu of a bachelor’s degree required.
A Master’s degree is preferred.
Other advanced professional training in IT Security is required (CISSP, GIAC, CISA, CISM) related or equivalent.
The SISO must have the ability to:
- discuss technical information with users of diverse technical levels and discern their needs;
- facilitate and negotiate;
- communicate technical reports effectively at any level;
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
- deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP;
- maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- work independently and contribute to overall operations at management level;
- take initiative in the development and completion of projects;
- lead others and address issues as they arise;
- maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
- manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
- analyze and solve complex problems;
- work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
- effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources;
- actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in Africa
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
How to apply
Log on to CWS careers site – https://cwsglobal.org/work-with-cws/
Related Humanitarian Jobs In Africa
- Information Security Manager at Church World Service
- Tender Notice for Consultants for Financial Statement templates at MSF – Holland
- Market Systems Development Lead at DevWorks International
- Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Specialist at Creative Associates International
- Finance Officer – Nigeria IHP at Palladium Group